Any Tips For Fork Seals?

• Member Contributer

Especially if there's someone who might be willing to help a little (with a garage maybe) near Miami. Sorry, couldn't search well with my phone.

Thanks,

Chris

there are lots of guides on the net, theres even one on here somewhere that HS wrote up.

I used one that I found on speedzilla for my SP2 forks just last month, although one is leaking again so I may have stuffed something up or i've picked up some damage since then.

My only other tip is if you can afford it get a bike shop to do it, theres a lot of frigging around and other tools required (or made), and the potential to need to redo if you stuff it up like I may have...

• Member Contributer

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing, until the local shop quoted me $300 to install them...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

wow..

300 buck.. better than the 550 charged up here..

in anycase..if your broke and NEEEEEEED those seals..

the method i used for a pal in the middle of no where..

buy the seals . and a PVC pipe with the hole slightly bigger that your upper tube.

a quart of AFT fluid. and 2 condoms..(lubed)

and one of these. a double ended pick..

scribpick_zpsef1d7249.jpg

with the fork sill on the bike. use the pic the pull the seal out..

it WILL NOT be fast and easy!!

it will be a pain in the ass!!

but unless you have an impact gun to get the bottom bolt off this is the way to go...

start in the middle grove of the seal and dig in and pill up work your way around the seal and pull up little by little..

once the seal is out . remove forks from bike.

slide the old seal off.. wipe tubes clean. place condom on top of tube.. slide new seal on to the condom. cut the tip . and slide condom and seal down. remove the condom. (pull up, hold seal down.)

use pve to drive new seal home.. and reassemble according to the manual. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Lol, well, 300 is starting to sound better then...

• Member Contributer

if you know some one at a gas station garage..

loosen the top for cap.

take the forks off the bike

drain the fluid by taking off the top cap..

put top cap back on.

take to a garage and have the guy spend 2 minutes removing the bottom bolt with a heavy duty impact gun.

NOTHING else.

just a damned big 500 foot lbs of torque with a socket adapter ..

if the dude asks "why??'

explain the damned thing SPINS ,but with mucho power its a BBRRRBBBRRRP and and DONE!!

buy the dude a beer. :beer:

• Member Contributer

If you do it yourself. Yes, the two bottom bolts can be a pain. If you can't get them free do not panic. Just drill off the head, remove tube, and thread out bolt with vise grips. Then replace bolt. Sorry to say but after x number of years that few more minutes may be part of the job. No biggy.

• Member Contributer

I did fork seals and bushings for the first time myself this winter, "very easy". Watch it done on you tube, once or twice. The seals i took to local shop, they used there seal driver on them, chaged me $10.00.

• Member Contributer

Only thing I would add is use Honda seals, all other are not an improvement and pay close attention so that you do not mount the seal upside down (you must look at the direction of the flange on the sweep).

• Member Contributer

Any input on 300 for new fork seals vs 1000 for a usd fork swap?

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't pay $300 to do what should take a few hours. Are you implying that an inverted fork swap would cost you $1000 with materials and install? If you are not willing to do the seals I would assume you are paying someone to install inverted forks 100 percent complete, with materials for $1000. Do you need inverted forks?

• Member Contributer

I'm short on garage space (as in, none, and the association frowns on maintenance in the parking garage...) I'm pretty sure no VFR /needs/ inverted forks, but when it's 600 more than seals... And, yeah, the 1k was parts labor and configuration, from a shop that's actually done a couple before. Plus I might be able to trade them some BMW parts I've got...

• Member Contributer

Inverted done right for 1k is a good deal. The brake work needed has to be done correctly. Add in SS lines. All depends on your bank account...

• Member Contributer

Fork seals????

I would advise using a good hefty club instead..... :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
So, with some shopping help from the forum, I got my fork seals fixed:

Somehow, the repair made the brakes /a lot/ stronger and smoother, but they also lowered my riding position and drastically reduced my lock to lock turning radius.

Fork seal replacement

Archived