New Member With 83Vf750

Guest bperez2357

Guest bperez2357

so I'm new to the whole bike thing and finally decided that after restoring 2 cars its time to start something new... so while on my local craigs list I spotted this vf and had to have it I traded a second hand firearm for the bike it is all original and as far as I can tell is not missing any pieces the motor has 20,312 miles and turns freely I have an idea on where to start the tricky part is after being parked for 2years should I do a compression test and try to crank and get.it running or.should I have the engine machined and honed when I find the gaskets any help is appreciated thanks in advance

list of things that I have found wrong

*brakes stick

*gas tank minor rust on the inside

*starter does not engage

*blinkers broken off

*clutch and brake handle broken

*messy wiringlZ

*body panels cracked with road rash

*jacked up seat which does not click in place

post-28542-0-86127300-1381474261.jpg

post-28542-0-97747100-1381474293.jpg

post-28542-0-98466600-1381474311.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

Converting weapons into ploughs, that is good :goofy:

thanks guys ....question for you all the bike has been sitting for 2years carbs have been cleaned need to sync em...would it ve better to change the gaskets the the engine or change and top the fluids and run it as is ?

• 4 weeks later...

Heya Perez,

Looks like we're both newbies with the early VFR's. Just picked up an '83 750R. Runs well, lotsa fiberglass on the chin cracked, needs a new kickstand (the one on it someone made, but not well and interferes with the shift lever if you put the lever down at a comfortable level), has headlight low-beam problems and turn signal relay's probably fried, fuel gauge is reading 'zero' with a full tank.... it'll be an interesting time.

Have fun!

-S

• Member Contributer

If it ain't leaking or sweating oil I would leave the gaskets well alone and spend my pennies elsewhere on this bike...............

Plenty scope by the looks of it :-)

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the find...you appear to be missing the two side covers, the one that covers the battery and the one that covers the puke tank/fuel pump...

Before spending any money on gaskets or carb cleaning/synching remove the valve cover and have a look at the condition of the camshafts and rocker arms.

Post up pics of those and we will let you know what's next.

Thanks for making a go of putting one these genre-creating VFs back on the road...Before this bike no mass produced street bikes had perimeter frames and race derived/race focused technology.

Welcome aboard!

Being that this is my first go at a motorcycle I would like to rebuild as close to original as possible the help is much appreciated gents @CornerCarver thanks I have been stumped as to picking a starting point ill post some pics of them later on tonight if not early in the am

@thejhere congrats on your find seems like we have a road ahead best of luck!

welcome ! :beer: you came to a great forum these guys really know their stuff here. :cool: . may want to take plugs out and put a small amount of oil in the cylinder and turn over with out the plugs in-- change the old oil- check plugs if look good no worries- light brown - :491: - i would just try to start it before anything else--

Here they are as promised I apologise in advanced for the bad pics I did this right after work in the middle of the night

Here they are as promised I apologise in advanced for the bad pics I did this right after work in the middle of the night

post-28542-0-55731700-1383803335.jpg

post-28542-0-08931400-1383803360.jpg

post-28542-0-80918600-1383803390.jpg

Nice find...and welcome to our nightmare.

If you got rust in the fuel tank...i suggest draining it...and purging the fuel lines and carbs before starting it up and running a potentialy ugly pile of sludge thro the system...and then toss in a can of seafoam fuel additive with a fresh tankfull.

Have fun on the resto....bet ya are freaking eager to get it running and riding.

• Member Contributer

Looks nice and clean - the previous owner(s) appear to have kept up with the oil changes. The cam lobes however do show some signs of scoring which could be a concern. If you have any photos from an angle showing the lobe profile that might also be helpful. I've seen cams in cars with 200,000 miles on them that look better. This doesn't look fatal, at least not yet, but it does look to be headed in the wrong direction. Some owners with early gen models will probably chime in with their experience on that issue. There are some top end oiling mods that can help arrest any further oiling issues if these pass muster. Best of luck - would love to see another one of these back on the road. Cheers.

• Member Contributer

I know it is difficult with the engine in the frame but a pic of the cam profile (as mentioned by Cogswell) would be nice.

On the second photo the cam lobe in the bottom left corner looks to have more wear than the others, is that the case or is it just that shiny metal parts are hard to photograph?

If the top (and bottom) pics are the worst of your cam lobe wear then personally I would do the oil line modification and run it like that.

Nice find...and welcome to our nightmare.

If you got rust in the fuel tank...i suggest draining it...and purging the fuel lines and carbs before starting it up and running a potentialy ugly pile of sludge thro the system...and then toss in a can of seafoam fuel additive with a fresh tankfull.

Have fun on the resto....bet ya are freaking eager to get it running and riding.

yes i had to do this to mine and so far i really think the seafoam works-- the old gas was dirty brown orange looking - i drained it new fuel filter and line-sea foam rode about 70 miles so far-before the bike would have steam just pouring out of pipes leaving puddles on floor-- now no more--

I don't think those cams look bad-- they all will have some sort of marks on them; they are pushing down on springs after all--and they are aged a little- put fresh oil go for a 100 mile ride drain and put fresh oil and filter in maybe run a 15-50 synthetic(not oil thread) let it warm up a little longer-- i think you are in business- now for the never ending thinking about the v4

Archived