Opinion On This Battery: Xtax12-Bs Xtreme Permaseal Agm Battery

marriedman

My battery died due to my own stupidity, and I need to buy another one. I was expecting to spend about $100, but when I went to BatteriesPlus they were starting at $50! I talked to the guy working and he said that the only difference between their "top shelf" model and the next lower model is the warranty. 2 years vs 1 year.

The one that I am considering is the following:

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/32748-XTAX12--BS-Xtreme-Permaseal-AGM-Battery/558-CC/4419-Motorcycle-Batteries/137093-Honda/VFR800FI-Interceptor/800CC-1998-to-2001.aspx

Anyone have experience with this battery?

• Member Contributer

That looks ok. I have no experience with that specific battery, but I've had good luck with parts store brands and WalMart batteries as long as I keep it on a Battery Tender.

And I killed a "premium" Yuasa in a year without a Tender and without regular use.

So, I recommend a Battery Tender and whatever new battery you like! :fing02:

How much difference was there in price between the 2 batteries? If the 1 year warranty battery is $50 and the 2 year is $80, it might be worth the extra $30.

I bought a battery locally from Advance Auto Parts. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was a 1 year warranty battery. It was dead in 1 year and 8 days. The original Yuasa lasted 5 years. After the Advance Auto Battery, I went back to another Yuasa and got 4 years out of that one. I now have a 12 cell MOTY in there. It's been in about a year now, so we'll see how long it lasts.

I ride several times a week normally. If I don't ride for more than a week, the battery tender goes on the bike (until I got the MOTY battery). Not sure why the Advance Auto battery didn't last, but I won't be buying another one from there unless I am stranded somewhere and that is the only option.

How much difference was there in price between the 2 batteries? If the 1 year warranty battery is $50 and the 2 year is $80, it might be worth the extra $30.

There is only a $30 difference in price, but there is no difference in battery. Literally the innards are identical, only the label, posts, and where it was assembled is different.

Burns - that's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Anybody tried those lithium ion battery's

I think mello dude has one of those on his 98. But they are pricey from what I understand. Tiny little thing too.

Yeah - I'm running a lithium iron polymer battery assembled by MOTY design. Really like it. The thing about it is that you have to remember that these dont like cold and need to be brought inside during the winter. Also overnite in sub 40 temps, such as a road trip, they will loose their punch. Some VFRD friends found out the hard way. ---- (no matter to me, I mostly dont ride in low temps anyhow, and if I would get caught there, I would just pull it off the quick connect and bring it inside) - For me the thing is, doesnt need a trickle charger and stays charged a long time. Just checked mine and its been sitting 4 months - its at 13.49 volts, awesome. Low weight, 1.75 lbs, no maintenance, higher static voltage, no acid, and a quick connect. Works good for me. Is it for everyone? No. Consider the cold temp thing.

Best prices on the LiFePo (the only LiFePo maker that acknowledges the cold temp issue that I've seen)

http://www.rbbatteries.com/motorcycle-batteries.html

MOTYdesign

http://www.motydesign.com/

Shorai is another LiFePo style

http://www.shoraipower.com/

-------------------------

For grins, a really, really nasty battery test of the more standard tech style AGMs/Gels

http://www.boulevardowners.com/cafe/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=157926

• Member Contributer

Anybody tried those lithium ion battery's

Yeah, I have an 8 cell MOTY. That's what Wera803 was talking about, too. He tried the 8 cell but had difficulty on a regular basis in cold weather so he traded up to the 12 cell. Mine is ok 95% of the time in my VFR. I have one in the RC51, and it is useless on the first start up of the day, no matter what the temp. All day after that it is fine.

The individual cells are (I think) 1.5 volts, there or thereabouts. Various combinations of series and parallel connections boost them to 12 volts (Actually they tend to rest at 13+) with the difference in 8 and 12 cell being the cold amps. The two big cylinders of the RC51 are too much for it cold. The V layout of the 800 seems to tax it more than an inline, and maybe oil viscosity makes a difference. A 600 track bike would never notice the difference between an 8 cell LiFePo and AGM. Maybe even inline 1K.

I depend on my battery and my bike, no time to risk what if?

Just buy the ST1300 (direct fit) agm batteries , they work, I rarely ever tender a battery, but my bikes rarely go a week between rides. I think I paid around $80 for this last st1300 battery(thats cheap). A $50 battery, Im not going to hold my breathe, and I dont like down time.

AGM's in my area usually run the area of $100+, so there is very little cost savings between the two.

Buying local , you'll pay double usually, especially for an agm. But the st 1300 agm will cost more than the standard AGM, but its also MORE of a Battery.

AGM's in my area usually run the area of $100+, so there is very little cost savings between the two.

Buying local , you'll pay double usually, especially for an agm. But the st 1300 agm will cost more than the standard AGM, but its also MORE of a Battery.

Always a good thing. :)

Not sure about the one that the OP listed, but I bought this one (ST1300) from Batteries Plus two years ago and it is working fine. $96, I got another $20 off with a coupon.

33723.jpg

That's the one that is on sale right now for $65. I didn't get up there this weekend to get it, but I am glad to hear your experience with it. Reafirms what I am hearing from some others.

• Member Contributer

I purchased and installed an AGM battery, from BatteryPlus, in my friends 05 Kawaski Ninja 500 23 months ago. She does not use a BatteryTender or any type of charging device. Her bike sits outside for long periods of time without being started/ridden. The least inexpensive battery ($50-60) was used.

Go Buckeyes,

Kevin in Atlanta

Native of Wooster, OH

• Member Contributer

I always take Saito or Delo batteries, they are dirt cheap and have no problems.

There isn't much that can go wrong with a battery other then going bad over the years, they all do.

And Lithium is not something I want under my seat, these batteries are pretty dangerous....just ask Boeing how dangerous they are, and they often die more quickly then old-type cheap batteries.

If you know how dangerous they really are, then you won't buy them at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery#Rapid-discharge_issues

If the electronics fail (sometimes they do, ask Apple and Boeing) then you sit on a bomb :tour:

Besides that, those batteries don't last as long as oldfashion lead batteries.

Lithium batteries do not crank at low temperatures (makes the term CCA an oxymoron) and they don't run at the voltage that the bikes was designed for.

Unless you have some strange need to spend large amounts of money on an inferior product, to save a couple pounds of weight. Go for it. Better you than me.

Archived