Bike Runs Out Of Steam

• Member Contributer

With stock gearing you may not have the hp to get to redline in top gear... you may actually go faster at redline in 5th gear.

How fast were you going?

It can but i dont have that option on most of the time because i'd rather not advertise to a cop that i was going 100something mph when they only caught me going 5 over. But the next time i put my big boy pants on i'll log the data.

• 3 weeks later...

I was annoyed with the same thing.

My bike, while stock was having a hard time kicking over 200kmph - 120mph..

this to me seemed to be strange for a rather high performance bike from that era..

anyhow, the following winter (3years ago) i went through and redid a bunch of stuff.. one of the things i did was put on a straight shot, Two Brothers, left exit exhaust system - thereby passing by the collector box, and saving some weigh. These headers were mated to a Delkevic shorty style pipe (big mouth, no restrictor plate), meaning it was loud bu it would breathe freely. The next step was to re-jet the carburators. I did the DynoJet stage one kit on it (new needles, new jets with spray shrouds installed, and the slides drilled). I also rebuilt my forks (new seals, new oil etc), as well as adding steel braided brake lines and rebuilding the calipers.

Now the bike is much more confidence inspiring on the road, better stopping power (i think), but one thing i know for sure is that the top speed has moved significantly - now i can get up to 235kmph without sweat. It feels that it can go faster, but with the imminent danger of being a public freeway, with other cars and all the unpredictability that comes with that - I limit myself to that.

it isn't without troubles though, i should warn, as now i see some strange things happening.. if i try to bring the bike into the red in a lower gear (2nd) there is a strange knock and starvation like sensation... I'm not sure what this is about. I haven't had the carbs tuned or synced since rebuild either...

I will try and take the snorkel off the air box, and see what that does, as soon as i get my hands on a spare airbox. I hear that is what will complete the picture. I am running a K&N filter now..

So long story short - if you want to go faster than 120mph without an issue on one of these bikes - it seems that you need to do some modification.

I find that somewhat strange, as I assumed that these bikes would be faster.

lucky i wasn't in it for the speed, there are so many other pluses to these wonderful machines, that speed (if you can get it) is just a bonus..

there is a lot of winter left (at leas up here in Toronto) so if you set your mind to it you can do what i did, and get that thing moving!

cheers!

• Member Contributer

I will try and take the snorkel off the air box, and see what that does, as soon as i get my hands on a spare airbox.

cheers!

Why would you need a spare airbox? The snorkel can be easily removed/re-fitted as it is made of rubber...

• Member Contributer

So long story short - if you want to go faster than 120mph without an issue on one of these bikes - it seems that you need to do some modification.

Negative. The stock bike in good, maintained condition will easily go past 120mph in 6th gear. Something else must have been going on with your bike that you fixed when you went through everything.

I have worked on European VFR's, having velocity stacks factory fitted.

My bike in stock condition had a problem reaching 240 kph.

With a K&N filter fitted, a Laser pro'dor 4 into 1 can with good silencer. No rejetting, the bike runs better on stock jets, then it did on dynojet stuff. (fuel/air ratio checked, being perfect) 18 inch rear wheel replaced for a 17 inch, so my gearing is slightly shorter. Now the bike runs like hell. Getting the speedo meter past the 255 kph. Faster is impossible, because of the rev limiter. I am able to do power wheely's in second gear, wich is impossible in stock condition.

With a K&N filter fitted, a Laser pro'dor 4 into 1 can with good silencer. No rejetting, the bike runs better on stock jets, then it did on dynojet stuff. (fuel/air ratio checked, being perfect) 18 inch rear wheel replaced for a 17 inch, so my gearing is slightly shorter. Now the bike runs like hell. Getting the speedo meter past the 255 kph. Faster is impossible, because of the rev limiter. I am able to do power wheely's in second gear, wich is impossible in stock condition.

for mine also stock except exhaust and 250 km/h on gps and scared the s..t out of me

• Member Contributer

I had a chance to do some high speed runs and at WOT in 6th it wont go past 10krpm is this normal or a sign of it running lean? the bike is 100% stock.

for mine also stock except exhaust and 250 km/h on gps and scared the s..t out of me

Its not me you need to tell Aimbolt9000 ....

From what I have learned VFR's are built tight so they will last longer. I have had 2 1990 vfrs both under 10,000 miles when I got them. Neither of them would go over 120mph. After riding them hard. And I mean hard. Always reving them up into the upper rpms. After a few thousand miles of close to redline riding the bikes started to go faster and faster until I was able to hit over 145mph on both bikes. I suggest riding your bike hard. I would only do this if you are sure that everything is fine with your bike mechanically.

I have ridden several 94 95 vfrs and encountered the same problem. After my buddy ran the hell out of his for awhile she loosened up.

Both my bikes must have been ridden soft before I got them. They were not used to reving up and it took some time to break the motors in. My buddy used to work at suppertrap/Kerker when the factory was in Sacramento. I used to let them use my bike for testing on the dyno. As the miles went higher the bike made more power and reved faster. When it got to 30,000 it seemed to be at it's max. If I remember right it was like 88hp I cant remember the torque. The bike definately did better with more miles for me. He could have other issues. And I could just be dead wrong too....

Well this is all moot now that this happened http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77028-went-out-for-a-lunch-time-drive/ but thanks every one for your time and advice there has been some good tips and idea's and I hope other members find it useful as well.

Not the best way to get rid of a VFR. I hope the next bike will be a VFR again.

Archived