What's Better - A Rebuilt (As-New) Vfr 750 Oe Shock Or A Lightly-Used 929 Shock?

I have a spare VFR shock at home at the moment which i planned on having rebuilt soon but I wonder if that is any better than a lightly-used, low-miler 929 shock?

I'd love to hear from people who had both at some stage. I could always sell the spare 750 shock and look for a 929 if it really was that much better...

Although sometimes on Irish roads I wonder why I don't have a traillie what with all of the potholes that the rain just digs out...

• Member Contributer

In the states, the 929 shock is incredibly cheap. Do you have the budget to buy a 929 shock and have it rebuilt?

I think I would still go for the 929.

• Member Contributer

New boost to the Irish fishing industry!

Massive growth opportunities for production!

april-2012-pothole-fishing.jpg

• Member Contributer

It's really about what your after. I have a rebuilt OEM ABS model shock on my '09 as it is really my commuter/tourer bike and I wanted adjustable pre-load more than adjustable compression damping. Both shocks are made by Showa, but the 929 has additional features not found on the stock VFR shock, a remote reservoir and compression adjustment. Since it is going to be rebuilt, the damping and spring rates should be built to your riding weight and riding typr you'll be doing mostly i.e. Sport riding, track riding or commuting/touring.

Oh yeah, like most questions asked here, this topic has probably been discussed before...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70177-avantages-for-929-shock/

• Member Contributer

Thanks eveyone!c Still haven't made my mind up but at least I've my front end redone...my oil and Progressive Springs. Need a test ride to see what I think of them now...I hope they're good....

Don't get discouraged if it doesn't feel 100% to your expectation, you may have to "match" the rear before you'll know for sure.

• Member Contributer

You need to do both ends to fully realize the benefits of good suspension, and suspension is the single best upgrade you can do to most production bikes.

I would go with the 929 shock if you can't afford a Penske, Ohlins, etc. It's a huge upgrade from the stock Showa if you have the right spring rate.

Archived