My Second Vfr

Guest fasterspider

I suggest you replace the bolt rubbers (if you weren't already) as these compress to about half the thickness and cause sealing problems on the gasket face. The bolt seals are what puts the pressure on the gasket, just the same as on the very familiar, to you, bol'dors.

They are being purchased from Honda, do not worry that I may have lost my edge. :wink:

RUBBER, MOUNTING 90543-MV9-670 x 8

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear that about the mounting rubbers, I had guessed that was my problem after replacing the valve cover gasket and still having a leak, now I know!! Do you use any honda bond or anything else on the valve covers?

Glad to hear that about the mounting rubbers, I had guessed that was my problem after replacing the valve cover gasket and still having a leak, now I know!! Do you use any honda bond or anything else on the valve covers?

I prefer not to use any kind of sealant when working on motorcycle engines but, I do use Hondabond4 in limited amounts in the proper places according to the FSM.

You can use a little bit of Hondabond to hold the gasket into the cam covers but not between the gasket and top face of the head.

If you are getting leaks there then the gasket is bad or the bolt seals are too old and thin.

A new gas cap because the old one leaked out of the key hole, new tank rubbers RUB, RR. FUEL TANK 17613-473-000 x1, CUSHION, FUEL TANK 17611-ML7-000 x 2 and 8 new valve cover bolt rubber mountings 90543-MV9-670 x1 cost me $197.00 and I am only going to sell the bike next week to a kid down the street from me who is drooling over the bike.

I just have to adjust the valves but, my brand new Helm inc Honda Factory Service Manual did not arrive yet and until it does, the bike will sit untouched.

I bought the valve cover gaskets a couple of months ago and they cost me about $30.00 for both.

The 2 rear signal stays were $65.00 for both also.

For a total of $375.00 in parts I am going to let this bike go to a youngster knowing I gave it the best I could and my conscience will be clear when I take my $1000.00 cash profit.

I ordered a new Honda factory service manual from Helm Inc almost a month ago and it is still not here yet, they had to print a copy for me and I was notified the damn thing was shipped out 10 ndays ago but, geezuz h khrist, WTF, where the hell is my FSM so I can do the work needed and close this bike up to sell it to a jonesing for a motorcycle kid down the road from me?

They should just sell you a pdf copy. Easier all around.

Then you could finish the job, and get paid. :wink:

They should just sell you a pdf copy. Easier all around.

Then you could finish the job, and get paid. :wink:

Don't you know it showed up at dinner time today and now I know what I need to know so I can finish the work, close it up and sell the bike to a youngster who lives up the street who wants a future that includes motorcycles. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Helm Inc. was out of stock for a long time on the 6 Gen manuals, I ended up downloading it from the downloads section here on the forum. Grabbed the 5 Gen too, now that I have the '01. But I was able to get the owners manual from them so I can keep it with the bike.

• Member Contributer

Hear her make a little noise in my garage.

http://s34.photobucket.com/user/fasterspider/media/VFR1200F/20130415_160644.mp4.html

The CBX is my "I'm showing off" bike. :tongue:

20130318_155530-1.jpg

Backing up a bit, have a video of the X? Love the sound of those...beautiful bike.

http://s34.photobucket.com/user/fasterspider/media/VFR1200F/20130415_160644.mp4.html

20130318_155530-1.jpg

Backing up a bit, have a video of the X? Love the sound of those...beautiful bike.

http://s34.photobucket.com/user/fasterspider/media/CBX/20130109_125837.mp4.html

My CBX was used in the filming of a low budget flic called "The Beautiful Ones" this past January and I had to take her to Button Willow Raceway for some action footage, it was pretty cool except I was not riding my bike, a stuntman was.

http://vimeo.com/59627038

I got the valves all adjusted today and out of 16, 14 were out of lash being way too tight. None were loose.

20130516_181241.jpg

I was able to fit my arm through the bike under the carbs, that has never happened on a motorcycle I worked on before.

20130516_180859.jpg

I also picked up a gas tank that needs quite a bit of work done to make it right on the inside but, it is less work needs to be done to the new to me almost free tank than the old tank that is really in bad shape being rust treated by an idiot, dented & poorly bondo'd up.

20130516_194148.jpg

When I sell this motorcycle it will have increased at least a thousand dollars in value and I will collect that thousand too. :wink:

BTW, I love this little VFR and I am not really selling this motorcycle any time soon, I just have to tell my wife :pinocchio: I am selling it to keep her out of my hair :unsure: about how many bikes I already have on the road taking up resources for insurance and yearly registrations.

My lil vfr is running better than ever now that the valves are adjusted and my wife said I do not have to sell it if I really don't want to, how cool is that? :cool:

• Member Contributer

20130318_155530-1.jpg

Okay. Stop it. You're making me want to buy another CBX. I had the sport touring CBX in silver as my first bike. Then the 86 VFR which prompted me to buy my current 98 VFR . My friend Scott bought my 86 and it's still running strong with 127k miles on it. Great bikes all. I'd love to get the "Cooler" CBX like yours and graft some better suspension and wheels on it to make it handle nicer. Mine was a bit of a tank slapper but then again it was my first bike and I didn't know how to ride that beast either.

Okay too late I want one now.

Okay. Stop it. You're making me want to buy another CBX. I had the sport touring CBX in silver as my first bike. Then the 86 VFR which prompted me to buy my current 98 VFR . My friend Scott bought my 86 and it's still running strong with 127k miles on it. Great bikes all. I'd love to get the "Cooler" CBX like yours and graft some better suspension and wheels on it to make it handle nicer. Mine was a bit of a tank slapper but then again it was my first bike and I didn't know how to ride that beast either.

Okay too late I want one now.

I have another CBX, an 82 in the shed out back with no engine in it yet and a 0 mile 81 school bike engine in a crate in my garage that is lined up for a turbo application. :cool:

Archived