Ipad On The Bike

oyama

• Member Contributer

I have a first generation iPad that I would like to use mount on my 6th gen and use it as a GPS on the bike. I have been looking for waterproof, mountable case that allows the iPad to be charged while on the bike. I have been looked at OtterBox, Griffin, LifeProof, does not have 1st generation iPad case, Moxiware ($300!!) is quite pricey.

Do you guys know any other brand or solution that would help my iPad mount securely on a 6th gen in a waterproof case that allows charging?

• Member Contributer

I have a case called Lifeproof that is waterproof to 10 metres. I doubt it is waterproof with the charging port plugged in but with the charging port closed, believe me when I say it IS waterproof. And bubble bath proof. My kids were having a bubble bath together (they were 3 and 5 at the time) and my son jumped out of the tub and got the iPad from the bedroom to show his sister a new Angry Birds game he had downloaded and he dropped it in the tub. The case worked as advertised and no harm was done, other than his iPad price ledges were revoked for a week.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Zoom Zoom,

I looked at the LifeProof case before but they do not make case for the original iPad, unfortunately. :sad:

• Member Contributer

What about ram mount? I think they have there own universal type cases that are water proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grayv3,

Can you throw me a link? I do not see any case that would fit an iPad 1.

• Member Contributer

Otterbox?

They do not have case for first generation iPad. :sad:

http://www.rammount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx#/

They don't have a case but have tab lock holders for lifeproof & other cases for iPad 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do plan to use RAMmount to mount. I just do not have anything to mount yet. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Would it fit in the map pocket of a tank bag and then you can put the rain cover over the tank bag if needed? Of course the touch screen is worthless at that point. :comp13:

http://www.excheap.com/product_info.php?products_id=5756

I am not recommending this particular bag for your situation. It's just to give you some ideas of some possibilities. You could get something similar and make your own method of mounting the device to something like a RAM mount along with the bag. This would keep your device rain proof, so long as you seal it properly after modifying it, and still with a usable touch screen.

You could also go the super cheap route and just throw a gallon zip lock bag over it. :beer:

pshh waterproofing.

If rain is being forecast I just stick my gps (chinese noname 5" gps is my choice, replaceable for ~$50) in a ziplock sammich bag and them back into the mount.

Not waterproof by any real means but so far has been 100% resistant to heavy rain.

But if you really want to use an ipad instead of something smaller and cheaper then I'd recommend sitting it a tank bag's map holder as some others have mentioned. Much safer in there

Archived