4Th & 5Th Gen Forks The Same

they are both 41mm, but the 5th gen forks have waaay different mounting brackets for the LH brake caliper. It's for the LBS

you would be better off with 41mm CBR600 F3 forks if you wanna use your VFR triples.

F4i forks are 43mm, which would work, but you'd be transplanting the entire front end.

VFR800 caliper mounting on fork leg with secondary LBS master cylinder:

146_9806_04zoom+1998_honda_vfr800_interceptor+brakes.jpg

I was just wondering because I just bought a 99 and I literally just had Jamie Daugherty rebuild my 4th gen forks. I'll just keep the 99 as is.

Oh, you wanted to put the older forks on the newer bike? I was thinking the other way around.

In that case, yes. But you'll have to use the 4th gen calipers, or others that will fit, and lose the 5th gen's LBS front and rear.

The LBS worked great for me. I didn't delete it because I hated it.

I deleted it because it was a casualty of my RC51 fork swap.

After tossing the front brakes and changing the forks, You need to remove all the lines that run inside the frame rails to the PCV to the right of the rear shock, swap out the rear master cylinder for a CBR600F4i unit, and connect both rear brake lines to the new CBR master cyl with a double banjo bolt and bleed as per the manual with the rear calliper at 12:00 on the rear disc.

BUT, don't do anything until you get 1000 miles on the LBS to see how it works for you. It's a great system really.

• Member Contributer

The fork spacing on the 5th-gen is wider, too, so you'd have to think about which wheel, axle and disks to use. I'm sure you could get it working, but it's not a bolt-in swap. Then you'd have to swap the rear master cylinder for one with a different piston, to compensate for the elimination of the LBS circuit. It's a relatively easy swap, but you'd need an extra brake line as V8C mentioned above, or get a brake line loop made to plumb all three caliper pistons together--or drill into the passage within the caliper, which requires a re-build. (I think my research indicated that the optimal 3-piston de-linked rear brake caliper was actually the VTEC one, paired with the 600F4i master.)

Ciao,

• 4 weeks later...

This thread title suites the following enquiry I need to make...

Can anyone tell me if the 4th gen spring + spacer total length = the 5th gen spring + spacer total length

Would also be great to know the individual lengths of each.

If I'm not mistaken the following is true:

The 4th gen spring is 330-340mm spec limits. Spacer = ??

The 5th gen spring is 383-375mm long. Spacer is 50mm

The 6th gen spring is 334-328mm long. Spacer is 100mm

A mate has the 4th gen and has got his hands on a pair of Ohlins fork springs off a 5th gen and we need to know how to make them fit in his 4th gen.

Many thanks in advance.

A 4th gen has the same internals as the 92-93 third gen, and that one comes with a 427mm long spring with no spacer. So it seems the combined length of spring+spacer is the same between '92->'09 VFR.

Anyone??

All you have to do is measure the total length of the old spring and spacer, and then measure the length of the new spring by itself. Calculate the difference and that will be your new spacer length.

Yes of course... that is exactly right... but without wanting to open up the forks on the 4th gen yet.. was hoping someone had the info so we could decide whether the ohlins springs from the 5th gen were worthwhile using in his 4th gen... otherwise we'll just sell them on...

You should be able to install both the compression and rebound valves in the 5th gen forks if they are all reworked! :beer:

We want to use the 5th gen ohlins springs in a 4th gen Kevin...

A 4th gen has the same internals as the 92-93 third gen, and that one comes with a 427mm long spring with no spacer. So it seems the combined length of spring+spacer is the same between '92->'09 VFR.

Another buddy tells me the spacer is definitely longer than 100mm but he cut his up when installing some aftermarket springs and doesn't have the exact info. But taking into account all this info... your assumption is very reasonable.

The 3rd gen spring is 406-413mm long. Spacer??. (90-91)

The 3rd gen spring is 419-427mm long. No spacer. (92-93). Total 427mm

The 4th gen spring is 330-340mm long. Spacer = ??

The 5th gen spring is 383-375mm long. Spacer is 50mm. Total aprox 427mm

The 6th gen spring is 334-328mm long. Spacer is 100mm. Total aprox 427mm

Total length appears to be the same in all these gens from 1992 on...

I'm wondering about the mention in the service manual regarding "Front Wheel Travel" being 140mm for 90-93 and 130mm for After 93... which for the VTEc they word it "Front Axel Travel" and specify 120mm... so I'm not ready to just assume yet... I figure if no-one has the exact data on the 4th gen spacers, we'll just have to get our hands dirty in order to make the decision.

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Another buddy tells me the spacer is definitely longer than 100mm but he cut his up when installing some aftermarket springs and doesn't have the exact info. But taking into account all this info... your assumption is very reasonable.

The 3rd gen spring is 406-413mm long. Spacer??. (90-91)

The 3rd gen spring is 419-427mm long. No spacer. (92-93). Total 427mm

The 4th gen spring is 330-340mm long. Spacer = ??

The 5th gen spring is 383-375mm long. Spacer is 50mm. Total aprox 427mm

The 6th gen spring is 334-328mm long. Spacer is 100mm. Total aprox 427mm

Total length appears to be the same in all these gens from 1992 on...

I'm wondering about the mention in the service manual regarding "Front Wheel Travel" being 140mm for 90-93 and 130mm for After 93... which for the VTEc they word it "Front Axel Travel" and specify 120mm... so I'm not ready to just assume yet... I figure if no-one has the exact data on the 4th gen spacers, we'll just have to get our hands dirty in order to make the decision.

While rummaging in my shed.....

The 4th gen spring is 340mm long. Spacer = 100mm

Archived