Stock Exhaust: Is This Normal?

• Member Contributer

In checking the tire pressure while my '96 was running, noticed a pulsating bit of air pressure hitting my hand. Wait a sec... it's the exhaust! In any event, is a little bit of exhaust pressure escaping through the weep hole (or little hole in the lowest side of stock exhaust) normal? I'm surprised after all these years, i haven't noticed this before.

I don't think that little weep hole has any real detrimental effect to the performance of the exhaust/engine. What it does is drain condensation that forms inside the muffler which if left to accumulate will accelerate the deterioration of the can from corrosion....

I don't think anyone really decides to change their exhaust can because of that tiny hole..... Most just want a different (usually louder) from stock sound from their exhaust system....

• Member Contributer

I don't think that little weep hole has any real detrimental effect to the performance of the exhaust/engine. What it does is drain condensation that forms inside the muffler which if left to accumulate will accelerate the deterioration of the can from corrosion....

I don't think anyone really decides to change their exhaust can because of that tiny hole..... Most just want a different (usually louder) from stock sound from their exhaust system....

you dont work in a cycle shop do ya beck? the world is filled with idjits . :wacko:

. i tell them the same thing.. but they refuse to believe that no monster is eating their pipe from the inside.. :cool:

• Member Contributer

pic?

20131014_185339a_zps5551cbad.jpg

Circled is the weep hole I was talking about.

Thanks for the replies. I was just concerned in the fact that there is a bit of exhaust coming out of the hole, and if this is normal, so be it. I've never noticed this before.

As for changing out the exhaust, I tried it a couple years ago with a high-mount Hindle, and it wasn't for me. Yeah the exhaust sounded throaty, but a bit too loud for my taste, especially when the sound of the gear driven cams was overpowered by the louder exhaust. I put the stock exhaust back on.

• Member Contributer

You should see what happens when there isn't a weep hole, and you let the bike sit outside for a few years, and you decide to kick the engine over without thinking about that. Never used a motorcycle to sandblast paint off a wall before..

Archived