Need A Little Advice

DfnsMn69

So I learned a couple of very important lessons today...

• 450lbs of VFR is damn heavy when off balance
  • Riding boots with exposed laces get caught at the most in opportune time
  • And the brakes on my VFR ROCK

So I was exiting the garage at work today... Asshat comes tear assing down the ramp from the upper level. As I go to put my Rt foot down the laces on my boot catch on something still not sure what it was. Bike does the painfully slow drop to the concrete. As I'm extricating my self from under the bike the clown has the nerve to honk at me. I get the bike upright amazingly quickly (isnt adrenaline great) and proceed to read this stupid SOB the riot act. Security shows up blah blah blah we all know how that goes.

Well I get home and actually start looking my bike over. The Givi bag took the brunt of what little rash there is but I have a few small scratches right behind the turn signal. Anybody have some decent ideas on how to get them taken care of... I was thinking about some 600g to knock the high spots down and then hitting them with some touchup paint. The other option I thought of is since I've got a vinyl guy making up a wrap for parts of the left and right plastic I could have him make one for the front cowl.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. You may want to consider plasti-dip option (google for more info)

Any pics of said damage?

Rollin

• Member Contributer

It's always something or somebody. FWIW, I always considered the brakes on the VFR adequate and barely at that. Ride a BMW K bike and you'll experience brakes.

Sorry to hear that, my laces do get snagged at times on the rear point of that little shield where you would press in with the side of your foot, I've almost dropped mine that way too, I now double knot my laces so it's got less chance of happening. If you feel that tug, move your foot backwards to get the loop off of it. It's made me a bit paranoid, just watch the long laces.

Sorry to hear that, my laces do get snagged at times on the rear point of that little shield where you would press in with the side of your foot, I've almost dropped mine that way too, I now double knot my laces so it's got less chance of happening. If you feel that tug, move your foot backwards to get the loop off of it. It's made me a bit paranoid, just watch the long laces.

I normally don't ride with lace up boots on but I had left the bike at work the previous day and forgot to bring my riding boots with me to work the next day. Either way I think I'll just leave my cheap Vega boots in one of the side bags as a back up.

Touch up paint I've found is never quite perfectly blended and even if the scratches are covered you still see blobs of paint.

Vinyl is a good option for covering things up, and since most bikes have some kind of vinyl wrap anyway it won't look out of place. Another option (if you want a bit of a colour change too..) is a set of china fairings. That's what I've got on mine at the moment to replace the damaged side panel. Under $400 delivered to my door, a couple of hours to fit since a few holes were gunked up with paint but the outside surface was perfect, colour matches my tank just like new.

The only downside of it all is they're made of ABS instead of fibreglass, so if you crash it heavily they will tear open like paper.

But it also means you can leave your original bodywork at home, as backup for if something goes wrong or you want to sell it.

With regards to wearing shoes with laces, I had a few snags on my old bike when I got stuck to the gear lever.. after a while I got used to my foot placement, or just tuck the laces into the side and haven't had any issues since I got the VFR in 2010.

• Member Contributer

have it air brushed. even a brain damaged huffer can blend that paint in...

or add a black stripe along the edges..

flames off the turn sigs..

orange fade from the sigs..

your name over the scuffs "MY BIKE . F#@& OFF!!"

so many cool options. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Let the eye focus on something else.

so my advise is to go for TMAC 2014, ride the tail of the dragon a few times so you earned the right to put a decal on :cool:

(cropped picture so a bit blurry, that too helps not to see scratches)

post-8974-0-72416500-1379314555.jpg

Archived