2014 Updates For The 1200F?

arrow

One thing I really wish mine has is cruise control. Not that I superslab very often, but it sure would be nice to take pressure off the throttle hand every once in a while. This is very low cost development when a bike is already TBW. Add some buttons to the switch gear and a bit of software implementation - that's it.

VFR1200 also needs better lighting. I actually like the headlight styling, but not so much the output. This is a safety concern more than anything else. A bike with even a bit of touring pretension should have good headlights. The prev gen VFR has this in spades. I don't think Honda needs to go back to quad lamps, but dual lamps (both ON for low and high beam) is a must.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Would LED lights improve it? I'm pretty happy with mine but I admit it's a bit below my old VTEC...

You know... I've read a whole lot of stuff said about the VFR1200 that are entirely undeserved. Sometimes I feel the need to defend it FWIW, other times, neh... what's the point? For whatever reason, this bike just draws the most viscous venom from some people.

If it is coming from a fellow VFR1200 owner though, I tend to give it wide latitude. At least it's not some hater who has absolutely no intention of buying one and just out spewing crap for the jolly of it.

Anyhow, as for the "throttle aide", yes I have a cramp buster on mine right now, which works well enough but I'm looking at others as well. In the end though, they are just not the same as real CC. Knowing Honda could've easily implemented it is what gets me.

I'm sure LEDs would work. I doubt Honda would go to that extent, for the time being. That would likely take a complete front end restyling. At least this one is fixable. I've already got a bixenon retrofit kit for the high beam. Just haven't had a chance to pull the front end apart to get at the headlight assembly.

• Member Contributer

I have a crampbuster as well but I don't think it would work without "full TC and electronic suspension suit" in them thar dirt roads we all ride around here ;-) ...

Volfy I didn't know LEDs would require full redesign, I actually thought they'd be easier than xenons. No need then...

You can buy LED bulbs that are set in headlight sockets, but they don't put out enough lumens or have good enough beam pattern to work as headlight. HIDs typically do a pretty good job of that.

All the LED headlights that come OEM with bikes and cars are specifically designed for LED, with lenses and heatsinks that are required to make it work. I am sure in time, LED would take over every type of lighting. Car/bike headlights are already catching on.

Dutchy, a friend of mine bought a gocruise and promptly broke it trying to install it. I do know of another one that is similarly styled and made of a metallic material (SS?) instead and is thumbscrew adjustable. Still, most of them look like a hack to me, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on any of them yet.

• Member Contributer

You know... I've read a whole lot of stuff said about the VFR1200 that are entirely undeserved. Sometimes I feel the need to defend it FWIW, other times, neh... what's the point? For whatever reason, this bike just draws the most viscous venom from some people.

If it is coming from a fellow VFR1200 owner though, I tend to give it wide latitude. At least it's not some hater who has absolutely no intention of buying one and just out spewing crap for the jolly of it.

I understand that but I think some spend entirely too much effort on what it is not and too little effort on what it is, does well, etc. Feel me?

Lighting, I like the Phillips Extreme Vision H7 bulbs. They throw a nice beam of light and nice upgrade from stock for $43. (Pack of 2)

I had an Audiovox CC on my FJR, and it was really nice to have. Since mine was a non-ABS model, there was a nice big hole for me to install the actuator. No such luck on the VFR. Pity, since I have another Audiovox kit new-in-box in the garage on a shelf. I had to settle for the Go-Cruise on the VFR. It's light, simple, inexpensive, and reasonably effective. It ain't no electronic CC (I agree with you on the TBW simplicity), but on the 2000 mile trip the wife and I took in July, it was worth many times what I paid for it to give that right wrist those much needed breaks. It's not perfect, but for $20 bucks, it does what it's supposed to, and the black one is almost unnoticeable.

As far as the headlight, I'm still just as thrilled with my HID conversion (in the low beam only) as I was the day I installed it. The light output is amazing and I never get flashed by oncoming traffic. Also worth many times the price of admission. And my hands are small enough I didn't have to take the front upper fairing off the bike to install. It tries your patience, but it can be done.

I understand that but I think some spend entirely too much effort on what it is not and too little effort on what it is, does well, etc. Feel me?

Well now, I hardly knew you. :blush2: :laugh:

J/K. Yeah I know. The fuel tank capacity is a perfect example. I genuinely agree with most folks that it is a bit on the shy side, but out of all that complaint :pissed: , Honda gave us 0.10 gal extra. :rolleyes: Okay, folks, time to put that one to bed and get on with it. :musik20: It'll be what it is...

Same thing happens everywhere. Over at the Triumph Speed Triple forums, I just answer a guy that complained the handling of his '08 S3 was too twitchy and the suspension too hard. He wants to upgrade to an '12 S3R but is concerned that it might not be an improvement. :ohmy: Again, I can't disagree with him, but c'mon, it's a naked streetfighter hooligan bike! What do you expect?!

For some reason, folks buy a bike that doesn't exactly suit their riding style or needs - sometimes not even close - and proceed to complain that it is the mfr's fault it doesn't do what they want it to do.

Not that I don't run into that sort of problem, but if it is bad enough I pretty much just write it off as a good learning experience, feel glad I had a chance to own/ride it (even if it is brief), sell it and move on. That why I ended up going through 10 bikes since I got back to riding 3yrs ago. VFR1200 was the nineth bike and my absolute favorite thus far. If I ever get rid of it, it'll be replaced with a 2012 with TC and pretty blue. :wub:

• Member Contributer

You can buy LED bulbs that are set in headlight sockets, but they don't put out enough lumens or have good enough beam pattern to work as headlight. HIDs typically do a pretty good job of that.

Dutchy, a friend of mine bought a gocruise and promptly broke it trying to install it. I do know of another one that is similarly styled and made of a metallic material (SS?) instead and is thumbscrew adjustable. Still, most of them look like a hack to me, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on any of them yet.

LED has a way to go still yes...

A neighbour gave me 2 LED brakelight bulbs....

Disappointing to say the least...

Rear light

post-8974-0-48135500-1384513717.jpg

Brake light

post-8974-0-51860700-1384513735.jpg

As for the Gocruise, they do say to affix carefully since they are come composite. There is a cheaper plastci one on the market but that one suffers when it gets hot out there. Not staying put.

I have ordered one through a dutch VFR group buy next year. Will keep yous posted

• Member Contributer

May be I didn't make myself clear. I'm not bitching about my ride. I asked everyone if Honda could sell more VFRs by changing a few things. If I was complaning about my ride, I'd post it under a different topic. If you haven't noticed any difficulty in the low range, then fine. You live in TX, I live in Istanbul Turkey. Different locations, different conditions. Don't tell me what I have experienced isn't there just because you haven't experienced it (and having lived in TX in the 90s, I know how it is there. I doubt you know how it is here though). The admin of this site said these very things a few weeks back as well. People I met here told me that they've considered the 1200F, some actually bought it but decided to sell and buy other bikes. Some had a change of taste like Volfy said, but some experienced the same things that I did and decided that they didn't want that. I'm suggesting perhaps they would've bought or stayed with the 1200F with a few tweaks. I already bought a 1200, I don't need to be convinced that this is a good bike. So the question is, what would you have Honda change/improve? I've listed my wishlist, and yes, some of it was too much as some pointed out. I never said this was the way forward; or that the 1200F was bad because it lacked these things. I didn't wish for a larger fuel tank (I have no problem with mine, I like to stop every once in a while anyways), less weight (not much you can do there either, it is what it is) or more power (it's got more than enough). So I focused on (what I feel to be) the doables; you know add optionals and refine a few wrinkles like so many people do themselves here. But they're spending good money on extras; what if Honda included some of them as standard and sell the bike at the current MSRP? Here, does this sound better?

I ride my bike to work everyday. I fold my office clothes and put them in my tailbag and ride to work through a mixture of highways and inner city roads.The whole ride takes just 15-20 minutes and I do it not because I have to, because I love riding. Think downtown Manhattan when I say city roads, slippery and bumpy in places (highways are pretty good), add lower driving standards and I sometimes feel the weight and the less than ideal fueling at the bottom rev range of the 1200. So I bought a Z-Bomb, and it's improved. As far as I can see adding fuel modules etc can further refine it. The reason I thought power modes (and there's a good chance the 2015 model 1200F might get it, cause its brother the Crosstourer already got it) was because there are places in the city where it would be nice to have a bit less power and even more linear power delivery at times like riding between heavy traffic or very tight small streets.

I had no problem with the seating position of my 800 which is the same as the 1200F. I rode the VTEC once for 2000 miles in 42 hours straight from Holland to Turkey but that was 50 pounds lighter so I'm thinking helibars which would give better leverage in the city and I'm told that the stock seating position is fine by someone who actually installed them on his bike :huh: ...

I realize that you can't expect any bike to suit you fully. My VTEC was pretty modified as well, HK Suspension modified the forks with 600F internals (made them compression and rebound adjustable, each in one fork leg), I had a fully adjustable HyperPro shock (including high&low speed compression, and yes it comes in handy in our roads, it was great), Rapidbike III module with two maps and the final two years a supercharger. So I'd like to think I kind of know what I'm talking about. I may choose to modify my Veefalo in the future, I'll just enjoy it as it is for now.

The most important thing is I'm making small talk about motorcycles. It doesn't have to be terribly clever or reasonable. If you don't agree, fine, please tell me, in fact I love it when people show the courtesy to reply to my posts. If you can't stand the comments, then just stay away, if it's that dumb, the topic will die anyways. But please, please, please don't call me ridiculous, or tell me in a condescending tone to do this or do that, cause that really pisses me off and I don't come here to get angry :angry: ...

Rant over, sorry about that :wheel: ...

If we are talking about LED bulbs replacing brake and signal lights, then quality and results vary widely. I've done quite a bit of it on various bikes and have found the best results to be with clear lens. Colored lenses are tricky, as the LED lights are single wavelength only and colored lenses act as a color bandwidth filter, so if the LED wavelength doesn't match that filter, most of the light will be blocked.

I've got LED bulbs in my brake/tail lights and they work okay. About the same as stock incadescent bulbs, if not slightly less bright at some angles. To compensate, I've added two addition LED strips just above the license plate to augment the brake/tail lights. I do like the fact I'm drawing less amps overall and getting better lighting at the same time. I can post dome pics if anybody is interested.

DD, a recommendation coming from you is worth a lot. I may have to give the go cruise another gander.

• Member Contributer

You've got the Z-bomb Arrow already so add the Bazzaz FI and Traction control yourself. Bazzaz's TC works very well and has been on the market for a while. And it's better than the TC they offer on the 2012 VFR because it has a dial and you can dial it where you want instead of Honda's on/off switch. Any bike benefits from a re-mapping of FI so it's a win/win. The package also contains a quick shifter and you can add their auto-tuner as well. Altogether it's pricey, but a fraction of the cost of a newer bike. And IIRC, you can have multiple maps which will work infinitely better than these "power modes" some mfr's are offering. A lower HP map for fuel efficiency and a full power Mr. Sulu map would be a great combination.

The helibars are fantastic and are definitely a worth upgrade.

8B9590A5-215E-4908-A5CF-0CC38E8D1F64-667

I wouldn't let mine or anyone's comments get so under your skin. I'm reluctant to listen or read it because there has been a lot of complaining and whining since day 1 instead of us owners working together to figure out good mods to make this excellent bike even better. I didn't even like it when it was announced and pictures were published but that criticism was very much weighted towards the MSRP. Some of the things you were discussing would just drive the cost up severely and few of us are willing to pay. If you haven't figured it out, VFR owners tend to be miserly LOL.

You've got a great bike, it just needs a few tweaks like any bike. I've never, in all my years of riding, hopped on a bike and said "wow, everything is perfect".

Bikes are like a canvas to me. Farkling them up is fun and allows us to custom tailor the bikes to our height, weight, riding style, and fix any issues we have with it. Stock, they are a vanilla wafer, a saltine cracker, dry, and set up for a range of folks instead of set up exactly for me and my tastes.

The 1200, to me, needs Helis, suspension set up for your weight (springs, revalve, whatever you deem necessary, and this is the same for any bike I've owned), OEM restrictions removed (every new bike is starting to come with a TR issue, the latest Kwacka 10 needs a reflash, my R1 needed a reflash to remove restrictions, etc, and it will be the standard from now on), and the motor allowed to breathe (slip-on, eliminating the cat) as well as tuning the FI.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Luvtoleanit, I appreciate your post. Like I said I'm totally fine with disagreement, no problem there.

I really know what you mean about being miserly. I bought mine secondhand with just 2500 miles on the clock saving 27% over the list price but it still cost good money. I never paid this much for a motorcycle before... not at once anyway. I think it'd be safe to say that I once had one of the trickest 800 VTECs on the planet but I could spend money on it because I'd bought it for so much less. I might go slower this time. I'm looking forward to seeing your build over the winter, I know you still have stuff to put on your bike. It looks great so far.

I had to settle for the Go-Cruise on the VFR. It's light, simple, inexpensive, and reasonably effective.

Just bought this one on fleabay. Not sure if it is made by the same people as the original Go-Cruise. This one is adjustable and made of aluminum like the Omni-Cruise, except the design is not as nice and intricate. At $31 instead of $55, I'm willing to give it a try

$T2eC16ZHJHUFFfy63p1fBR0zKDMlvg~~60_57.J

• Member Contributer

Good find on the throttle lock! Let us know how it works. Price was keeping me from the Omni cruise...

• Member Contributer

That would likely take a complete front end restyling.

I'm sure the 1200 is a great ride and along the vein of the ST1300, it does its intended duty's magnificently. But really, I would love to have bike lust for it, but I dont. For that to happen, the best thing Honda could do is a complete restyle. Its still fugly.

some think it's ugly, some think it's a fine looking bike....most important to me is how it works, and it's a cut above anything in it's class I've ridden.

That would likely take a complete front end restyling.

I'm sure the 1200 is a great ride and along the vein of the ST1300, it does its intended duty's magnificently. But really, I would love to have bike lust for it, but I dont. For that to happen, the best thing Honda could do is a complete restyle. Its still fugly.

I am so glad you did not quote me completely out of context to feed the VFR1200 hatred you clearly do not have.

Great informative post.

Just bought this one on fleabay. Not sure if it is made by the same people as the original Go-Cruise. This one is adjustable and made of aluminum like the Omni-Cruise, except the design is not as nice and intricate. At $31 instead of $55, I'm willing to give it a try

$T2eC16ZHJHUFFfy63p1fBR0zKDMlvg~~60_57.J

That is a slick looking piece for the price. And I like the ability to actually adjust the tension...a nice touch. I look forward to hearing how it works for you.

Archived