Better Mileage From The '12 And Up?

Auron

So one of Honda's claims was for better mileage with the other updates, but like the supposed increase in fuel tank size I'm kinda skeptical. Fuelly someone confirms this but how is everyone else feeling about it?

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty happy with the mileage on my '12 and think that the MPG for its 1200cc engine is respectable. I have managed a few 200-mile range tank fills with normal riding, but I usually find myself refilling around the 180mi mark when the last fuel bar is blinking. Haven't compared MPGs to a 2010, but I can't imagine it being much different.

I'm pretty happy with the mileage on my '12 and think that the MPG for its 1200cc engine is respectable. I have managed a few 200-mile range tank fills with normal riding, but I usually find myself refilling around the 180mi mark when the last fuel bar is blinking.

exactly my experience.

Have had the low fuel flashing bar happen at 175-185 around town, 190-200 on the road.

• Member Contributer

How do you manage that, 125-130 before the fuel light starts flashing, that's normal for me, and if I am making progress on some of my favourite B roads, high double figures, is then the norm. :smile2:

• Member Contributer

How do you manage that, 125-130 before the fuel light starts flashing, that's normal for me, and if I am making progress on some of my favourite B roads, high double figures, is then the norm. :smile2:

Some of us are a little more ham fisted than others :)

In my 2010 model low fuel bar starts flashing around at 160 on the road.

I can ride still 40-45 miles before I have to refill.

If the reserve in the 2012+ models is the same then it looks like the mileage is a bit better.

When I was riding through Texas and New Mexico, I was averaging 50 mpg. I can't complain about the range on my VFR1200 since my buddy had to flip over to reserve at 90 miles on his Magna. THAT is ridiculous.

exactly....smooth is fast

+1. Even at the track, one of the first lessons I got was to make sure we roll ON/OFF the throttle smoothly and deliberately, instead of whacking and chopping. It translates well to road riding.

I don't have the z-bomb and don't really feel I need one.

Bazzaz, you should try it, for what they cost, you will be pleasantly surprised. :smile2:

my 2010 finally runs the way i expected it to when i bought it because of the z bomb

i avg 36.0 mpg and my best tankful was 40.8...starts flashing around 125-130 mi and a ran dry once at 178....z bomb def affects smile-age !!!!...that's with Zfi fuel map

i wasn't using Fuelly yet to track my mpg when i installed the z bomb but it didn't seam to affect the mpg too much....the re-mapping knocked about 2 mpg off of my avg....i don't mind !!!!....bike runs GREAT !!!!

My 2012 model drinks less than my Gen6 did by a good amount. So 400cc more and less fuel hungry then yep it is good. The tank is smaller than the gen6 but the lower usage nearly evens it out. I used to be able to get about 350km out of my gen6 but the gen7 I can get 330km if I really try. 300km very easy.

• Member Contributer

exactly....smooth is fast

+1. Even at the track, one of the first lessons I got was to make sure we roll ON/OFF the throttle smoothly and deliberately, instead of whacking and chopping. It translates well to road riding.

I don't have the z-bomb and don't really feel I need one.

At the track I agree, smooth inputs. But out in the twisties it is fun to whack her open now and then. It isn't good for tire wear or mpg, but oh my it's fun. WFO out of a corner is something like Heaven to me, it's better than sex. It never, ever, gets old.

At the track I agree, smooth inputs. But out in the twisties it is fun to whack her open now and then. It isn't good for tire wear or mpg, but oh my it's fun. WFO out of a corner is something like Heaven to me, it's better than sex. It never, ever, gets old.

I understand.

For me, out riding with my buddies, we usually ride "The Pace", which to me is a lot more satisfying that exploiting the raw HP of the bike. On the straights is when we slow down for those riding with us that might be a bit less experienced. Carrying momentum through the turns and sweepers is the main focus. So is keeping a good formation within the group. "Brake lights rarely flash" is an over-used term that nevertheless holds very true.

For riding "The Pace", smoothness is absolutely king.

About the only time we might open up is on passing other vehicles. For that, we are never in 1st & 2nd gear.

i hate riding in groups ..i do 95% of my riding by myself...set my own pace....i have the Valkyrie for going out riding with the boys

Doing 'the pace' as Volfy describes it, I can make good average speeds on single lane roads, close to the limit but still do not get 200 miles (320 kms). Recently got close with 291 km and still more than half a litre left (phew!). That is with fully loaded saddle bags and top box but no pillon. The extra half a litre in the new model would be nice, but I would still take a siphon to borrow some off those more generously endowed ( eg. Tankers like the Adventure BMW). If I go on my own, I can get as bad as 270 kms or with a lot of motorway in 6th gear I can break 320. Once I rode at pace with a 1200 Multistrada and two BMW 1200 for 1100+ kms in a single day. We all filled up together, hardly quarter a litre difference between us, their tanks just slightly bigger give them a little more solace.

Its is a 2010 with no mods other than a Two Brothers exhaust.

post-23773-0-19230100-1391941451.jpg

• Member Contributer

I just went out in the garage and checked my 2012s avg fuel indicator.......42.3..... I have a 2 Bros Slip on, Bzaaz 1st and 2nd gear plug, and a PCV. I don't think I re-set it since I got back from Kansas last August....but I haven't ever ridden it until the last fuel bar starts flashing...to chicken...

I just went out in the garage and checked my 2012s avg fuel indicator.......42.3..... I have a 2 Bros Slip on, Bzaaz 1st and 2nd gear plug, and a PCV. I don't think I re-set it since I got back from Kansas last August....but I haven't ever ridden it until the last fuel bar starts flashing...to chicken...

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that indicator is, uhh, optimistic.

Archived