Bike Shut Down

TommyHoffman

• Member Contributer

I was riding last night. Bike seemed fine, as in there was no odd things going on. Started and ran great. I was riding around a sweeping corner and the bike shut down.

It n won't start up again. The starter turns. But it's acting like no spark. The bike got a ride home in a truck, now I need to figure out what's up. The battery is newer. Been on a charger over winter.

The starter turns just fine. Checked all,the fuses. All good. It does have a power commander. No lights on the power commander. Have not tried disconnecting it yet

Double checked kill switch and kickstand. Let it cool off etc. no luck

Any one got some tips?post-4844-0-74306700-1366975241.jpg

• Member Contributer

Spark? I would check & make sure you are getting spark, no spark then go backwards....that would be the logical way in my way of doing it. I do not know alot about 5 gens but what a motor needs is fuel, spark, air....gas in tank? plugged line? It pays to double check the easiest things first before tearing into things. That is what I do not like about newer cars, bikes etc. there are many different sensors to control things, is there also a bank angle sensor on the 5th gen? maybe a wire chaffed through.....

Good Luck!

Gary

• Member Contributer

It's been a couple days, thanks for the relies.

I was working on the bike trying to figure out the issue.

I have fuel pump cycle when I turn the key on. No battery power to the fuel pump, tried to feed power to the pump, but I think I screwed that up. No pump sounds. Not sure I got power to it correctly.

I did disconnect the power commander. First thing I tried. Also checked main fuse and the sub fuses under the seat. If I only knew how to set my multimeter I could give you all more data about what's happening.

Warm weather is coming.....

• Member Contributer

Got the Fuel pump tpo run by hooking battery power directly to it. NO power at the Connection. Checking Relays, all good so far.....

Any ideas?

• Member Contributer

Check the 'bank angle sensor'. A switch which detects an 'a...' up attitude and shuts the fuel off. It's located behind the instruments. Described in the manual.

• Member Contributer

How do you check the bank angle sensor (bas)? I've had my front wire harness apart to replace the upper cowl support. The bas wires seem fine. Service manual suggests shaking it and I've done that. Fuel pump still does not energize. It may be something entirely different but how do you eliminate the BAS?

• Member Contributer

Thanks Swas,

Was playing with it last night. I could get the engine stop switch relay to click when I moved the Bank Angle Sensor, back and forth. Only slightly confident it works.... I think its ok though. Kick stand switch is next I guess.

• Member Contributer

Got the Fuel pump tpo run by hooking battery power directly to it. NO power at the Connection. Checking Relays, all good so far.....

Any ideas?

The fuel pump only runs for a second or so when the key is switched on and then will only commence full time operation once the engine is running. If you have a tester connected to the fuel pump power lead with the key on and engine not running, you will only get power momentarily then nothing. An easy test is to pull a plug and visually check for spark. I use a home made test lead with large alligator clips on each end to hold the threads of the plug to get a good ground while cranking the engine. If there is none, another cause could be the ignition pulse generator - but there are many other items that can contribute as well. If you do have spark and the fuel pump is operating, the fuel pressure regulator could be bad or the filter plugged.

• Member Contributer

Thanks cogs well, already tried that. Should get a 5sec pulse of battery power. Not happening.

A 12v feed with jumpers turns the pump on.

Just not getting power to the fuel pump...... Why is the issue. :(

Beginning to think to may be harness issues. Any one try the VFRness?

To cure a similar issue?

Any ideas?

The fuel pump only runs for a second or so when the key is switched on and then will only commence full time operation once the engine is running. If you have a tester connected to the fuel pump power lead with the key on and engine not running, you will only get power momentarily then nothing. An easy test is to pull a plug and visually check for spark. I use a home made test lead with large alligator clips on each end to hold the threads of the plug to get a good ground while cranking the engine. If there is none, another cause could be the ignition pulse generator - but there are many other items that can contribute as well. If you do have spark and the fuel pump is operating, the fuel pressure regulator could be bad or the filter plugged.

• Member Contributer

did you disconnect the gas line from the pump? if its pressurized it will NOT pump.. or will barely move.

• Member Contributer

If you've ruled out fuses, bank angle sensor and the kill switch next to the throttle (the engine's cranking), no power to the fuel pump leaves either the fuel cut relay or the ECU - or a bad wiring connection between any of these. If you download the service manual (for free in downloads) on pages 5-50 and 5-74 there are some test procedures for the fuel cut relay. It's located right next to the rear brake master cylinder. Sometimes a sticky relay can be freed up by tapping on it. If it's a bad connection occasionally just wiggling wires a bit will reveal where. Good luck with it.

• Member Contributer

Multimeters are your friend people! With out it that 30 amp fuse looks old, but must be ok. It's not burned in the middle. Move on to the next thing. And the next and the next until your bike is in pieces on the floor.

With a multimeter. There is no continuity in the aforementioned fuse. And you replace the fuse with a shiny new one. And ride off into sunset.

• Member Contributer

Glad you got her going! yes I have been there done that!! Now no matter how simple I always check....I believe it's just because I am lazy and want to do as little as possible :wink:

• Member Contributer

Any one got some tips?

Throw on some riding gear when you think you got it fixed in case it shuts you down in the midst of a hard turn so you don't find out how hard a turn can be. :goofy:

Archived