Can The Fuel Tank Valve On A 4Th Gen Be Rebuilt?

Beck

Forgot to put the valve on the on position when I put it back on the bike after I serviced things and started the bike....which had the fuel pump sucking against the closed valve for a little while when I ran the engine. Next time I took the tank off the bike, valve would not completely shut and a trickle of fuel starts shortly after I take the gas line off. I noticed that the retaining plate for the valve lever is permanently riveted on, so I don;t think I can service/replace any damaged seals in it, like I think you could do on older Hondas....does it mean I'm doomed to having to replace the whole valve assenbly and big bucks?? I can live with the situation but I think it would be safer for me to have the valve in good working order when I work on the bike and remove it in the future....

TIA

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

If you can't replace the valve easily maybe you can splice in a quick connect into the fuel line. That would make taking the tank off for service so much easier.

I am considering just putting a quick connect fitting south of the petcock. Should work out, but I'm wondering what's really happening insode the petcock . Could the rubber seals be disintegrating and rubber bits can eventually end up coming past the petcock. There's the inline filter that should catch everything, but the said rubber bits can also eventually impede fuel flow and tax the fuel pump.....

If I do decide to rebuild it by drilling out the rivets, will Honda have the parts for me to replace what ever is broken in it? Maybe I'll check if the whole 4th gen petcock assembly is still available from the dealership first and see if just replacing it will be affordable.....

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll report back on what I evnetually decide to do

Could the rubber seals be disintegrating and rubber bits can eventually end up coming past the petcock. There's the inline filter that should catch everything, but the said rubber bits can also eventually impede fuel flow and tax the fuel pump.....

This is what I found when I opened up the leaking (3rd gen) petcock:

RC36_brandstofkraan.jpg

I cleaned it and put it back together by tapping thread and using screws, just like gll424 mentioned. It fixed the problem of fuel leaking past the steel ball and rubber o-ring but I now the petcock started leaking past the shaft that operates the petcock (part on the right in the pic) so I ended up replacing the whole unit. Bought a used one at the breakers yard and that one still works flawless.

Archived