'84 Vf750F Project

CBVFRbikeboy

Looks very nice Ian. I hope mine looks half as good when I'm done with it.

What colour scheme are you going with?

On the topic of the other bike behind - Avon make radials to fit, both front and rear.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Looks very nice Ian. I hope mine looks half as good when I'm done with it.

What colour scheme are you going with?

Thanks Jeff. I have no doubt your projects will be at least as good a mine, if not better. I'll be doing the stock red white and blue. Always thought they look best in that scheme.

Good to know about the Avons too. Are you running them? I'll have to keep them in mind.

cheers mate

ian

I have a set of avon radials for my 85 resto, the 84 R came with new sport demons on (pretty much the only thing which wasn't f***ked on the bike).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Have a spare tank to help position those decals, and the sidecovers are straightforward, but had to make a stencil to help me align the tail piece stripe

stencil.jpg

now all I have to do is match the blue paint. Having the PPG code didn't work out in the end. Seemed to be the only Honda blue my paint guys didn't have on computer :-(

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

Would photos of a NOS tailpiece be any help?

Not as much as the tailpiece itself :wink:

I think I got it sorted Jeff. The piece I have is in good nick, just faded on the top surface. It seems to have worked well enough to be an accurate positioning guide.

Your shed must look like the back room of a Honda spare parts counter I reckon.

cheers

ian

good idea with the stencil! I didn't do that and had to do it by eye. if there ever is a next time for me I'll definitively use that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, I'm just about all out of patience. Is there a trick to re-fitting an exhaust system on these motors? At the moment I have the front headers loosely fitted, and I'm trying to jack the muffler up to locate the rear two. I have the gaskets fitted to the rear headers, so they could just slide into the coupling, which I've opened out from its clamped state. No matter how much I wiggle them around, they don't want to slip in. This is an aftermarket system, but was fitted to the bike before I tore it down, so I know it fits.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks

ian

may be different, but on my 500 I had to use a little more force than usual (rubber mallet), but they finally sorta snapped into place.

• Member Contributer

a little more force than usual (rubber mallet)

That would be a last resort I guess. The V4 is relatively new to me, and I'm a bit reluctant to go the bash, fearing there's something I'm missing.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Damn it! trying to chase a few powdercoated threads and broke my first ever tap. Time to bust out all those internet handy hints on how to get the sucker out :wacko:

tap.jpg

ian

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Had to use an Isolator coat on the lower cowl because due to its flexibility (I guess) it's painted with a different type of paint that reacted badly with my Acrylic primer. I've run across this before primarily with front mudguards made from a similar plastic, and you have to remove all traces of the old paint before priming. This piece was a more complicated molding and I wasn't sure I could get it all, so an Isolator primer was recommended by my paint guy. He reckons the original finish was most likely enamel, and incompatible with the acrylic.

isolatorCoat.jpg

Man there's a lot of parts to paint on these things. And I haven't included the tank!

primer.jpg

Should get to shoot the base coat tomorrow. :wink:

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

Can you slow down Ian? You are starting to really embarrass me with my lack of progress on my R's. Only just liberated the motor from the 85 model 2 days ago.

No sweat Jeff. I'm not up to the paint yet, just a bit of pre-planning because I've been held up by decals in the past. Rest assured everything is still in bits ;-)

assembly01.jpg

total extent of re-assembly

now get out there and do something :-)

ian

That looks about the same state my 1100F resto has been in for 3 years. Time is the enemy of hubands. Every time I think would be a good time to spend a few hours in the shed, my wife finds many other jobs for me.

Maybe this will work for you...when you think it might be a good time to spin some spanners on the VF...ask the wife for a sexual favor, mine just kicks me out to the garage when I try that... :tour:

• Member Contributer

Am I right in thinking this system will fit my VF750F? Still struggling with the different model names :wacko:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151022471369?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

501-2201.jpg

cheers

ian

I don't think that exhaust will work out of the box for the 750F.

IIRC the engine in the chain driven F models was rotated around the crank shaft to better balance the COG and provide additional clearance for the steeper fork angles required for a sport bike.

It may be close enough to modify though...

For the broken tap, the first thing you should try is a small punch and hammer. Taps are hard and therefore brittle - you should be able to shatter it and pull the pieces with a magnet.

If that fails, grinding stones on a Dremel are the next best thing. Make sure you have all of the pieces out before you start a new tap.

Looking forward to your paint.

Before I get anything powdercoated, I thread in some cheap hardware store metric bolts and then after the powdercoating is done, remove the cheapie bolts and replace with the factory hardware.

That way, no residue in the threads.

• Member Contributer

For the broken tap, the first thing you should try is a small punch and hammer. Taps are hard and therefore brittle - you should be able to shatter it and pull the pieces with a magnet.

Thanks Seb, that's what I ended up doing. Smashed that little sucker to smithereens :biggrin:

Looking forward to your paint.

Base coat is on. I didn't take any pics, because it looks just the same as the white primer :wink:

Should get the white pearl on tomorrow. Which will probably also look just like the white primer in pics. Decals on after that, then masking for the blue.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

Got a chance to apply the red stripe decals to all the panels:

tankDecal.jpg

redDecals.jpg

Then it was on to masking off the white areas

tankMasked.jpg

Then finally the blue paint:

tankBlue.jpg

Got the wings to put on the tank later, then some clear coats when this has had a chance to cure.

I like painting :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Sorry for taking so long getting back to you re the cam mods.

Basically what I did, if I remember correctly, was measured the bleed hole in the plugs in the ends of the cams and then drilled a hole directly in the back of the lobes at about the same diameter.

Make sure that you chamfer the edge of the hole well.

Then I made some aluminium plugs that I could press fit in to the bores in the ends of the cams, after I removed the welsh plugs from each end.

Also make sure that you clean all the drillings out of the oil ways before pressing in the plugs.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, measure the lobe height as a bike of that age, and an early one at that, I would expect to have worn.

Cheers

Phil

Archived