New To This Site.

mrgsx400e

Well I have had my 99 VFR for the last two seasons and love it. Did a 8 day trip on it along the Oregon coast this September and all went really well. I do have a couple if questions....

I got back from my trip. Parked in the driveway for 20 min, when I came back out to put the bike away the battery was dead... Could not start it. Put it on to charge and it took a full day to charge. After that it was good for a couple of days. No issues with starting. I tested with a meeter and it shows that the charging system is charging when the bike is running. But today went for a good scoot and stopped to take a pic.... Battery dead, bike won't start. Got home put back on to charge. Do you think the battery is toast. Could this be something to do with the stator?

Welcome fellow BC ite.. I rode some on the island and the Sunshine Coast for most of Sept. this year. #14 north from Sooke to Pt. Renfrew is a favorite of mine...and the 101 is another from Gibsons to Lund for twisties coated with first class scenery.

If your battery is older than 4 or 5 years it could be suspect...a good way to monitor your electrics is to fit an LCD or similar DCVmeter...for continuos use while riding...if connected directly.to your battery you can see ongoing state of charge.

Theres several hook ups and types of small meters to go with.Lots to see in the forums here.

My install came about as a result of having both a stator and a RR fail after putting in a new battery....long story with lots of grief and $$$ but no worries now as I can see battery state all the time.

Any radical fluctuation is a warning to pit and figure out wassup.

Not sure how old the battery is. Came with the bike. Will replace it at the beginning of the new season, as this one Is just about over. It only had 18,000km on it when I got it last August. Here is what she looks like. Posted ImagePosted Image

• Member Contributer

Nice looking! Welcome I agree with the others that a meter will help...I lost my rectifier on a trip and it took out the battery(overcharging @ 18+ volts for ?) it also took two gps's with it...last time I use a usb plug into the lighter :wacko: Since then I have installed a meter & it is nice to see 14.5 volts now :wink:

When the bike us running it charges at (14.5).. But after riding for a while the battery us just dead. New battery should fix my issue. Will look into a few of the other suggestions as a precaution. Thanks all.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

Are both terminals well secured?

I used too long a bolt on the (-) so the cables were not pressed tight on the terminal.

If the bike is around the 18 mile mark, my money would be on the rectifier. Old battery of course should be replaced, but I would go ahead and beef up the charging system so you don't have to take it apart again in a short while.

Oh, welcome to the site! Nice bike, didn't know they came in red. :goofy:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Yup, that's what mine looked like - cept it got replaced while on a ride to California. Summer parking lot rectification.

Welcome aboard too, great having yet another from BC here.

Archived