Any Interest In Dale Walker Making Vf1000R Header Again?

VF1000RS

• Member Contributer

A couple of us on the yahoo VF1000R forum have been discussing the possibilty and myself and a couple others have emailed Dale Walker over at Holeshot Performance. They made one of the 4-1 header systems back in the 1980`s for our bikes.

He needs a stock bike close to him for measurements, etc.

One of the guys on that email list (Mark) is within 80 miles of Dale and has offered his bike and his Hindle 4-1 header with SSR silencer and also his stock VF1000R exhaust system for this purpose.

Then there is the issue of if is it cost effective. Dale doesn`t know at this point if he can make it cost effective so there is a real possibilty that this will never happen. I think we have all seen over the years ideas like this where a possibility exists to make something for our bikes but we need folks to commit...and then it never happens because there just isn`t the interest or cash flow to make it happen.

Just throwing this out there. May not even make it off the ground.

What do you all think?

• Member Contributer

Geez Tom, people still post over there? I just tried to log in but they recycled my account.

I'm no help. Any of my future headers will be made by yours truly. I think I can copy my Hindle closely enough for my taste, especially if the price is over $600. Good luck with it though, some people would really like to have one. I think with R's getting more collectable, there will be an increase in people wanting the stock system refurbished for purity's sake. But if the stock system is spent, there aren't too many places to turn. I'll pass it on.

• Member Contributer

I'm getting the group emails but apparently can't reply?

Anyway, yes, I'd be interested. If it doesn't cost the equivalent of Denmark's GDP, I'll probably be in for one.

BTW, you might want to post over in that UK forum too. http://honda.vf1000.com/forum/

• Member Contributer

Dunno. Seems like there aren't any emails forever then I get 2-3 then 5-6.

Good idea about VF1000.com. Haven't been there in quite awhile myself.

I really doubt there is enough interest to make it cost effective for him. But stranger things have happened.

• Member Contributer

This one was on a VF1000R I bought awhile back.(big reason I bought that R).

I just got another email from Dale Walker. Sending him links to forums as he is looking to gauge interest.

• Member Contributer

I do not believe Dale ever made a 4-1 - the ones he sold were just rebadged Hindle systems. That's probably why he needs a bike because he will essentially be starting from scratch.

I looked into this about 10 years ago. At the time my research showed the market to be about 10 systems per year. I would expect that number to be less now. Taking a "build it and they will come" approach would probably be ok. For pricing purposes I would assume each part to be a custom-built item.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

I think you are right Jamie. I have had both and they are pretty much the same header system with different mufflers and possibly midpipe.

I haven't seen a post on any of the forums from Dale yet but I did let him know this thread was started along with others on the other V4 forums.

• Member Contributer

I did ask Dale if he is considering a system like the old Holeshot/Hindle made back in the 1980's and here is his reply:

"Years ago I was the west coast importer for Hindle, then he let me private label that pipe Tom.

The best thing to do would make a back half system maybe cost wise, but that’s not it most are rusted out

Don’t have time to think about this much yet honestly, but when I get time I will get on the forum and say hi

I would start from scratch and have to make all new tooling and jigs

Cheers Dale"

• Member Contributer

Really no idea on cost. I think a limited run of header systems for the VF1000F/VF1000R would tend to be a little pricey. Compare to a modern full system for a modern bike. Then add $$ for the smaller demand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Really no idea on cost. I think a limited run of header systems for the VF1000F/VF1000R would tend to be a little pricey. Compare to a modern full system for a modern bike. Then add $$ for the smaller demand.

Keep me in the loop, may well be interested depending on $$

1986 VF1000RG

• Member Contributer

Yep. Shortly after I sent that email Mark said he arranged with Dale to ride his bike to Dales shop when the weather gets warmer.

That sounds promising.

For the 6 people on the globe who would like a full exhaust system for a VF1000R, it's going to be really expensive.

Unfortunately, unless you have a welder and a mandrel bender in your garage, and aren't afraid to use it, there's not a lot of other options.

There are a few places who do custom fab one-offs, but you have to be fortunate enough to live near one, as they usually need the bike on hand to build from.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see you guys get your wish!

I sent a nice condition V&H header for my VF750 to a company that replicated the tubes in stainless. I asked them to recreate the bends in SS and to basically make me a kit I could weld together. I got back a box of oversize (length) tubes, no collector, etc. Not exactly what I hoped to get for $300+, but it is a good start for someone like me that has the capability to cut/fit/weld my own.

• Member Contributer

A couple years ago I was thinking of building my own system for a HawkGT I had.

Never did get around to it but I found this place that sold pretty much all the components you need to do your own in stainless or mild steel.

Lots of good DIY info on their site as well.

http://coneeng.com/

Archived