Windshield Advise

YTvfr

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

I'm a fairly tall guy 6'5 with 35'' inseam. I've been reading up on windshield options.

I've got a set of heli-bars installed and have the option to pick up the OEM adjustable windscreen accessory for about half of MSRP.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the OEM unit? If you had to do it over, would you have gone a different route?

Also how does it install onto the exiting windscreen?

Thanks for reading.

Just received the Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen I ordered. The OEM screen is a pain to remove, whereas the ZG screen looks like it'll be a piece of cake to get ON/OFF. I plan to use the Sport Touring screen for the colder months, and swap to a "racing" screen for the Houston Summer months to get more air flow.

My experience with the OEM adjustable deflector is limited to a test ride of a VFR1200 that had it on. I'm 5'7" and the 3 positions didn't make a whole lot of difference. Personally, I don't like the acrylic plastic material, same as stock windscreen. They scratch very easily. For about the same $200 (discounted from $249 MSRP), I could buy two replacement screens.

Just my $0.02.

• Member Contributer

Hey Volfy,

Thanks for the info, That' s a great point about being able to purchase two replacement screens. Look's like I'll be shopping for an aftermarket screen.

I had a ZG Double bubble on my 99 VFR and thought it was a great improvement over stock.

You're welcome. I have a ZG double bubble on my SV1000S, which I really like. I thought about getting a DB for the VFR, but since I have more touring ambitions for the Viffer, I went with the ST screen for even more wind protection.

I also like the MRA Vario touring screen, with the small adjustable "lip spoiler". To me, it is much more pleasing to the eye than the Honda OEM add-on. I had the MRA on a Triumph Sprint ST and enjoyed it. I probably would've gone that route, but MRA doesn't make one for the big Viffer.

Look at what I had to do to remove the stock screen!

If you following what the Service Manual say, they'll have you take the whole set of fairings just like this. Well, found out some steps into it that I probably didn't have to undress her entirely, just to free the stock screen. But... I kinda like to do it once after I get a new bike, just to familiarize myself with it. Kinda like a "Prima Nocta". :happy:

Besides, I'm doing a few other mods anyway, so what da heck.

post-23836-0-90655500-1358798820.jpg

I have the ZeroGravity Double Bubble in dark smoke on my '10. I love it. I have put one on every sport bike I've owned since 2000 (and that's more bikes than I would like to admit). The build quality and optics are very high, the reduction in wind and turbulence was excellent (I'm 5'8" and 165). Plus, I like the looks. One of the best advantages of this particular install was ZG's instructions for the VFR1200. They devised a way to do the install without taking all her clothes off. The whole install took me 20-30 minutes. Zero Gravity Double Bubble is the first mod I make every time I buy a bike. Hope this helps.

Ride safe

Mark

• Member Contributer

Volfy, I'm the same, I like to go through the process of removing/re-installing plastics to get the "feel" fot it.

Having said that I've yet to do it on the 1200, just picked it up last September so it was already starting to get cold here.

Interceptorrider

Thanks for the info! I like the idea of a quickish install

Just be aware that although the Zero Gravity shields are beautifully made, they tend to be "crispy" (fragile). Much less resistant to damage when any kind of pressure or impact is applied on them. Mostly because they use a thinner material to vaccuform their shields, They fit really good because of it but the negative result is they just are not that strong.

Many taller riders buy "flip" style shields from makers like Givi too, so you might want to check them out. Thing with flip shields is, you need to try them out to find out whether the flip works for you particular height on the bike as if it's not quite right, it could result to just more turbulence around your helmet which will be bad.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I could not justify the price for that OEM wind screen accessory ($320). I'm 6 feet tall and found the stock screen pushed the wind into my upper chest. My wife's is 5'9 and her bike has Heli bar install so that brought her more upright as well so she wanted taller wind screen. We went with Givi screens and have been happy with results.

Wawa motel lot with the bags off

Stock screen puts the wind stream right on the chest which helps keep me in a nice neutral lean at highway speeds. Also results in steady clean air around the helmet for a turbulence free quiet ride. Stock screen works excellent but lower would be even better.

You can have your helmet fully in "clean" air by having a lower screen and avoid buffeting your head around, But make sure your helmet's up to it. If you have a very noisy helmet to start with, you might not like the result.

Beck

95 VFR

You can have your helmet fully in "clean" air by having a lower screen and avoid buffeting your head around, But make sure your helmet's up to it. If you have a very noisy helmet to start with, you might not like the result.

Beck

95 VFR

All helmets are completly quiet with ear plugs

• Member Contributer

I just replaced my 6 year old Shoei RF1000 with a new Shoei Quest. Motorcycle Gear (AKA New Enough) had a great price on them. $249.99

From what I understand they are much quieter then the RF1000. Once spring arrives i guess I'll know the answer. :)

• Member Contributer

Hope this is not a thread hi-jack. On the topic of quiet helmets, I've a long history of Shoei modular helmets. After seeing Dutchy's Schuberth C-3 (rather pricy) I decided to get one. While it is a great helmet with typical German over-engineering, the most noticable feature of this helmet is it's incredible quietness. I always wear ear plugs. The noise difference between the Shoei and C-3 was remarkable. C-3 is at least 1/3 quieter. It lists noise level of 84 db and with -28 db ear plugs it is so quiet at first it feels like sensory deprivation. And the helmet is actually quieter fully in the windstream than when partially exposed behind a windscreen. Great aerodymanics!

• Member Contributer
Hope this is not a thread hi-jack. On the topic of quiet helmets, I've a long history of Shoei modular helmets. After seeing Dutchy's Schuberth C-3 (rather pricy) I decided to get one. While it is a great helmet with typical German over-engineering, the most noticable feature of this helmet is it's incredible quietness. I always wear ear plugs. The noise difference between the Shoei and C-3 was remarkable. C-3 is at least 1/3 quieter. It lists noise level of 84 db and with -28 db ear plugs it is so quiet at first it feels like sensory deprivation. And the helmet is actually quieter fully in the windstream than when partially exposed behind a windscreen. Great aerodymanics!

Also have Schuberth C3 and found same thing. My wife and I do not wear earplugs and even in a howling side wind around Winnipeg (looked like we were leaning into a corner on straight highway) my wife and I were able to easily converse through our SRC intercoms between our bikes.

I've heard a lot about the Schuberth and do plan on trying one when my Shoei near retirement. the X-11 is unbearably loud and even with earplugs can still be a howler unless I have them perfectly seated in the ear canal.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

What is the height difference between the ZG double bubble and the touring one? I am 6'1" and long in the trunk. They are cheap on EBay right now

Found this on ZG website, did a screenshot, I guess the difference is shape of airstream and how high up it will hit me, still uncertain which one I should look at...

post-72-0-55841800-1369245092.png

I just replaced my 6 year old Shoei RF1000 with a new Shoei Quest. Motorcycle Gear (AKA New Enough) had a great price on them. $249.99

From what I understand they are much quieter then the RF1000. Once spring arrives i guess I'll know the answer. :)

I have the qwest and yes its is a little quieter than the 1000.... But the new GT is even more quieter, so I've heard

Might spring for the shuberth

What is the height difference between the ZG double bubble and the touring one? I am 6'1" and long in the trunk. They are cheap on EBay right now

Found this on ZG website, did a screenshot, I guess the difference is shape of airstream and how high up it will hit me, still uncertain which one I should look at...

I installed the ZG Sport Touring screen in Feb. Much better than the stock screen -- but still get wind directly on the helmet with no turbulence.
From memory, I think the Sport Touring is about 3.5 inches taller than the Double Bubble. The ZG website has the dimensions.

I have a ZG ST screen and its great for the half of the year when its relatively cold around here. It's too tall for me inthe summer as it cuts out too much wind. I use a Puig as a summer screen.

• 1 month later...

does anyone know if the "Zero-Gravity" logo on their windscreens is a sticker or is it etched into the plastic, I'm not a fan of logos, and will buy the windscreen if it is just a sticker i can remove

• 2 weeks later...

Archived