Home Fabbed Gps Mount

gswanson

• Member Contributer

When I received my Garmin Nuvi 205 it came with the standard suction cup mount. I used it on the bike by attaching it to the tach face, which worked well.....most of the time. It did fall off a couple of times while in the twisties and it was quite distracting to try and re-attach it to the tach face with one hand while keeping up with the group. Not a good thing. I had fabricated a simple mount for HS's Veefalo that incorporated his existing RAM ball mount, which he is still using. I decided to improve the original concept, so I started tinkering in the shop this weekend. As you can see from the pics, I came up with what I think is a pretty simple, yet sturdy mounting option. I used the bicycle steering stem clamping scheme as my model. I used some 3/4 inch od steel tubing, which fits the stem ID very nicely, and 1/8 X 1 inch steel strap to construct the mount. A 5/16 ID flat washer was sized to fit into the wedge piece and welded in place on the square end. I then welded a 1/4-20 carriage bolt to the now capped end of the wedge piece. I used the original Garmin cradle and mounted it to the arm by dilling a hole for a #8 machine screw, centered in the ball socket. I sandwiched a silcone washer between the cradle and arm for additional vibration damping. The arm was bent to present the GPS at a convenient viewing angle. Purchased parts were the carriage bolt and the clamp knob, costing a total of $6. The other material I had on hand. The mount can be installed or removed by tightening or loosening the clamp knob and positioned so that I can insert and remove the ignition key with no problems. It appears to be very solid, clears my tank bag and does not obstruct my view of the instrument panel. I did not have the opportunity to road test this set-up, but don't expect any problems. No more worries about the whole GPS falling off the bike anymore.

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

Another reason to move away from the suction mount to the tach face ...... When I did that the force of the suction cup actually caused my tach face to crack ever so slightly. After that, the suction cup would not stay attached for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I'm dreading the day when water eventually finds its way inside the tach. I've "wicked" super glue into the crack with a toothpick as best as I could, I hope that keeps it sealed from the elements.

If you ride a lot in the rain or fog, try to keep moisture/rain from getting between the steering tube and the wedge tube assembly ( you can roll on an appropriate sized O-ring on the GPS mount shaft and push it down agains the face of the steering shaft top nut) of that GPS mount as they can corrode and the mount could get really stuck to the steering tube. Many a bicycle frame and handlebar stems had been destroyed because of people trying to remove stuck steering stems caused by corrosion. A light coating of grease or anti-seize compound on the GPS mount wedge assembly and shaft can help avoid this problem.

Chombi

• Member Contributer

Good point Beck, thanks for the tip. I don't plan on leaving the mount installed permanently, only when I am travelling. Lee, I remember your wind screen mount, but I couldn't make myself drill holes in my screen.