2012 VFR1200 not available in Australia yet!

kaldek

• Member Contributer

I've been thinking very seriously about a new bike. I think I'm done with my 2002 VFR. I messed with it too much and it's still not running how I would like.

Anyway, I asked a dealer about the 2012 model VFR1200 with the TC, better dash, better mapping and bigger tank. Apparently, we're not getting these bikes until 2013 because there are still heaps of brand new un-sold 2010 models sitting around in dealers!

Right now a BMW K1300R is starting to look attractive...

I'm not at all surprised - I am still yet to see a VFR1200F in the metal. None on the street, and none in the dealerships I've gone into specifically to look at one. I've all but given up on ever seeing one :)

• Member Contributer

They've dropped the prices locally, a mate was quoted about $22K on road. That's down from about $26K and includes panniers. My 04 VFR8 cost almost $20K new with only the top box, and they're still $16K.

He also commented that he has seen quite a few 2nd hand ones with less than 10k kms for sale.

I've been thinking very seriously about a new bike. I think I'm done with my 2002 VFR. I messed with it too much and it's still not running how I would like.

Anyway, I asked a dealer about the 2012 model VFR1200 with the TC, better dash, better mapping and bigger tank. Apparently, we're not getting these bikes until 2013 because there are still heaps of brand new un-sold 2010 models sitting around in dealers!

Right now a BMW K1300R is starting to look attractive...

OMG please go on a few test rides of BMW, Kwaka etc, dont just plonk your money down on the 1200 because its a VFR... you'll still be welcome here if you dont have a VFR :)

I don't know why your having so many problems with you gen6 after replacing the motor with a later model, but honestly the VFR1200 in Australia isn't selling for a reason & I wont offer up my opinion why so I don't upset owners of that bike. The one thing I will say is the VFR1200 in Australia is way over priced & Honda MPE will never discount it to a level that makes it value for what it is. For the money you would need to spend to update you can save allot if you bite the bullet & have your gen6 sorted even if that means motor strip down & buying some new parts like complete set of sensors, injectors & even ECU.

I have no idea what you like but honestly if your thinking new go test ride the 2012 ZX14 it is a good price point for what you get with all the stuff like traction control & selectable mapping & the standard fuelling is perfect with the bonus it goes like stink. BMW has canterlever front end you might not like it so above all go have some fun test riding if that's the way you want to go.

• Member Contributer

They've dropped the prices locally, a mate was quoted about $22K on road. That's down from about $26K and includes panniers. My 04 VFR8 cost almost $20K new with only the top box, and they're still $16K.

He also commented that he has seen quite a few 2nd hand ones with less than 10k kms for sale.

Peter Stevens is now selling 2010 models for $19,900 - RIDE AWAY. Crazy.

• Member Contributer

I don't know why your having so many problems with you gen6 after replacing the motor with a later model, but honestly the VFR1200 in Australia isn't selling for a reason & I wont offer up my opinion why so I don't upset owners of that bike. The one thing I will say is the VFR1200 in Australia is way over priced & Honda MPE will never discount it to a level that makes it value for what it is. For the money you would need to spend to update you can save allot if you bite the bullet & have your gen6 sorted even if that means motor strip down & buying some new parts like complete set of sensors, injectors & even ECU.

Mate in the last 3 months I have replaced:

- Injectors

- Fuel pump

- Fuel Pressure Regulator

- Spark Plugs

- All Coils

- MAP sensor

- IAT sensor

- ECU

I have spares of all of these (since I bought that wreck), but the problem will not go away. The bike was "OK" for a while and then suddenly started pinking badly and lost power under 5,000rpm. None of the changes I did have made a difference. This all started after my stator failed again, which I also replaced. So, it's most likely electrical.

Couple the stress of dealing with this issue on and off since March 2010 with an increasing workload at work and I'm at the point now where if I have a bike which is acting up it must NOT be my daily rider which I rely on. The problems (and the need to fix them to get to work) just consume me mentally and I don't have the capacity any more.

I honestly think I'm done. I sunk over $10,000 into the bike since 2010 (which included nice-to-have parts and a repaint) and it's all been a total waste.

I am not a big VFR fanatic. I just think that VFR1200 is the best sprort touring bike I have ever ridden.

I tried BMW K1300ST before I bought the VFR. It was very nice when the speed was over 100 km/h. Below that it was very stiff. So stiff that it felt dangerous as I had difficulties to turn it in the city. Before the test drive I thought that this is the bike for me but changed my mind after the ride.

I tested also the ZZR. It felt nice in the shop but I immediatelly realized that the riding possition was too cramped for me (I'm 182 cm tall). My lower back was hurting after 5 km riding. So I skipped that also. I also rode some of the other bikes on market but nothing came close to VFR1200. it is very easy to turn in all speeds, very stable in high speed, no turbulence and perfect for touring with pillion + luggage.

Kaldek I can understand your frustration your bike has some insane electrical gremlin somewhere & needing your bike for your everyday transport makes it worse. After test rides & you end up keen on the VFR1200 look secondhand because there dam cheap in the secondhand market. Friend had one, hated it so traded on a ZX14 but took peanuts for it because the dealer really didn't want the VFR1200 because they don't sell & didn't want it taking room on there showroom floor. It was just over 12 months old & think he only received 12K for it & he paid 24K.

• Member Contributer

So unfair you Aussie guys have to pay so much...

Yeah mate don't get us started on the "Australia Tax". We'd be here for hours.

• Member Contributer

It's about time mate... have you thought about 98-99?

You mean buy an older VFR? I had thought of that, but I don't like the 5th-gen looks. I also want ABS and more power, hence looking at a 7th-gen.

Honda has brought the new 2012 VFRs into New Zealand at $27,000. The odd dealer is still off loading the 2010s at $20,000 but not many left now. Second hand the 1200 s are going around $16000. That is probably way more than Aus or US even with our dollar only worth 80 cents to yours. Even at these prices I thought the VFR1200 was worth it. I was about to buy a Triumph Sprint GT at $23000 when they first dropped the price of the VFR and the price made the difference. THe BMW k1300s is $36,000 and other than fancier electronics I couldn,t see what extra you were paying for. All personal choice I guess and fun doing the test riding and comparisons. VFR has grown on me especially the sound once I fitted a Two Brothers exhaust. Good luck with your decision.

• Member Contributer
After test rides & you end up keen on the VFR1200 look secondhand because there dam cheap in the secondhand market.

Yeah, problem is the issues with the 2010 models put me off. Huge power dip, the 18.5 litre tank and the lack of a decent trip computer.

• Member Contributer

THe BMW k1300s is $36,000 and other than fancier electronics I couldn,t see what extra you were paying for.

Wow! I'm actually thinking K1300R, and they're $24,800 ride away here in Aus. $36,000 is mental.

I didn't ride the R model, but spoke recently with a guy who collects bikes (currently has 16) and he said the K1200R was the one he always found himself choosing, not just day rides but even trips away. I'm assuming the 1300 even better.

THe BMW k1300s is $36,000 and other than fancier electronics I couldn,t see what extra you were paying for.

Wow! I'm actually thinking K1300R, and they're $24,800 ride away here in Aus. $36,000 is mental.

That's insane. They are around 15k in the US

That's insane. They are around 15k in the US

yep, bikes and cars very expensive here. That's the price we pay for a small population living on a couple of islands stuck in the middle of the South Pacific I guess. No oil, no big industry, no mineral mines, just cows and sheep. Roads and scenery are good though!

Honda has brought the new 2012 VFRs into New Zealand at $27,000. The odd dealer is still off loading the 2010s at $20,000 but not many left now. Second hand the 1200 s are going around $16000. That is probably way more than Aus or US even with our dollar only worth 80 cents to yours. Even at these prices I thought the VFR1200 was worth it. I was about to buy a Triumph Sprint GT at $23000 when they first dropped the price of the VFR and the price made the difference. THe BMW k1300s is $36,000 and other than fancier electronics I couldn,t see what extra you were paying for. All personal choice I guess and fun doing the test riding and comparisons. VFR has grown on me especially the sound once I fitted a Two Brothers exhaust. Good luck with your decision.

There was one left when I wanted to get mine two months ago. Was basically told it was that one or wait until the 2013 model is here which was supposed to be December some time. Decided to take the one left although Titanium was not the color of my choice but it has grown on me. Love it much better than compared to the sixth gen I had.

There was one left when I wanted to get mine two months ago. Was basically told it was that one or wait until the 2013 model is here which was supposed to be December some time. Decided to take the one left although Titanium was not the color of my choice but it has grown on me. Love it much better than compared to the sixth gen I had.

That's great to hear. The traction control models had not arrived when I bought mine so I have not ridden one. Would have been interesting to have ridden them back to back, did you get the chance? I have been hoping that one of the magazines would comparison test the 2012 with the BMW 1300 but can only find a test with the older model. I've done 11000 ks in a year on mine, all recreational as I have a company car so I guess I am happy. Be interesting to see how it goes down to the Burt Munroe in November, I'll get plenty of opinions on it then!

• Member Contributer
I have been hoping that one of the magazines would comparison test the 2012 with the BMW 1300 but can only find a test with the older model.

Even so, they said there was nothing splitting the two of them in that article, and felt that the VFR1200 was the more sporty bike. It's why I called the local dealer to see what's available.

I wonder what makes motorcycles so expensive in Australia. I my country (Belgium - Europe) we pay 14990โ‚ฌ for a 2012 model, but this includes 21% VAT (some sort of sales tax). Roughly, this is 19.000 Australian dollars (VAT included).

But, when you compare our pre-tax prices to the US, I feel ripped off.

So far it's an open question for me: Who makes the profit - Honda or the tax office? Or both?

I wonder what makes motorcycles so expensive in Australia. I my country (Belgium - Europe) we pay 14990ยค for a 2012 model, but this includes 21% VAT (some sort of sales tax). Roughly, this is 19.000 Australian dollars (VAT included).

But, when you compare our pre-tax prices to the US, I feel ripped off.

So far it's an open question for me: Who makes the profit - Honda or the tax office? Or both?

Someone is but not us I am thinking. Worst here is the tax we pay each year to keep the bike on the road. Over $660 for anything bigger than 599cc!

Archived