Better Mileage From The '12 And Up?

Auron

Onboard trip computers usually are.

Although... Reno, NV is at 4500ft, so 42mpg isn't beyond possibilities. I ride down here at a few feet above sea level and I can get very close to 40mpg on average, if I take it easy. That's calculated off of actual miles from GPS and gallons to top off fuel tank.

my computer is fairly accurate, within 1-2mpg.

on road trips I calculate fillups and compare to what the computer says, and it's damn close.

at the elevation I do most of my riding at (live at 6,100 ft and most riding done between 4k and 11k), 43-45 calculated is not only possible, but pretty normal for keeping an average two lane road trip pace.

sporting pace will drop it down, but I have NO complaints about this big V4 being a gas hog.

FWIW, I just gassed up this afternoon. 137 miles and 3.6gals = 38 mpg. That with a healthy dose of commuting in slow moving traffic. Pure hwy gets better but not much. That's because I find it difficult to stay at the PSL.

I am sure I can consistently get over 40 mpg if I really try, but who buys a bike like this to hypermile?

I guess I don't know which bugs me more...the fact that these trip computers are so inaccurate, or that people frequently quote that readout as the gospel (not talking about anyone here). I spend an awful lot of time at work looking at ECM data lists. The ECM knows the rpm all the time. It knows the injection duration all the time. It knows the vehicle speed and distance all the time. And fuel pressures don't vary nearly as much as they used to. So why are trip computers so notoriously inaccurate? As a technician, it drives me crazy. You could talk about tire circumference, but even on new vehicles with new oem tires they're still wrong.

I guess I don't know which bugs me more...the fact that these trip computers are so inaccurate, or that people frequently quote that readout as the gospel (not talking about anyone here).

so a couple of people post here that their computer is actually pretty accurate, is regularly checked at fillups, and does a reasonable job of estimating 'miles before you walk', etc.....and you post right back "that these trip computers are so inaccurate"

and by and large, the other bikes I've owned with such a feature are not "notoriously inaccurate"

but hey....maybe Honda made great strides with their onboard computer in the next iteration of the VFR 1200 (shakes head)

A guy makes a device called Fuelbot to give digital readout of real-time fuel consumption, see here. Originally designed for the SV bikes, he has since modified it for other bikes including the Speed Triple. I actually bought a kit for the SV1000S. It can be finely calibrated to be deadnuts accurate, taking only 2 signals from the bike - injector control line and vehicle speed.

These days, vehicle ECUs have far more control data and feedback signal at its disposal and can be as accurate as the mfr wishes to implement. From what I've gathered from the countless cars and bikes I've driven, virtually all of them err on the side of optimistic with mpg and mph, and pessimistic with fuel gauge and range (miles to empty). Some more than others. I am sure that is no coincident. They don't want you to complain - or sue them - for running out of gas or get a speeding ticket.

To me, they are as useful as I chose to regard them. I go by Ronald Reagan's motto: Trust... but verify. :cool:

• Member Contributer

I don't know what all the fuss is about, when the fuel light starts flashing, lower your revs, and look for a fuel station, its not rocket science, if you don't like the fuel economy your getting, sell your VFR1200, or don't use high revs, keep it nice and smooth, or you could buy a SV. :smile2:

...or you could buy a SV. :smile2:

Hey... I resemble that remark. :happy:

Seriously though, the SV1K gets about the same mpg and range. That's fine with me, since my "range gauge" start flashing about the same on either bike, and always before the fuel gauge/light does.

From what I've gathered from the countless cars and bikes I've driven, virtually all of them err on the side of optimistic with mpg and mph, and pessimistic with fuel gauge and range (miles to empty). Some more than others. I am sure that is no coincident. They don't want you to complain - or sue them - for running out of gas or get a speeding ticket. :cool:

I agree completely. Pity it's such a crazy notion to just want accurate info without the mfr feeling the need to protect me from myself.

so a couple of people post here that their computer is actually pretty accurate, is regularly checked at fillups, and does a reasonable job of estimating 'miles before you walk', etc.....and you post right back "that these trip computers are so inaccurate"

Yikes! Sorry I struck a nerve there Blake. Where we differ is that you consider a 2 mpg discrepancy reasonably accurate and I don't. I realize it's a very small percentage of error. But again, knowing how much real-time data the ECM is constantly fed, I think it should be better. When the trip computer in my car says I have zero miles 'before I walk', I generally have about a gallon left. If I run out of fuel, I blame myself, not the vehicle. Perhaps that puts me in the minority. Sorry I ruffled your feathers. :wink:

• Member Contributer

gallery_28508_7135_163227.jpg

This guy got the answer bigger tank ..

GerhardVFRRider

Well I have done it. Cost me R3000 (US$300) for metal work and R2250 (US$225) for paintwork.

I have not filled it up but they assured me that it will take between 4 and 6 more litres.

I find the computer is accurate on the open road when you are moving all the time but when you get into town and start stop/starting and waiting at lights etc, it gets out very quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2010. 7.9 liters/100 km - 29.7 mpg (usa) since new. Now at 16,000 km. I put on a PC5 a couple months after I got it to try to cure stalling and misfiring at low rpm. I had an ecu reflash done at the dealer at the start of last season (fixed the misfires), and added a Z Bomb at the same time. Much of my riding is done at a spirited pace, but that's still pretty bad. I do enjoy the bike, and figure I can live with the mileage just fine, although I do wonder why most others get better. But, that's life!

www.fuelly.com/driver/brandx/vfr1200f

Topped off this morning at 170.1 miles, took 3.99 gallons - good mix of around town stop 'n go, some 80mph interstate, two lane rambling... (42.6 mpg)

Another tank today - went to flashing last LED at 185 miles, computer calculates 33 miles to empty. Same conditions, little of everything.

I think Blake helps the case the newer bike DO in fact get better mileage although it's still difficult to say for certain, especially since we get better mileage at higher altitude but overall Honda's claim they are more efficient seems to be more than fluff, as opposed to them saying the tank hold .1 more gallons.

Some rider's not filling their tanks to the absolute? I wouldn't know if the tank has a funny shape inside, but sometimes that can make a difference.

sounds like they leaned-out the EFI some more on the '12...i lost a few MPG after re-mapping and i don't care...stopping for gas is not the worst part of my day

Are all 5 gallons usable?

yes , other day I run out of gas , fortunately I coast to gas station and fill up with 4.9 gallons . I did not want to spill gas over my paint ,but theoretically I could fit 5 gal.

Lesson learned that once there is no number flashing on miles left you better see or be at the gas station.

My average is 36MPG .

Archived