Two Brothers Header Making Contact With Swingarm.

The 2bros header I recently installed on my 4th gen is rubbing the swingarm ,when the suspension compresses I can feel it rub the header tube( I think it's the no.3 cylinder).I can't get even the smallest feeler gauge in there and I'm not sure what to do about it.Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Member Contributer

Rubber mallet! Those headers can be tricky to install. Odds are something is not fully seated somewhere.

This is my RC36 (3rd gen).

post-362-0-64025600-1405543814.jpg

Right-exit TBR.

Ciao,

That would be a shame. I wonder if I could heat it up and bend it just a bit to get enough clearance. My other option would be to take some material off that center stand mount.

• Member Contributer

I'm assuming you got them used... they could have been in a wreck and bent... or bent in storage. I'd try to ensure everything is installed correct and straight and if that didn't work some creative encouragement of the pipes with heat and force would be my next step...

• Member Contributer

did you replace the gaskets? loosen all bolts..shake the pipes like they owe you money ..

tighten in a rocking pattern ..a little at a time on the rear headers. check if its better,, if not,, either shave the stand mount for whack the pipe with a ball peen hammer( pipe off the bike) to make room.

Pelase review the pipes for any dents/dings and report back.

They can definitely be moved around, let's determine if you're fighting any unusual circumstances first.

I fitted a set to my 4th gen, after wrapping with DEI wrap, and they still have room.

Bought it used,PO took it off his bike and sold it to me.

Installed with new gaskets.

I inspected it before buying and didn't see any damage,also took a few good looks before installing.

I have it loosened up now,I'll give it a good shaking and see if anything will seat better.

Right after I got it.

gallery_29396_7307_784659.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice looking exhaust system... I'm jealous

might be a silly question but is it possible to switch the rear header primaries? Could they be installed on the wrong cylinder?

I don't think it would be possible to mix them up they are far too different in shape.But just for the sake of being thorough I have the one with the big bend on cyl no.3 or the right rear.

I just took it off then re installed and came up with the same result.

I'm going to file that mount down before trying to bend the header,I only need just a tiny bit of clearance.

Well I took it off 4 times today trying to get it in place and it's better now,not perfect but better.I noticed when I tried tightening the offending primary with out the rest of the header on it would slowly pull into the swing arm as it tightened.

I guess the only thing I can do now is heat it up and try to get it in shape that way.

• Member Contributer

Mine is a right-exit, so a completely different header, I'm afraid. TBR always said that the headers would not fit on a 3rd-gen with a center stand, but I'd never heard anything about having to modify or remove the mounting lugs. Pulling in one direction while being tightened says "bent tube" to me... Good luck.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

look, these pipes are SO strong and everyone gets whiney about them.. even if you heat the sucker with a torch to orange hot and try to bend it . you wont do much.

place a pry bar or a screwdriver in the offending spot and tighten the pipes. :wink:

Archived