8Th Gen Tool Kit

• Member Contributer

I just peeked into the surprisingly light, compact plastic envelope that encloses the 2014 VFR-800FD's tool kit and found the most anemic set of tools ever. One screwdriver (with reversible straight blade and JIS shaft), the two pieces that make up the chain tension adjuster, a 14/17mm closed end offset wrench, a hex key, a fuse puller and a stamped steel thing that looks like a cheap old spoke wrench, probably for adjusting the fork preload. Oh, and just one helmet strap wire. There is a small pocket that looks like it should have held a plug gap gauge but it's empty.

I'm thinking I should be augmenting this. For those of you who have been under the covers on this bike already, what do you think are the very essentials?

Something Id have to think about more, what would be useful in a tool kit for this bike. There isnt alot in the kit.

My last bike had a pretty extensive tool kit with lots of wrenches, pliars, etc etc, I barely used any of the tools but the spark plug wrench once (with a ratchet, swivel extension, and socket to make the job alot faster), one time I tried the hex key before switching to my own hex socket on a ratchet to save alot of time. I used the screwdriver to get to the air filter one time. Once the tool bag fell apart on the CBR600 I left the tool kit at home and never had to use it in over 14 years.

About the only thing that I would ever use from that tool kit is the C-spanner for the chain eccentric, and you can get better ones on ebay.

Definitely emergency use only IMO

• Member Contributer

On the 4th Gen bikes, the spark plug tool included in the tool kit was crucial for dealing with the front plugs due to cramped space. Even Snap-On barely had anything that could sneak in there.

I'm a bit shocked that a lug wrench is no longer included. I'm kicking myself for not swiping the one from the old bike before handing it to the breaker.

Pliers are a last-ditch tool but still handy for a thing or two. Aside of a screwdriver, I'm wondering what wrench or socket sizes (aside of the provided 14/17 would be good to have for road-side work. Whatever is used to get at and work with typical service or breakage things, i.e. hand and foot controls, brake calipers and pads, fenders, bits in and around the rear subframe, lifting the tank and getting under it, removing the wheels, etc.

In both of my bikes: Leatherman tool, a small size Vise-Grip (doubles as an emergency lever/shifter peg), roll of 100-mile-an-hour-tape, 10 feet of para-cord, high-volume CO2 inflation/plug kit along with a digital air gauge, set of metric Allen wrenches and mini set of metric sockets.

The tire kit is an absolute minimum requirement. When you need one you REALLY need one.

IIRC, Honda's been skimpy with their tool kits for two generations of VFRs already before the 8th. So hearing this is no surprise....

Blame it either on the bean counters or Honda's lawyers that don't want us to sue them for skinned knuckles.....

• Member Contributer

I figure it's a clever way of cheating on the curb weight numbers, as well as saving a few yen.

I already keep a tire kit, a first aid kit and a couple of other basics. I'm just thinking more along the lines of what I would need to work on the various fasteners around the bike. It looks like a 5mm allen driver to augment/replace the L key would save a lot of skinned knuckles. And I have a 1/4" socket set. What else?

• Member Contributer

At least you have a "tool kit". The ST1300 used to ship with just a single 5mm Allen key wrapped in bubble wrap!

Ciao,

At least you have a "tool kit". The ST1300 used to ship with just a single 5mm Allen key wrapped in bubble wrap!

And that was probably all you needed during the first 100k miles ... :wink:

• Member Contributer

Well it looks to me like a 5mm key does get a lot of mileage on this bike so right now my second tool kit bag contains a 1/4" drive 5mm hex, a 1/4" spinner handle, the axle wrench from the '97, a 19mm socket and 1/4"->3/8" drive adapter, a 1/4" drive metric socket/ratchet set and a few other various basics. In the next few days I need to get under the panels to route some farkle wiring, so I guess I'll find out more soon enough.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Any more thoughts on must-have bits to add to the 8th gen's tool kit?

I wanted to remove and replace the upper cowl a couple of weeks ago and discovered that I didn't have anything handy that would allow me to remove the nuts from the longer forward studs that secure the mirrors.  My regular 10mm 1/4 drive socket could remove the rear-most flange nuts but I needed something deeper (and probably thin-wall) for the forward ones.  The way it's set it there, I don't even know if an ordinary 10mm open-end would have done it.

Archived