Brake Pad Wear, Life Expectency

Heya Shrek,

What is the general consensus of the life span of front brake pad material?

In the process of a front tire replacement, I checked the pad wear and noticed a significant difference in remaining pad material left on each side of the frt wheel.

The pivoting left side is being replaced with a set of gaflers.

The rght side remaining material is equal to or Greater than the on-deck gaflers.

I'm pretty sure the existing sets are oem Nissin (labled), with 31k miles (21k by me).

I would consider myself more of an engine braker than lever grabber but don't pads get cooked over time?

I still have good feel when I brake so I'm looking to run with the existing oem Nissin pads on the rght and new gaflers on the left. News at 11.

Signed,

Donkey

• Member Contributer

I would be very hesitant to use different pads on each side even if they claim to be similar compounds. I've noticed that the pads on my 5th gen don't wear at the same rate even with rebuilt calipers. I just replace 'em all when the thinnest one is ready.

How long pads last is dependent on a lot of factors so nearly impossible to predict. Just keep a set on hand, and give 'em a good inspection whenever you change the tire. When you change 'em out order another set. If you switch to a more aggressive compound keep an eye on your rotor wear too.

Must be the cheap skate in me, my initial thought was Yes new pads on each side. But then, the stopping power was just fine on the last long ride and it's not like you're pulling the vehicle to one side with the greater bite. Otherwise, single side rotor fronts wouldn't exist on bikes, yes?

If anything, the stopping power can only improve from the new set of gaflers, unless it doesn't.

I have a hard time tossing a set of pads that are still in spec, even if the mileage on them seem, high?

Auto pads get up to 100k where I'm driving.

Guess I'll have to proceed with caution as I scrub in the new front tire.

• Member Contributer

You really want the same type of pads on each side of the rotor, otherwise you will introduce different temperatures on each side of the disc. That could lead to warping...

Sent from taptalk on my mobile thingy

Oh, I meant to say new pads on Each rotor on both sides of the wheel would be the rule of thumb.

So yeah there's a new set of "dusty" Gafler pads on the left side of wheel and the existing set of the oem Nissin pads on the right side that still had plenty of material on the full length of each pad.

It ran and stopped great today, but the gaflers are deffinately more dusty. I'll have to look at the part number on the other set in my tool box to confirm the composition of the pads. And see if they stop being as dusty once they seat.

If your getting alot of dust, then you probablly have organic pads, the ones you want are the galfer ceranic HH pad.

The 6th gen has 3 differnt sets of pads, and the 06+ 6th gen has differnt calipers on the front. They all wear at very differnt rates. so replacing the entire package at the same time, well Id rather someone just send that wasted money to me.

• Member Contributer

When a service rep at the Honda dealer first checked my brakes for wear he said the different pads had worn unevenly. When discussing the solution he said using the front brakes by them selves, or the rear, will wear pad unevenly because of the linked system. Now I use both front and rear simultaneously consistently and the wear is much more even.

I think on the 5th gen the rear brake operates two pistons on the front , on the 6th gen the reAr brake only operates one piston.

Should be Less wear on the 6th gen front brake left side over the 5th gen, the reason they made this change was not wear but , being too heavily linked, effecting performance riding. It was changed on the 6th gen for better operation, not as much rear braking effect on the front.

Ive not ridden the 5th gen nor felt the need to change my 06(which has differnt calipers than 02-05), through delinking or pads, but the linked effect(if more), would definitely not be something Id like.

The right front pad set, should be the longest lasting set, cause the left front and rear are operated, everytime the front or rear brake is activated.

• Member Contributer

I got about 17,000 miles per set out of two sets of OEM front pads. I went with the EBC HH pads this time so we'll see how that goes. I can't remember how many miles out of the rear but I have replaced them before the fronts were replaced.

I've always heard brake pads are cheaper than engines. :beer:

Have 22k on my 2007, still with original oem front/rear pads. Rear are due to replace this month, front still have quite a ways till replacement due.

Archived