My Build

• Member Contributer

Cat delete is done. If anyone is interested my welding mechanic will make more but doesn't want to mess with it unless there are three or more so it will be a batch job.

a0a87b92144950f81f9a4a620bb8ae6e_zpsdcdf

4ead7c35386461399c459a34c15a4087_zps9226

Just have to get it tuned now, hopefully next Saturday.

4ce40bc245b7039ce16cb36fa90af38e_zpscda5

9aeda362cc2e6309bd4849acc5e2fd56_zpsa90a

7f525bf551739001bc2a5734037d8901_zps6723

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Wow! Beautiful bike. What did you pay for the cat remove? Was it a local guy? I thought you were sending it to the UK or something like that. Thanks.

Ride safe..

Mark

My mechanic is also a fabricator so he did it. $300. He also did some process to smooth the inside of it so there are no burrs. Smooth on the inside where the welds are so no hindrance of flow. Should help on the dyno.

Great looking bike...if you were coming up behind me I may think you were PoPo...

I like that :)

Friend said the same thing. Said it looked like a cop bike.

• Member Contributer

Did you ride it with the new suspension yet??

Been waiting on your review before I talk further with Jamie.

Only rode it home since it's decatted and NOT tuned yet. So far, good. Feels like I have proper suspension finally. We set the forks to 34mm of sag because it'll break-in over the first few hundred miles.

It was about 20 miles of slab with only a few corners but it felt good and stiff unlike stock.

I called this morning to set up my dyno tune with Scott Crawford (AMA mechanic) so I will tune it Saturday and go flog it Sunday providing there aren't 15MPH winds or rain.

Did you ride it with the new suspension yet??

Been waiting on your review before I talk further with Jamie.

Only rode it home since it's decatted and NOT tuned yet. So far, good. Feels like I have proper suspension finally. We set the forks to 34mm of sag because it'll break-in over the first few hundred miles.

It was about 20 miles of slab with only a few corners but it felt good and stiff unlike stock.

I called this morning to set up my dyno tune with Scott Crawford (AMA mechanic) so I will tune it Saturday and go flog it Sunday providing there aren't 15MPH winds or rain.

How did the dyno run go? Did you ride out today and put it through it's paces?

• Member Contributer

Got it tuned but did not ride yesterday. Got sick for the first time in many years yesterday so I'm bed tied for the next few days.

Going to be pulling it apart as soon as I can function. I don't like the paint my painter used so the bodywork is going right back up there.

That means at least a month before I have a full ride review :(

• Member Contributer

Didn't come this far to punt at the very end. I wanted Honda Pearl White (or Yamaha), f'ing painter, chose, on his own, Cadillac pearl white which looks beige in the sun. Umm, no, hell no. I'm as pissed as it gets and sick to boot.

• Member Contributer

What are the dyno results? Do you have any HP, torque figures?

• Member Contributer

What are the dyno results? Do you have any HP, torque figures?

I didn't ask for graphs for the internet. If you look at hvfrdave's thread he was getting heckled about the conversion factor used on his map. That started a mild argument and I took note. Last thing I want to get involved in is arguing about my bike so I didn't ask for them for that and another reason below.

My tuner's dyno is a heartbreaker and reads 10% lower than standard. Fully tuned and full exhaust S1000RR's make high 165-167HP peak on it while everyone else is in the 180's range. My tuner is an AMA mechanic/tuner and he is more concerned with making the maps perfect than some number. He tuned my R1 and it's perfect, absolutely spotless. I go to him for that reason. I could go to the other tuners in the area if outright numbers were more important than the mapping itself.

Taking that 10% in, it made 167.2 peak HP which is right in line with Dave and John's decatted bikes. 1st/2nd gear restrictions are gone but the top speed limiter is still there. That was something Don mentioned he hadn't solved yet when I sent in my ECU. No worries as that was of little concern. I may send it back in at some point to remove that but right now it's of little concern.

I need to put some time in on it so Autotune can make some trim adjustments but that's going to have to wait until I get the bodywork off and back on. I need to test the mpg also as I may lean it out at 80mph in 6th gear for cruising. He gave me the afr for that and said not to go any higher. If mpg is ok then I won't mess with it.

The day I was at the shop another guy was there bitching about numbers. He brought his bike in to get flashed then got pissy when he gained 5HP. I guess he was expecting much more. Flashing ECU's is more about OEM restriction removal than peak HP. Gains under the curve so to speak. We had a nice discussion about the internet side of the business and how customers whine because x bike on the internet made more. I could tell he is pretty tired of that side of the business. He knew why I was there, to make a sweet map, and that's it. I knew from tuning my R1 there that the numbers aren't going to be there. But that's why I like Scott, more concerned with mapping than numbers.

• Member Contributer

Yeah you're right, how the power is delivered is infinitely more important than how much of it is made. I was just curious, that's all. I have a dilemna myself, my tuner moved to another city, and the bike shop he worked with sold the dyno to another shop in the city where my tuner now lives. I was prepared to make a round trip of 200 miles just to get him tune my bike (he's also doing work for the new owner of the dyno). But my tuner said there were problems with the installation of the dyno (the dyno room apparently gets too hot) and then he had to concentrate on his new business so he doesn't have the time now. There's one guy here in Istanbul, and he's extremely close to work but I don't know him that well so I'm not sure if he can be trusted. I callled his shop the other day and we had a chat. I told him that I'm not chasing maximum numbers, and smooth throttle response & delivery is my goal. He agreed that it is the way it should be. He told me to disable pair before bringing the bike over. If I can find the time, I'll do it and take it to his shop this week. Let's see what happens...

Got it tuned but did not ride yesterday. Got sick for the first time in many years yesterday so I'm bed tied for the next few days.

Going to be pulling it apart as soon as I can function. I don't like the paint my painter used so the bodywork is going right back up there.

That means at least a month before I have a full ride review :(

NO!!!!!! your not allowed to get sick. lol

Hope you feel better and I feel bad for you that the painter screwed up. I wouldn't put up with it either.

• Member Contributer

Jamie's forks are da bomb! Still need to play with preload some as I don't know the ideal sag on this bike. We are at 34/35mm and I don't remember what on the rear, maybe 30mm. But she's nice and stiff now, proper. Jamie's forks aren't Ohlins but they are pretty damn good and at $350 revalved and resprung, just pull the trigger. Worth every penny. You should be breaking your hands and whiteknuckling it to get them off your bike and in the mail to Jamie Charles.

Reflash works quite well. I did some WFO in 1st/2nd, Don's reflash works 100%.

Since the power is done and mapped (no cat) and the suspension is sorted, the whole bike feels so planted now. I was hammering the thing into and out of corners, and I mean beating on it for a full test. The bike is also very deceptively fast. Due to the weight (stability in the wind), you just don't realize how fast you are going. I was constantly cruising at 100MPH and the bike felt like I was doing 75-80.

The biggest thing and my most favorite thing to test on a built bike is throttle application coming out of a turn. The better the bike is sorted out the quicker I can get back on the gas coming out of a corner. On my RC51 I'd still be well leaned over, same on the R1, and now the same on the VFR. Coming out of the corner I can get on the gas sooner and really took some ham fisted attempts to get the rear to spin coming out of a corner. The rear just hooks up and spits you out just like it's supposed to. Now I have the wonderful task of building my confidence up on the new suspenders and throttle.

The decat made the exhaust sound much more proper. It will never sound as good as the R1 (same firing order as the VFR800) but it sounds so much better than stock, and throatier than with just the can. Removing the cat opened up the sound to a nice degree and it's still not overly loud (no decibel eliminator in the can, I have never installed it).

I'm quite pleased with all the work and my vision of how it should behave under throttle and suspension compressed. I'm going to leave it set stiff for now until the suspension wears in (usually 1k miles on the shock) and then dial it out some for comfort. I beat it on it good and it never let me down. Think I saw 150 at one point, so stable in the wind and at high speed. Didn't do any MPG evals as I just wasn't interested in that at this point :goofy: Tuner did tell me (IIRC 13.5 afr) to lean it out at cruise rpm if I wanted MPG's which will be at about 80 in 6th for me.

Sad that I couldn't get this sorted out for the Hog Tie :(

Rode it on Saturday then on Sunday pulled it back into kory's shop, and proceeded to pull off all the fairings and Kory took the luggage apart for the 2nd time to get it all repainted :( It's loaded up in the car as I type.

Not one complaint about the BT023GT's either, great tires and I should have bought some extra sets as I very much like the compound. The grip is excellent as is the feedback.

That's my review for now. Few other things. The Ohlins rear raises it up some out back which was a welcomed change. If I had my way I'd bump it up a few more mm but I'm content. Sargent seat is awesome. Like the seat material so much more. I was able to hang off of it very easily and the seat material, well you don't slide around on it like the stock seat.

Hopefully I have it back together before the f'in winter gets here and ruins all my plans. I had budgeted for proper heated gear this winter but that got used but I may just have to pull out a credit card so I can ride all winter. :goofy:

hvrdave, thank you for all the advice on the cat removal, autotune, and your comments on the suspension. My OEM hugger hasn't gotten hit by the Ohlins bracket yet :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I've done 1,000 miles since last Friday, mainly fully loaded, with camping gear ect , Ohlins rear shock, 4 more turns on rear spring preload, 6 clicks more on the rebound and 4 clicks on compression, and she handled perfect, topbox, panniers, tank bag, camping gear, solo. I have since been out solo, got the rear shock dialled in perfect, she now holds a perfect line, I now can get the power on a lot earlier on the exit of the corner, no more wanting to run wide, so you had to close the throttle, to avoid this. Now I can keep the throttle pinned, and it holds the line perfectly, the VFR is now, so much quicker, its hard to believe its 260kls, Like you, no problems with the rear hugger and the Ohlins mounting bracket.

• Member Contributer

Feels strange huh? You know the weight of it and such, but once going it feels just like a literbike.

Only thing to make it perfect, for me, would be rearsets, de-linked brakes, and ABS removal!

Archived