My Compu-Fire Regulator Died Today.

coderighter

My Compufire also died in May. It started by draining the battery and because I did not find the fault soon enough but kept driving the bike it finally let 70V AC through to the battery. As I was running a Moty design lithium battery it too was ruined as it melted. Also my CDI box fried in the process.

As for the reason of failure I suspect it is not the amps but the frequency of the AC from the stator. This is because according to my knowledge that is directly dependent on the rpm. As far as I know every crank revolution the voltage of each phase goes through its whole period. So if you have a regulator designed for 6000rpm stator and you use it with a 12000rpm stator it has to switch twice as fast to regulate the output. I think this is the reason the Compufire has failed with quite many VFRs. Mine lasted little over two years and less than 10000 kilometers.

• Member Contributer

Reducing bike electric power requirements, Has anyone tried Shindengen SH775?

Vvss

I have one that has about 22,000 miles on it. Ordered it from Polaris dealer $60 .

So far it has been ok.

Reducing bike electric power requirements, Has anyone tried Shindengen SH775?

Vvss

I have one that has about 22,000 miles on it. Ordered it from Polaris dealer $60 .

So far it has been ok.

Did you reduce your electrical OEM power?

Vvss

• Member Contributer

My CompuFire does work, but I don't have any confidence in it at high rpms, based on others' failure reports. Harley parts on a VFR!

The SH775 looks good, but has a low output rating. The reg/rec on the newer Suzuki Vstrom 1000 appears to be one of the higher-output series-type reg/recs Shindengen had shown as "under development" on their website (but I have not seen this confirmed). The reg/rec is marked "SH847AA". Suzuki Part # 32800-31J00 (~$150)

Not a cheap alternative, but possibly worth the money--if it is what I think it is!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

"The SH775 looks good, but has a low output rating. The reg/rec on the newer Suzuki Vstrom 1000 appears to be one of the higher-output series-type reg/recs Shindengen had shown as "under development" on their website (but I have not seen this confirmed). The reg/rec is marked "SH847AA". Suzuki Part # 32800-31J00 (~$150)"

My SH775 has been working for 22,000 miles with no problems but i really do not run my bike in the high r.p.m. range.

And the higher-output series-type has been "under development" for at least 2 1/2 years.

• Member Contributer

http://www.roadstercycle.com/Roadstercycle%20Series%20Regulators.htm

Anyone know if this 50 amp unit can take the higher rpms? Or is it the same as the Compufire?

Series type regulator for a serious upgrade and racing applications. Unplugging your headlights on race or track days won't burn up your charging system like stock shunt type R/R. USA sales only on Series regulators.

Not sure about this statement ....

• Member Contributer

Anyone know if this 50 amp unit can take the higher rpms? Or is it the same as the Compufire?

I've been running one for about 4k miles now, no problems. I've installed a meter to monitor. Shortly after to install, I ran it up to 12k a couple times (close to home), voltage never over 14.8.

• Member Contributer
My SH775 has been working for 22,000 miles with no problems but i really do not run my bike in the high r.p.m. range.

And the higher-output series-type has been "under development" for at least 2 1/2 years.

I'm just going on "wisdom from the Internet" (which, it must be remembered, used to recommend the CompuFire...), but there have been some reported failures of the SH775 at high rpms. Shindengen's website has this graph showing their series-type reg/recs:

86674d1376943691-charging-system-diagnos

I haven't ordered a box-full of Vstrom reg/recs yet, but I think it is possible that this is one the 50A series reg/recs shown as "under development" in the table above, and if so, could be the "OEM-type" solution we have been waiting for. More guinea pigs required!

Ciao,

I've been running one for about 4k miles now, no problems. I've installed a meter to monitor. Shortly after to install, I ran it up to 12k a couple times (close to home), voltage never about 14.8.

Thanks for taking point on this one.

• Member Contributer

I'm just going on "wisdom from the Internet" (which, it must be remembered, used to recommend the CompuFire...), but there have been some reported failures of the SH775 at high rpms. Shindengen's website has this graph showing their series-type reg/recs:

I haven't ordered a box-full of Vstrom reg/recs yet, but I think it is possible that this is one the 50A series reg/recs shown as "under development" in the table above, and if so, could be the "OEM-type" solution we have been waiting for. More guinea pigs required!

Ciao,

Of coarse, V-strom is a twin so.....

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

Yeah your right ...

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

True...but it may be that the problem was due to the Amps generated by the other bikes' stators being too much for the SH775 to handle. Isn't stator output dependent on the way the stator is configured and wound--as well as the rpms it spins at? That could mean that the Vstrom's stator could have been designed to output high Amps, despite "only" being a V-twin.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Actually, the stators don't generate amps, just voltage. The amperage is dependant on the load the stator 'sees'. If you're not shunting (loading) the stator to regulate voltage, the amps drawn should only be what's needed by the bikes electrical system, minus rectifier and 'normal' regulation losses.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

My CompuFire does work, but I don't have any confidence in it at high rpms, based on others' failure reports. Harley parts on a VFR!

The SH775 looks good, but has a low output rating. The reg/rec on the newer Suzuki Vstrom 1000 appears to be one of the higher-output series-type reg/recs Shindengen had shown as "under development" on their website (but I have not seen this confirmed). The reg/rec is marked "SH847AA". Suzuki Part # 32800-31J00 (~$150)

Not a cheap alternative, but possibly worth the money--if it is what I think it is!

Ciao,

This is the one that I will use the next time around. This thread (posts 14 and 15) is very promising. http://www.triumphrat.net/3766329-post14.html

Jack at roadstercycle also offers it as a kit: http://roadstercycle.com/#SH847_SERIES_RR_KITS_ARE_NOW_AVAILABLE_

I'm not sure if I'll get just the SH847AA from one of vendors like partzilla and then tie it in with my existing VFRNess, using new furkawa connectors from eastern beaver, or if I'll go with the full kit from Jack.

Ciao,

This is the one that I will use the next time around. This thread (posts 14 and 15) is very promising. http://www.triumphrat.net/3766329-post14.html

Jack at roadstercycle also offers it as a kit: http://roadstercycle.com/#SH847_SERIES_RR_KITS_ARE_NOW_AVAILABLE_

I'm not sure if I'll get just the SH847AA from one of vendors like partzilla and then tie it in with my existing VFRNess, using new furkawa connectors from eastern beaver, or if I'll go with the full kit from Jack.

Let me know if you need your VFRness modified to work with this R/R. You can send it to me and I can do it for a minimal fee + parts and return shipping.

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

I did order the Suzuki reg/rec from a regular Suzi dealer, but I have not yet installed it. The Triumph wiring harness is the hot tip--cheap and the connectors fit perfectly. All my reg/recs are still working, so maybe I'll wait for one to fail...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

Let me know if you need your VFRness modified to work with this R/R. You can send it to me and I can do it for a minimal fee + parts and return shipping.

Oh WOW, that would be awesome! I'm still researching wheather a relocation of the R/R into a place with better air flow is necessary. Once I have figured that out I'll let you know if I need to have the VFRness modified.

Archived