Who Knew It Was The Tire?

C4cycle

So, I recently bought a 2002 VFR. Good shape, a little high in K's, but all good for the price. When I test rode it, I thought 'Hmm, seems a little reluctant to tuen in, must be a bigger sportbike characteritic'. Who knew how untrue that was? I knew the front tire was all but done (and didnt want to see how bad it was to be in rain), but wow, what a difference! The Michelin Road 2 I personally installed should be tops in rain and I have to say it has now become mind control for the turn in! You all knew that, of course, but I simply learned to love the VFR even more :)

• Member Contributer

Now drop the triple down the forks another 10mm or so to help even more. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/29516-how-to-guide-raise-forks-lower-triple/

10 might be a little much from the get-go. I'd start at 5 and bump up 2mm at a time.

But new tires do make a huge difference. Especially when going from a worn, cupped set to a brand new, sporty profile set.

• Member Contributer

I did 5mm few hundred miles before tire swap and wonder if i wasted time now, i mean she flops fast now, have to watch low speed stuff. Have yet to be able to tell on higher speed twitchiness, need more seat time. New tires are amazing though :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Running PP front/PR2 rear with the forks dropped 8mm and the rear raised. I think the rear is up 9mm (3mm shim x leverage ratio), but I don't remember off the top of my head.

I did 5mm few hundred miles before tire swap and wonder if i wasted time now, i mean she flops fast now, have to watch low speed stuff. Have yet to be able to tell on higher speed twitchiness, need more seat time. New tires are amazing though :fing02:

Try Pilot Power profile front tire and it will turn and a lot quicker.

But yes tires make a huge difference in how a bike turn and handles.

Woah, woah, woah, one step at a time! :)

I know I will get to the mods eventually, just stoked on the improved response now. I also have a PP back, PR2 front (as one of you posted). Brand new back, seems a fair combo.

Woah, woah, woah, one step at a time! :)

I know I will get to the mods eventually, just stoked on the improved response now. I also have a PP back, PR2 front (as one of you posted). Brand new back, seems a fair combo.

Please confirm your tire positions, as mentioned you want to softer read grippier tire on the front which would be the PP. The PR2 should be on the rear.

• Member Contributer

well even if he has it "backwards" its not like he is gona explode into a ball of fire the first left hand sweeper he does

No. But kind of similar to putting snow tires on the back and all weathers on the front, on your front wheel drive car. You'll still be able to drive. It just won't work as well.

well even if he has it "backwards" its not like he is gona explode into a ball of fire the first left hand sweeper he does

Yeah but his previous tires must have been really really bad, I would think road 2 on the front and pp on the rear, would be counter productive, and weird.

Good to know. I am likely to put another PR2 on (the back this time) when the Power wears out. It can rain on any given day in PNW.

...missed the last few replies...

I had to replace the front, it was fully shot. I didnt want a PP (or PPs at all), but as I mentioned, the back that it came with (PP) was all but new. I realize it might be/is a mismatch. It'll have to wait though and I'm sure the sort of riding I'm doing won't cause me any tire related grief. Pretty conservative as the last and only other street bike I've owned was many years ago and it was a Transalp. As you can imagine, I'm not likely to be draggin a knee anytime soon. With my legs over something like a KTM Adventure? Different story (plenty of dirtbike time).

Thnx again.

Archived