1986 Vfr750F Project Complete (Mostly)

Blakeo

finished bodywork including stripping all of it

back to bare plastic and welding all the old cracks, making new tabs, etc... spraybomb painted by yours truly with a 2k clear on the tank.

Upgrades came from many forum members here. About the only thing original is the frame and motor with 90,000 km give or take.

I had two older progress threads but figure they are gone now. Anyway, just sharing the end result.

post-17012-0-00750600-1381524493.jpgpost-17012-0-24959800-1381524531.jpg

Thanks! The iphone camera doesn't capture it well but its a dark metallic grey which I think 2-tones subtly with the shield, seat and tires. If I had my wish it would be all stock w/r/b origin bodywork but that was beyond my garage spray-bombing abilities.

Looks good for a spraybomb job. The F2 running gear makes a big difference for tire selection, grip, and handling.

Excuse me? That's an F3 front end (provided by Seb), and a VFR rear wheel. ;)

Twin Clicker rebuilt by one Mr. Daugherty, some of you may have heard of him...

All kinds of parts, blinkers and wiring harness provided by our womanizing friend Greg (gl429)

VFR bars came from Matt from the other forum

Running 2CT tires and for what my abilities allow, I love them.

Today was my first ride in two years since the latest iteration began. (F'n bodywork... I'll never do it again.)

Hard to believe that a $1400 trashed POS turned into this machine. I love it. I'd love a nice modern new one but this fits like a glove and nothing will ever sound as good to my ears as those ragged-ass supertrapps.

And no...no bling for the rusty exhaust.

post-17012-0-47653600-1381607801.jpg

• Member Contributer

:blink:

theres a bike in the pic???

where? :unsure:

oohh i see it!!! :goofy:

awesome!! you just need some hi temp BBQ black spray paint for the exhaust headers.

awesome! lookin good! and the bike too!

The forks may be F3, but that is an F2 front wheel.

You are right, as usual! I started going through old messages just to try to remember where I sourced everything. I can't remember if I bought both wheels from greg or ebay... I was thinking you provided the front but apparently not.

Alzeimers... I don't even remember when it started.

I had no plans to touch the headers. I guess the rust is a bit of an eye sore but they are such a bastard to get to in the rear. Maybe next year... :)

• Member Contributer
I had no plans to touch the headers. I guess the rust is a bit of an eye sore but they are such a bastard to get to in the rear. Maybe next year... :)

oh they are not!!

remove the lowers and tape up the engine and everything with a bunch of newspaper leaving the pipes exposed. spray paint them!!

:fing02: should take you 30 min to cover the bike and a few hours of applying a new coat every 15 min.

bbq_zpsfeec3a23.jpg

• Member Contributer

If you do end up taking the headers off getting them ceramic coated may not cost as much as you think depending on what your local shops quote you, and if you stick with the less shiny options.

Though some high heat paint would go a long way in covering up the rust for now.

Archived