'84 Vf750F Project

CBVFRbikeboy

Hi Ian, im new to VFRD and came across this post,

I have a very nice set of the cams with the oil hole as mentioned by Phil, i am in sydney and you are more than welcome to them for a good price if your ones dont turn out.

I can post a pic if you are interested.

rgds

Dan

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the inside of the tank was pretty manky. I had to take it in to a locksmith because none of the keys I have would open it. Wasn't all that impressed when I got to look inside.

On the other hand, it gave me an opportunity to try the electroysis method to remove all the rust.

electrolysis01.jpg

Something must be working because its bubbling away quite nicely.

how does this work? Never heard of this method for rust removal before.

• Member Contributer

how does this work? Never heard of this method for rust removal before.

It's quite a widespread technique for de-rusting tanks. Basically you fill the tank with a solution of water and sodium carbonate (washing soda), make yourself an anode of mild steel and place it in the tank making sure it doesn't contact any metal, connect a battery charger positive lead to the anode, and the negative lead to the tank's metal. The theory is that all the rusty bits will be attracted to the anode, leaving the good metal untouched. It's a slow process, taking days rather than hours, but I have the time so I thought I'd give it a go.

This is the tutorial I followed: http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-From-A-Motorcycle-Gas-Ta/

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

I can hardly wait for you to select a color scheme...love those wheels by the way but I am biased.

Lets Go!_edited.jpg

Freedom and Duty

• Member Contributer

I can hardly wait for you to select a color scheme...love those wheels by the way but I am biased.

Thanks. Nice pics. She'll be done in the stock scheme, as in the pic on the first page. I've only been able to source US-spec decals, so they'll have to do. Same basic layout, but labeled Interceptor. I can live with that.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

There is a guy who is familiar with our forum who does professional decals. I think he is at CBR decals dot com but he can do the VF750F decal as well...SebSpeed knows how to reach him if that is the wrong web addy.

• Member Contributer

There is a guy who is familiar with our forum who does professional decals. I think he is at CBR decals dot com but he can do the VF750F decal as well...SebSpeed knows how to reach him if that is the wrong web addy.

Are you thinking of Mark at CBDecals? He's my go-to guy for all my decals, and top quality stuff, but unfortunately he hasn't got the aussie model in stock. I did ask him about modifing the US version (practically the same) but he said they're so backed-up he won't have a chance to do any custom work for ages.

84vf700f-full-kit-layout-BLUE-BIKE-500w.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

yeah, that's the guy.

want me to see if I can get them from a former co-worker who is back in Japan?

• Member Contributer

yeah, that's the guy.

want me to see if I can get them from a former co-worker who is back in Japan?

Thanks for the offer. Are you talking OEM? I'm not sure I could afford the Honda prices :-( I think the application process is more complicated as well? They're not printed on vinyl like the aftermarket stuff, which is a doddle to apply.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

I think the OEM pricing may be less than many think...I am not sure of the process for application but it may be more complicated than simple vinyl.

• Member Contributer

Get in touch with Kevin Sigler aka Throttlepimp here on the forum. His quality is better than CBDecals, and his prices are much better.

thanks seb. Have PM'd him, so fingers crossed :fing02:

Can you slow down Ian? You are starting to really embarrass me with my lack of progress on my R's. Only just liberated the motor from the 85 model 2 days ago.

• Member Contributer

Can you slow down Ian? You are starting to really embarrass me with my lack of progress on my R's. Only just liberated the motor from the 85 model 2 days ago.

No sweat Jeff. I'm not up to the paint yet, just a bit of pre-planning because I've been held up by decals in the past. Rest assured everything is still in bits ;-)

assembly01.jpg

total extent of re-assembly

now get out there and do something :-)

ian

No sweat Jeff. I'm not up to the paint yet, just a bit of pre-planning because I've been held up by decals in the past. Rest assured everything is still in bits ;-)

assembly01.jpg

total extent of re-assembly

now get out there and do something :-)

ian

That looks about the same state my 1100F resto has been in for 3 years. Time is the enemy of hubands. Every time I think would be a good time to spend a few hours in the shed, my wife finds many other jobs for me.

• Member Contributer

Sorry Mr. Webster. My son came over today, and we were looking for things to do :wink:

motorIn.jpg

as you can see, things are getting tight in the shed :unsure:

looks amazing! I cant wait to see the end result. my bike is slowly coming together as well.

What did you use to clean the engine?

• Member Contributer

Gold com cast, might be a Euro spec. I had an 83 that I bought in West Germany. Good luck, great motorcycle. It's was my first.

• Member Contributer

We have a roller :blush:

roller.jpg

... then I realised I should have fitted the chain-slider before installing the swing arm :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

looks amazing! I cant wait to see the end result. my bike is slowly coming together as well.

What did you use to clean the engine?

Thanks ;-)

Just good old-fashioned elbow grease, then scotchbrite pads for a key for the new paint. Not my favourite job, but one of the most rewarding.

cheers

ian

We have a roller :blush:

roller.jpg

... then I realised I should have fitted the chain-slider before installing the swing arm :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha , I did exactly the same thing on the 1000RE. Really embarrassing to be sitting there admiring the rebuilt rear end and realise there is one small problem.

• Member Contributer

Ha ha ha , I did exactly the same thing on the 1000RE. Really embarrassing to be sitting there admiring the rebuilt rear end and realise there is one small problem.

I hate it when that happens :wacko:

Archived