Diy Tire Swap - Bead Breaking

Guest slither

Guest slither

I realize this is a topic well beat-to-death, however I'm taking another stab at changing my own tires. I've done them before on my old bike ('85 street bike), but found my Ducati (same tire size as the VFR) to be too difficult to break the bead.

So now I have the components to assemble one of those stands that use a car wheel and threaded rod to clamp down the wheel. I figure if I bolt it to a couple bits of scrap plywood/2xWhatever to stabilize it, though I may just be able to sit the car wheel on the ground. Then use one of the mount/dismount bars (or spoons) to remove/install the tire. Heck, there is even the "sqeeze the beads together with lashing straps" method to get the new tire on. That part I'm not overly concerned about.

My main concern is breaking the bead. I figure I can do the long 2x4 under the car, but more attractive option I thought about was using the emergency car jack, flipped upside down under the car to break the bead.

Either that or the Motion Pro BeadPro tool. $80 seems a bit steep, and I'm still not sure about how easy it would be to get the tool between the tire and wheel. I did try the three tire spoon trick to breaking the bead, however I wasn't able to get the spoons between the tire and wheel.

Thoughts? I just placed the order for the tire, and will order the mount/dismount bar in a day or two, unless I get more confident about being able to use the spoons I have once I break the bead.

I've changed three sets of bike tires over the past year, on the first two sets I used a modified version of the 2x4 under the car trick. I've found lubricating around the tire bead to make the most difference in whether the bead breaks or not, I use "Windex" which works really good and it doesn't leave an oily residue after it evaporates.

• Member Contributer

I have often used an older type flat based car jack behind the rear bumper. Most cars these days are no longer jacked up by the bumper but I had one that was.

I put the flat part of the jack on the tire near the bead while the tire was supported by 2X4's on the ground and jacked the car up. The bead breaks and all you have to do is flip the tire to get the other side.

I have had a number of people go into a near state of panic during the process but it always worked.

Okay, I'll to the screw jack trick. Problem with the stop-n-go is that it won't work on 180 rear tires... Problem with a mounted 2x4 solution is that I am renting, but I don't like the idea of unanchored 2x4 levers/wedges.

Something I also thought about as I woke up is that my Ducati won't be running for a couple weeks at least, which gives me a perfect candidate to practice breaking the bead on. Can't imagine why I didn't think of that before.

• Member Contributer

here is what I use

Irwin Quick-Grip XP600 6 In. Full-Face Clamp and Spreader

easily found at Blowes or home desperate...and very handy with other projects as well.

here is what I use

Irwin Quick-Grip XP600 6 In. Full-Face Clamp and Spreader

easily found at Blowes or home desperate...and very handy with other projects as well.

Really? This thing will break the bead on a rear 180????

Irwin+Quick-Grip+-+Xp600+One+Handed+Bar+

• Member Contributer

Yep 600 pounds of force....I use two of them it works easier than the 2x4 method I was using. On the plus side I can be sitting on my ass while doing it :laugh:

• Member Contributer

I have changed my own tires for years but this year I found the ultimate solution and time-saver. On a NC-focused motorcycle forum, I found a guy near me who bought an entire tire-changing setup and he will change motorcycle tires (off the bike) for $10/tire! That includes balancing too. It's a no-brainer for me.

• Member Contributer

I have changed my own tires for years but this year I found the ultimate solution and time-saver. On a NC-focused motorcycle forum, I found a guy near me who bought an entire tire-changing setup and he will change motorcycle tires (off the bike) for $10/tire! That includes balancing too. It's a no-brainer for me.

You mean that gr8vfr cat -- if you can get past for former Marine thing he's a good guy... he also has a ton of maintenance videos for the VFR and other bikes on his YouTube channel.

376018517_07ee51172a.jpg

For breaking the bead I use a slide hammer from northern tool, about 4' long heavy and has a special shaped face that fits perfect between the bead and rim. It is designed to break truck tire beads. Its in the isle next to the HD truck jacks and giant tire spoons for truck tires. Its a little pricy at a little over $100 but a few tire changes it will pay for itself.

Just set the rim on some blocks of wood and carefully tuck the buisiness end of the hammer under the edge of the rim. Slide the hammer a couple times and the bead is broken in 5 seconds with no damage the tire or rim.

Geez, for $80 I'd buy the Motion Pro thingy that do double duty as spoons...

Also, a part of the reason for doing them myself is so I can do them late at night, or whenever my schedule dictates. I have a terrible time getting to shops during their business hours, though I recently found a small shop near my house that will do them for $35 if the wheels are on the bike, and another place that will do them for $10 if I take them off first.

• Member Contributer

You mean that gr8vfr cat -- if you can get past for former Marine thing he's a good guy... he also has a ton of maintenance videos for the VFR and other bikes on his YouTube channel.

376018517_07ee51172a.jpg

No, It's guy in Raleigh. His screen name is getbent on ncsportbikes.com. Great guy.

• Member Contributer

NO way!!!!!!!! I have used one of those to squeeze a tire for mounting, till it broke. But no way will that break a Bead on a 180.

Uhh, what won't work?

• Member Contributer

Jeeze just rig up the two 2x4's with a long leg so you can lay the horizontal arm on your back/shoulder when rotating the wheels. I don't see how some of you use clamps, not saying it doesn't work, but usually you gotta break the bead in a few places. Lay the wheel/tyre on 4x4's.

How about how when I attempted to change my first modern bike tire, I failed miserably attempting to break the bead.

However I just played with the clamp on my garaged bike, and it moves the bead enough to where I would imagine I will be able to get a tire spoon in. I'll take the wheel off and see about getting one bead off then back on.

• Member Contributer

Front - Bench wise.

Rear - Drive over the rubber with a car.

If I was changing my tires any kinda often, I'd get the equipment for it.

Once per year, my method works just fine.

NO way!!!!!!!! I have used one of those to squeeze a tire for mounting, till it broke. But no way will that break a Bead on a 180.

Uhh, what won't work?
The plasitic squeese toy

No dice with the clamp, nor the 2x4 method. All I've accomplished so far is lifting my car up in the air...

Leaving the tire in the sun while I try a new recipe for lunch, pulled carnitas.

I suppose I'll bug the neighbor to see if she minds me using her truck.

• Member Contributer

If you aren't planning on re-using the tire you might try cutting it off with a hacksaw, chainsaw, box cutter, or angle grinder. :ohmy:

I've used a big wood clamp a couple times like the one below without too much effort.

wood-clamp.jpg

• Member Contributer

logsplitter.jpg

Call me crazy, but this is what I use to break the beads on my motorcycles, atvs, tractors, and trailers. I have an assortment of scrap 2x4 and 4x4 pieces to protect the rim from contacting any metal parts of the machine. Several years back I was getting my butt kicked with an atv tire that just would not break, after hours of trying everything I could think of, I saw the log splitter in the corner and showed that tire who was boss. I have used this method for several years now without any problems. Care must be taken to avoid damage, but it definately does the job,

Archived