2013 Vfr 1200F Dyno Runs

dynajohn

• Member Contributer

Sorry, emissions are emissions no matter what gear you are in, and even then emissions are tested when the bike is stationary, in neutral. If a manufacturer are going to put T/C on a motorcycle, put one on that actually works, The Honda T/C on the VFR1200 is not worth having, which suites me anyway, because I ride a motorcycle by feel, through a good set of rubber underneath me. Yes I have used the Bazzaz traction control on my K5, but like the quick-shifter I could turn them off. Because on the road I never used either, for track only as far as I was concerned.

what's so much fun about Traction Control ??

if the restrictions are about emissions, why don't the CBR's,,Busa's and ZX 14's have it ??

A little engine work and a dyno re-tune for the changes yielded some improved dyno numbers on my 2013 VFR 1200F. All engine parts are still Honda, no aftermarket stuff. :beer:

Rounding to the nearest whole number I am now at 168 HP and 94 ft/lbs TQ.

A little engine work and a dyno re-tune for the changes yielded some improved dyno numbers on my 2013 VFR 1200F. All engine parts are still Honda, no aftermarket stuff. :beer:

I will put these dyno charts up as soon as Commenwealth e-mails them to me. One of the more interesting things I found during the latest round of dyno testing & tuning was a 5th gear dyno run that clearly shows the speed limiter in the ECU cutting power to limit speed.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the wheelie issue is because of the speed sensor on the front wheel not the traction control. Or is that for DCT only?

I thought the wheelie issue is because of the speed sensor on the front wheel not the traction control. Or is that for DCT only?

My bike is a 2013 F model. When the TC is on the TC light will come on and interrupt power when the front wheel lifts off the ground when the bike starts to wheelie. When the TC is turned off there is no wheelie power restriction. When the TC is on and the front wheel comes of the ground I assume the ECU detects to large a deviation in the wheel speed between the front & rear wheels and interprets this as a loss of traction and cuts power.

so glad my 2010 doesn't have wheelie control....

Mine doesn't either if I turn it off. Nice to have the TC feature though on wet roads.

dynajohn,

You should have your ECU back on Monday the 21st.

I was able to derestrict for full power in all gears (derestrict 1st, 2nd, and 6th gear)

Remove the top speed limiter

Disable the exhaust servo motor so it can be removed without any FI error codes

Lower the fan operating temperature (­203°F from 223°F)

We were able to do all of this reprogramming through the harness ECU connector WITHOUT cutting or drilling into the ECU.

Test it out and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!!!

dynajohn,

You should have your ECU back on Monday the 21st.

I was able to derestrict for full power in all gears (derestrict 1st, 2nd, and 6th gear)

Remove the top speed limiter

Disable the exhaust servo motor so it can be removed without any FI error codes

Lower the fan operating temperature (­203°F from 223°F)

We were able to do all of this reprogramming through the harness ECU connector WITHOUT cutting or drilling into the ECU.

Test it out and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!!!

Will do Don. You didn't mention the rev limiter increase to 11,000 RPM but I assume it was done. I will see if I can get a dyno session scheduled next week. Will e-mail you all the sheets as well as call you when we are finished.

• Member Contributer

I will put these dyno charts up as soon as Commenwealth e-mails them to me. One of the more interesting things I found during the latest round of dyno testing & tuning was a 5th gear dyno run that clearly shows the speed limiter in the ECU cutting power to limit speed.

I would sure like to know what "A little engine work" alludes to! Can this be done without "deep massaging" of engine internals?

I would sure like to know what "A little engine work" alludes to! Can this be done without "deep massaging" of engine internals?

Depends on what you call deep massaging. Nothing was touched below the cylinder heads. It is a significant amount of work but since I did everything myself except outside machine shop work (milling the heads and re-cutting the valve seats $165), it only cost me my time. The only other cost was Honda gaskets.

"A little engine work"

1. removed the cylinder heads, this requires pulling the engine.

2. milled the cylinder heads .020.

3. mild port work on the intake ports, left the exhaust ports alone except for port matching where the valve seat & port meet.

4. un-shrouded valves in combustion chambers.

5. re-cut valve seats for better flow with Serdi valve seat machine.

6. cut additional angle above the 45 on intake valves.

6. slotted the cam sprocket bolt holes.

7. installed cams and de-greed to stock specs in manual.

8. re-installed heads and engine.

No aftermarket parts used, just refining stock cylinder head components.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necro but I was wondering if the 12+ models still had restrictions.

Personally I think the TC could be downright dangerous in the wrong circumstance. I've had it kick in suddenly taking off from the lights without a perceivable wheel lift or spin and if I'd chopped the throttle I'd probably have ended up on my side or with traffic getting angry at me for having to try and juggle the weight of the bike back to upright. I'd hate to have it kick in on a corner. It would definitely overload the front suspension and then wash. I forget to turn it off most of the time and I don't really need it as I'm not the wheeling type. I don't really want to pay for new bearings.

I'm not unhappy with the 12+ model power but I'm a relatively conservative and inexperienced rider and I have fun within my own limitations and try to push my boundaries up slowly. I don't see myself springing for any power mods until I've got a good 20 grand on the clock.

Yes the 12+ models are restricted although Honda apparently did alter the ECU somewhat to improve the fuel map. The TC on this bike is crude compared to what I have on my 2012 ZX 14 or my 2014 FJR 1300ES.

picking up my new 2012 on Monday....i inquired with Don Guhl as to whether the reflash could change the traction control switch to be default OFF instead of ON, in effect making it into a RAIN switch...awaiting his reply....i don't know enough about ECUs to know whether or not this is possible...i never in 44,000 miles on my 2010 had the need for traction control function on dry pavement.....i don't want to have to turn it off every time i start the bike....i like wheelies !!!!

found a 2012 in Marysville Ohio.....brand new, the owner of the dealership took it home one night and put 116 miles on it....making the road trip from NJ tomorrow, trailering it home....i would have flown out and rode it home if it was summer and i'm still waiting for new helmet and gear to arrive

post-23916-0-02120700-1447536374.jpeg

Archived