Helmet Wind Damn

SinNH

• Member Contributer

Anybody use them ? I have a Shoei 700 and 900 would like to find one that fits/works with these models.

How do they connect with the lid?

• Member Contributer

If you are talking about the wind protector that attaches under the chin of the helmet I think they are called chin protectors. I think that most chin protectors are helmet specific and you should be able to get one from any store that sells helmets. The chin protector that came with my Shoei when I purchased it just fits in between the helmet shell and the chin pads. The guard works fairly well at reducing the wind noise and helps block cold air when riding in the late fall and early spring.

when it is very cold, I wear a balaclava under my jacket and a throat-cote on top of the jacket's collar.

(if you are wondering, a throat-cote is just a fleece tube)

• Member Contributer

Do a Google search for "Helmet Chin Curtain" and you willl find all sorts of information.

I have one on a HJC helmet and it does a good job of reducing the cold wind under the chin bar.

I don't really notice that it does much for reducing wind noise, but since I wear earplugs and am 1/2 deaf, I am not a good judge of that.

They are less than $10 and easy to install between the helmet shell and the liner.

I have heard that they contribute to face shield fogging, but it isn't a problem with my PinLock shield.

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty sure you're asking about this. so here's a link.

http://www.webbikewo...ind-blocker.htm

I am on my second one of these and just love it! I have had to trim the opening to allow my melon through it, but have found that both my RKT Carbon helmet and Arai Signet Q are much quieter and warmer with this on. And the 100 degree weather in Utah was just fine too!

It's called a chin curtain. I have one on my old helmet (Shoei XR1000 or RF1000 for Mrkns) that I had to buy, and also one that came with my new XR1100 (RF1100). I also have a Whisper kit, which quietens things down even more. Both the chin curtain and whsiper kit simply poke in between the liner and shell on the bottom of the helmet.

Both helmets aren't quiet: the XR1000 has lots of wind noise, while the XR1100 has less wind noise but makes a strange booming noise. I wear earplugs with both, regardless of chin curtains or whisper kit.

Archived