How Much Does Your Big Girl Weigh?

crazybrother

• Member Contributer

Well, here it is.

I put my big girl on our certified scales yesterday and she weighed 561 lbs...

Now before you all say BS... Here's what I've done, replaced the stock battery with a Shorai, and the stock muffler is replaced with a DAM exhaust. Removed all the PAIR equipment as well as the Servo-motor. She also only had 1/4 tank of fuel...

Now the last time I did this was with my sixth gen. 2006 w/abs, Two Bros exhaust and she weighed 572...

I know that the Honda claimed weight is 591 lbs full of fuel, was just wondering what you guy's are seeing as far as wieght goes.

I hear a lot of people complaining about how the 1200 feels heavy but I don't see it that way. My bike feels much more planted than both of my 6th gens were. Then maybe it is just me.

Wow! That's impressive. I may have to look at some of those mods. Did you weigh the PAIR equipment off the bike to see how much it removed?

My 1200 feels a bit heavier in the garage, but, once under way, she seems stable and maneuverable. As light feeling as my 6th gen? Not quite, but more planted. As light as my 5th gen? No. They are different motorcycles. My other gen VFR's were great. My 7th gen is my favorite motorcycle.......ever.

Ride safe all.

• Member Contributer

Wow! That's impressive. I may have to look at some of those mods. Did you weigh the PAIR equipment off the bike to see how much it removed?

My 1200 feels a bit heavier in the garage, but, once under way, she seems stable and maneuverable. As light feeling as my 6th gen? Not quite, but more planted. As light as my 5th gen? No. They are different motorcycles. My other gen VFR's were great. My 7th gen is my favorite motorcycle.......ever.

Ride safe all.

No, I didn't weigh the PAIR but it's maybe a pound at most... I guess my point is that it's actually not heavier than the sixth gen like many have thought.

I was thinking about this the other day when I installed the servo buddy, I'v done all the same mods except for the LiPo battery.

the weight doesn't bother me though at all, and simply because you can't feel it when riding (even at slow speed). My VTR1000F was almost 100kg's lighter than the VFR12 but the VFR feels more nimble and goes harder.

So the only other real benefit for weight savings would be power to weight ratio, considering the bike pulls as hard as an R1 who cares how much it weighs?

It is rare to see a VFR12 on the roads in Australia not many people know much about them or have ever ridden one, I have surprised a lot of people when they see mine fully kitted out with luggage right up there arse in the twists, or absolutely smoke them off the lights.

So the only other real benefit for weight savings would be power to weight ratio, considering the bike pulls as hard as an R1 who cares how much it weighs?

Apparently it's been awhile since you twisted the throttle of an R1 in anger. The 12 is no slouch by any means, but it does NOT accelerate like an R1. But it's not intended to. And BTW, the Shorai battery is a MASSIVE weight savings!

But to address the original topic, I've not had mine on the scales. But figuring the weights of what I've added and subtracted, I figure it's still around the stock weight even with luggage and farkles. The Shorai battery alone offset the weight of the Givi cases and brackets. The GPR exhaust roughly took care of the rest.

Apparently it's been awhile since you twisted the throttle of an R1 in anger. The 12 is no slouch by any means, but it does NOT accelerate like an R1. But it's not intended to.

Off the line it doesn't accellerate like an R1.... it accellerates harder. Shorter gears, more torque, more traction. Easier to launch too. Above 100mph the R1 will fack right off but the big VFR will get the jump off the line.

Apparently it's been awhile since you twisted the throttle of an R1 in anger. The 12 is no slouch by any means, but it does NOT accelerate like an R1. But it's not intended to.

Off the line it doesn't accellerate like an R1.... it accellerates harder. Shorter gears, more torque, more traction. Easier to launch too. Above 100mph the R1 will fack right off but the big VFR will get the jump off the line.

When riding with a mate of mine, him on his 2011 R1 rolling it on from 100km/h to 220-240 i can keep up easily

• Member Contributer

Where did this R1 business come from? :)

I own a current model R1 and no, the VFR1200 is not as fast, sorry. Off the line is pure rider skill so a SV650 might be able to pull you.

Stock and modded both, the HP is close to each other, the VFR has more torque, but it's over 100 lbs heavier to boot.

And once you enter some turns the R1 will clear off into the distance as will any current literbike.

About the 1200's weight... my impression is that the weight issue is most often used by those who don't like the 7gen. Of course it is heavier than a litre sport, and comparing to one (even the slightly-heavier-than-average R1) misses the point. VFR1200 is in the same range as most open-class full-faired sport bikes. K1200/1300S, ZX14R and Busa all weigh about 560 lbs wet, and 2 of them are chain drive. Personally, I much prefer the compactness, better weight distribution, and the balance of the V4 package, compared to the inline4's. The very narrow width of the VFR's mid section actually makes the 1200 feel lighter for my height and inseam than the I4 open-class sportbikes.

If you want litresport lithe and quickness, get a litresport. Even when comparing apples to apples, it's best not to mix Fuji with granny smith.

• Member Contributer

I had a 6th gen before my 1200 and I rode them back to back for about 2 weeks and the 6th gen definitely is/feels lighter. It certainly is more agile...

By the way, I did a roll-on against a friend's 2002 R1 a couple of months back and to my amazement beat him...

IMO, ANY gen street VFR vs R1's =........ :rolleyes::lurk:

Maybe if the laws of physics had someway reversed themselves, those anecdotal stoplight race results that had been touted here are highly suspect.... I highly suspect that those R1 riders were just no good.......

They claim you can save another 4lbs with these discs:

that would lighted your wallet very effectively as well. :)

You guy's seem to have gone off topic... I was comparing a 7th gen to a 6th gen w/abs...

Yes, what you highlighted is that the 800 was no feather weight. I believe when 6th gen owners complain about the 7th gen being heavy, what they actually mean is that it is heavy compared to what they would've like the 7th gen to have been: 1000cc v4 chain drive sport bike with a subframe capable of panniers and 2up - basically a Ninja 1000 with a V4. That could easily have been kept at 500 lbs, like the Ninja 1000. I can't argue with that, as I find myself liking the Ninja 1000 a lot. I would've bought one to complement the VFR1200, if it weren't for the I4 buzz and crazy high insurance rate (courtesy of the Ninja moniker).

Right or wrong, that is not what the 1200 is. I happen to like the 7gen package just fine. What Honda should have done is - instead of the CB1000R - do a VFR1000 kinda like the Tuono V4 but with some sport touring provisions. That would've sold way better than the unloved CB1000R, please the VFR traditionalists, and complement the 1200 perfectly. I would trade in my Speedie in a hearbeat.

• Member Contributer

Maybe if the laws of physics had someway reversed themselves, those anecdotal stoplight race results that had been touted here are highly suspect.... I highly suspect that those R1 riders were just no good.......

It was a 4th gear roll-on from 4000 rpm and we only did it once or twice. I'm more experienced than my R1 owning buddy so perhaps we should've tried again when we swapped bikes. The funny thing is when I got back to the 1200, it felt faster cranking the throttle to pass the traffic for example. It really is a powerful bike, especially at more legal speeds....

Back to the topic though, the 1200 feels heavier compared to the 1200, period. It hides it bulk really well once on the move (which bike doesn't though?) but you feel it in the tight stuff, the city and the bumpy roads...

Well guys my VFR budget is shot buying a Akra slip on, power commander, Z Bomb, DJ quick shifter, DJ map switch, DJ Autotune module, K&N air filter, Heli Bars, upgraded headlight bulbs & elimination of the stock cat not to mention the dyno tuning cost when I am finished installing all this stuff. Sure there is some net weight loss here but it is fairly minor.

My weight loss plan is to lose the 37 pounds off my fat a_ _ I have gained in the last year after retiring. Loss of the 37 pounds over the winter & spring won't cost me any money.

• Member Contributer

Yes, what you highlighted is that the 800 was no feather weight. I believe when 6th gen owners complain about the 7th gen being heavy, what they actually mean is that it is heavy compared to what they would've like the 7th gen to have been: 1000cc v4 chain drive sport bike with a subframe capable of panniers and 2up - basically a Ninja 1000 with a V4. That could easily have been kept at 500 lbs, like the Ninja 1000.

I have to admit that is what I wanted and feel it would have been a killer bike in volume sales. But the reality is that would eat into market share of the CBR1000RR. 500 lbs wet, V4, 1000cc, decent looks, that would cannibalize some CBR Sales. What you see with the VFR is that it is clearly different (weight, size) from Honda's sportbikes and they will continue to do it this way.

Funny, at 16k, I'd say it's an overweight pig. At 10k, it's outstanding :D

I have to admit that is what I wanted and feel it would have been a killer bike in volume sales. But the reality is that would eat into market share of the CBR1000RR. 500 lbs wet, V4, 1000cc, decent looks, that would cannibalize some CBR Sales. What you see with the VFR is that it is clearly different (weight, size) from Honda's sportbikes and they will continue to do it this way.

There is some merit to what you've said, but I'm not so sure that's inevitable. From what I can tell, Ninja1000 has not cannibalized ZX10R sales, or vice versa. As much as I was interested in a streetfighter/lightweight-sport-tourer like the Ninja1000, I have next to no desire to get back into a litre sport like the ZX10R, with all it's punishing ergos, too-sharp ride/handling, and racing-pedigree powerband. For most ZX10R pilots, and I know of a few, the Ninja1000 just won't cut it, when the game is to ride with - or rather, against - S1000RR's and RSV4's, or other litresports.

As long as Honda configures these bikes and market them correctly, no reason why CBR1000RR/VFR1200F/VFR1000 would not be as successful as Kawisaki's ZX10R/ZX14R/N1000 trio.

• Member Contributer

They claim you can save another 4lbs with these discs:

that would lighted your wallet very effectively as well. :)

You guy's seem to have gone off topic... I was comparing a 7th gen to a 6th gen w/abs...

Yes, what you highlighted is that the 800 was no feather weight. I believe when 6th gen owners complain about the 7th gen being heavy, what they actually mean is that it is heavy compared to what they would've like the 7th gen to have been: 1000cc v4 chain drive sport bike with a subframe capable of panniers and 2up - basically a Ninja 1000 with a V4. That could easily have been kept at 500 lbs, like the Ninja 1000. I can't argue with that, as I find myself liking the Ninja 1000 a lot. I would've bought one to complement the VFR1200, if it weren't for the I4 buzz and crazy high insurance rate (courtesy of the Ninja moniker).

Right or wrong, that is not what the 1200 is. I happen to like the 7gen package just fine. What Honda should have done is - instead of the CB1000R - do a VFR1000 kinda like the Tuono V4 but with some sport touring provisions. That would've sold way better than the unloved CB1000R, please the VFR traditionalists, and complement the 1200 perfectly. I would trade in my Speedie in a hearbeat.

So you add another 18 lbs or so for 3 more gallons of fuel and you are up to 580 lbs . Not bad for a full on sport tourer. However I take exception to the "unloved CB1000R" comment! Maybe in the US, but not overseas, and I love mine just fine, thank you. Over a hundred pounds lighter than my 6th gen translates into a lot more fun and much easier to ride...

• Member Contributer

I'd be interested if anyone has a personally measured wet weight of a 5th gen ?

My modified one is 215kg (473lb) with a full tank, which is only 5Kg more than the advertised dry weight !

So you add another 18 lbs or so for 3 more gallons of fuel and you are up to 580 lbs . Not bad for a full on sport tourer. However I take exception to the "unloved CB1000R" comment! Maybe in the US, but not overseas, and I love mine just fine, thank you. Over a hundred pounds lighter than my 6th gen translates into a lot more fun and much easier to ride...

I knew I was gonna get in trouble for saying that. :blush: I should have been a bit more PC and rephrased as "not having popular appeal" here in the US. The CB1000R was designed and built in Europe (Italy) for European taste. I was surprised Honda USA even bothered to bring it stateside. Of the naked roadsters I was considering, it was sort of an in between bike. Not as hard-edged as the Streetfighter/Tuono/Speed3 but doesn't have the touring provisions like FZ1/R1200R/Ninja1000/Z1000.

In many ways, it suffers similar identity crisis as the VFR1200, which is somewhere between a full-on ST (C14/FJR/RT/etc.) and an open-class sportbike (ZX14R/Busa). This doesn't mean it's not a great motorcycle, just as in the case of the VFR1200. There are always those riders who find the CB1000R to be exactly what they want in a naked roadster. To me, it is a Ducati Monster 1100EVO with a inline4 and Honda user-friendliness, even if it doesn't quite have the full-blooded Italian cachet.

• Member Contributer

There is some merit to what you've said, but I'm not so sure that's inevitable. From what I can tell, Ninja1000 has not cannibalized ZX10R sales, or vice versa. As much as I was interested in a streetfighter/lightweight-sport-tourer like the Ninja1000, I have next to no desire to get back into a litre sport like the ZX10R, with all it's punishing ergos, too-sharp ride/handling, and racing-pedigree powerband. For most ZX10R pilots, and I know of a few, the Ninja1000 just won't cut it, when the game is to ride with - or rather, against - S1000RR's and RSV4's, or other litresports.

As long as Honda configures these bikes and market them correctly, no reason why CBR1000RR/VFR1200F/VFR1000 would not be as successful as Kawisaki's ZX10R/ZX14R/N1000 trio.

I never said anything about Kawasaki. I was talking about Honda and the way their brass thinks and markets. Why have 2 bikes that overlap when you can separate each and get the customer to buy 2. This is how Honda thinks.

• Member Contributer

Thank you Volfy! You should be an international ambassador or secretary of state...you have the gift of compromise and looking at the better side of a situation.

Maybe if the laws of physics had someway reversed themselves, those anecdotal stoplight race results that had been touted here are highly suspect....  I highly suspect that those R1 riders were just no good.......

It was a 4th gear roll-on from 4000 rpm and we only did it once or twice. I'm more experienced than my R1 owning buddy so perhaps we should've tried again when we swapped bikes. The funny thing is when I got back to the 1200, it felt faster cranking the throttle to pass the traffic for example. It really is a powerful bike, especially at more legal speeds....

So both of you chose the wrong gear.

Archived