Shamu Top Speed ?

RevRay

• Member Contributer

How fast is fast, today on an open stretch of highway I got the whale to 160mph. Whats your top speed?

Since it's restricted to 250km/h (155mph) that's my regularily achieved top speed and then it show's 268km/h (167mph).

Not really worth a discussion if one doesn't remove the limiter.

I have removed the limiter, it does 270 km/h

Is that 'real' speed (as in GPS reading) or speedometer? Hardly seems worth putting a speed limit for that last 2 km/h...?

Brian

• Member Contributer

Are you trying to tell me you got an R1200GS up to 160?

No not on GS on a 2010 VFR, which I purchased a year ago. The bike was a press bike that the local dealership loaned out to members of the press to report on etc etc...

Is that 'real' speed (as in GPS reading) or speedometer? Hardly seems worth putting a speed limit for that last 2 km/h...?

Brian

Speedo reading

How would I know if limiter was removed?

• Member Contributer

Rev, speedometers tend to bee "optimistic". My 3g speedo reads 3-4% high, not sure what is customary on your bike. Either way 160 seems respectable. What did you want to see?

• Member Contributer

Rev, speedometers tend to bee "optimistic". My 3g speedo reads 3-4% high, not sure what is customary on your bike. Either way 160 seems respectable. What did you want to see?

I had no expectations just a long empty stretch of asphalt, two like minded hooligans out enjoying an early saturday morning ride. I was surprised to see 160. I thought 150 would find it's limit.

I'm in TX, and the highest speed I've ever seen on a public road is 85 mph on the new SH 130 toll road. (For the record, that's the speed limit! :tongue:)

On a track, I don't know, I tended to be more concerned with the upcoming turns. :smile: But I've gotten both a Mini Cooper S and a Mazda 6 (auto) up over 100 mph, probably around 120.

I'm in TX, and the highest speed I've ever seen on a public road is 85 mph on the new SH 130 toll road. (For the record, that's the speed limit! :tongue:)

On a track, I don't know, I tended to be more concerned with the upcoming turns. :smile: But I've gotten both a Mini Cooper S and a Mazda 6 (auto) up over 100 mph, probably around 120.

im jealous, that speed limit sounds awesome. id probably have to ditch my sprocket kit and actually go up a tooth up front. passing a cop at 90 and its no big deal... you suck lol

im jealous, that speed limit sounds awesome. id probably have to dit my sprocket kit and actually go up a tooth up front. passing a cop at 90 and its no big deal... you suck lol

I regularly forget I-35 if I'm headed north of Austin in favor of SH 130 from Seguin to Georgetown. Until a couple months ago, SH-130 didn't drop down below SH-45. Still, I would take I-10 east to 183, simply to avoid I-35 between San Antonio and Austin.

The main point I'm looking to make is two-fold. First, until the new section of 130 opened, I had never been charged a toll by the automatic cameras. Second, I've never seen a cop anywhere on or around that road.

Of course the day after the newest section opened, there were a few incidents. Lets just say that opening night demonstrated the dangers of wildlife (hogs and deer) at night, and the next day demonstrated that some drivers don't know how to drive at higher rates of speed. Clicky.

That said I do recall talking to one individual who maintained (on the first time out) a rolling average of a bit over 91 mph based on GPS average, and he wasn't even pushing it. :tour:

My 2010 VFR1200F stops accelerating at 157mph and then a limiter activates to make sure she goes no faster.

I had to know her limit 1st hand, so I have hit 157mph three seperate times on the bike and each time that damned limiter prevents 158mph or greater.

• Member Contributer

What happens if the throttle is held wide open when the limiter activates? How does a limiter actually work? My first experience with a speed limiter was in a Chevy Z24 & it scared the hell out of me. As I kept it floored, it was as if someone kept turning the ignition switch off & on. If it's like that on a bike, I would think it would be disastrous.

i have seen a lot of detail on the de-restricting of 1st and 2nd gear, but how do you remove the top speed limiter?

As far as I know you have to fool the speedo (uses the rear ABS sensor) that you are not going over 240km/h and the gear sensor not being in 6th gear (same way you do with 1st/2nd). If you only do the first it's said there is still a power limitation, but that I don't know first hand.

What happens if the throttle is held wide open when the limiter activates? How does a limiter actually work? My first experience with a speed limiter was in a Chevy Z24 & it scared the hell out of me. As I kept it floored, it was as if someone kept turning the ignition switch off & on. If it's like that on a bike, I would think it would be disastrous.

It's a quite smooth loss of power. You feel how you loose a bit of thrust when you hit the 157mph at full throttle, but it's as if you closed the throttle a bit yourself and after that it's like cruise control - I don't understand why they didn't built in one of these because it's the same technology.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

159.7 according to a Contour GPS, and no you can't see the video.

That is stinkin fast on a VFR...

159.7 according to a Contour GPS, and no you can't see the video.

That is stinkin fast on a VFR...

indeed it was. it was surprisingly stable. though I couldn't tell you what was going on around me.

Archived