Bike For My Sister

93 VFR750 RC36

My sister wants to learn to ride when she's done chemotherapy (she's fighting a lymphoma). I think a NC30 would be perfect as she's only 5' 3".

Can they be found in Canada or should I be looking overseas? I have lots of friends in the UK who could look around for me and crate one up.

• Member Contributer

WRONG BIKE TO LEARN!!! :blink:

wow. talk about flying a jet before a glider!!

try a rebel 250 1st! or another small cheap low powered bike.

AFTER she knows how to ride and still wants a bike.. THEN you get her a nc30..

all it takes is one tip over to break the bank $$$$$$$$ on a sport bike.

as for the rebel.

the levers may break.. and a mirror..

Sorry, she's got a CB450 to start on.

I accidentally posted this thread in the wrong forum, can someone move it to the 'Older and other models' bit?

• Member Contributer

First bike a super rare, powerful sportbike that will cost $5k locally, if you can even find one? Not the best idea.

Start on the cheap end. Get a pre-2008 Ninja 250. They are a dime a dozen and easy to fix with plenty of parts available. It's small and light enough, with enough power to keep you out of trouble. If she learned that well enough, then I would spend actual money on something that rides more like a motorcycle and less like a moped. Plus, going cheap on the first bike frees up money for decent gear.

After she kicks lymphomas ass and learns the basics on the cb, why not just get her a vfr? I ride with a bunch of girls on full spec sport bikes, nobody has any problems once they know how to ride. Shoot, my mom is only 5'3" and she raced a guzzi 850 back in the 70s

I could just get her a VFR but I'm not sure she'd be happy with the weight or size of the bike. An old round headlight CBR400 might be a nice bike too. Looks great in HRC colours.

I want to try to keep her away from Cruisers. He'll only end up entering plowing competitions and getting tattoos that she'll regret when she's 45 and we'll all regret when she's 60.

• Member Contributer

Not the obvious choice for a first bike, but what a great choice. I have ridden a zxr400 once, the vfr400 will be equally easy to handle.

Sure it will cost a penny, but a special occasion calls for a special bike. I have seen a few for sale in the Netherlands, so of the uk runs dry...... ;-)

• Member Contributer

Ninja300, Versys, or one of the new Honda 500s off the top of my head; they hardly depreciate on the low end. All lightweight and easy to manage.

I bought a new 2006 Ninja 250 and sold it for $200 less than I paid for it.

If you're worried about speed, just follow KEBrider on his Versys on the Dragon.

Of course I'm a V4 guy through and through and would never ride anything else (well, perhaps an Aprilia RSV) so why expect my sister to.

The VFR400 has something none of these other bikes have:

The V4.

Perhaps that's the key!

Archived