I stripped an allen bolt.

crazybrother

• Member Contributer

One of the best things to have around the garage is a set of left hand drill bits. They are great for removing broken/buggered up bolt heads.

If you don't have access, get a drill bit that is slightly larger than the bolt thread diameter. When you drill past the head the head of the bolt will come off on the drill bit and you can get the rest of the thread off with pliers, vice grips, etc. Since the allen head bolts are tapered toward the center it is easy to keep the drill bit centered in the bolt.

PS That isn't a very clear picture of the bolt unless I'm missing something.

Or did you strip out the threads in the fork leg?

• Member Contributer

Sorry for the pic quality, it won't focus at close range, only the allen head is stripped not the bolt or threads, I guess that Honda must have used threadlock on these... Why?

You never heard it from me , but maybe you can grind down the next bigger size Imperial hex and try to make that work-- plus an impact driver ( may be some heat + maybe some PB Blaster?

GL,

Jeff

• Member Contributer

Or use a moto tool to cut a slot in the screw head, then use an impact driver with a blade to coerce it out, but it looks like it might be difficult to get a moto blade in there without touching the paint.

• Member Contributer

That screw is recessed into the mudguard, so drilling will be the only option. First try hammering in a slightly too-large Torx bit, though.

Ciao,

Get a set of stud extractors. They are cheap and worked every time for me - having said that I have only used them on stripped Allen bolts, mostly brake caliper pins.

http://m.wikihow.com...Screw-Extractor

I think they are also called "easy outs" in the US.

By the way if the head of the allen bolt is still there, you don't even need to drill a hole, just get a stud extractor that fits the hole.

The key thing is to turn them anti clockwise, i.e. the same direction as if you are screwing out the allen bolt. The reverse threads will dig into the inside of the allen bolt and it should screw out.

I have read that if the screw is rusted solid this may not work, but have yet to come across this, even on an 19 year old honda ntv kept outside year round in rainy Ireland.

• Member Contributer

EZ Outs work great, I've used them many times, however they are super hard so if they break you'll will have one heck of a time getting them out, kind of like breaking a tap.

• Member Contributer

If you have a smal chisel, dig ito one side of the head of the bolt and try turning it that way. It will probably be enough for this application. Use a small hammer and many lighter taps vs. one or two wollops.

If this doesn't work, do what others have said and use easy outs.

• Member Contributer

A small pair of vice grips might be able to grab it and get it out.

+1 Always my first choice. Just wish they still made them down the road from me, instead of China.

• Member Contributer

I had to drill one out awhile back. Was easy to do, but you risk melting the plastic. Might be worth having a spray bottle of water handy to cool the bolt periodically while you work. I found I was having issues with these bolts sticking.

I think it may be a disimilar metal issue. I've been using never seize on them and no longer have a problem getting them out.

Go to Harbor Freight and pick up an impact driver and a 5mm impact bit. Make sure you grind the end of the bit off so ther is no chamfer - square and sharp. I'm betting three good whacks and it will come right out.

Quick obsetrvatin on tool use and maintenance - avoid trying to tighten or breakloose allen head fasteners will ball end wrenches, and keep your allen wrenches in good shape by regurarly grinding the tips down as they wear. A couple of things I learned the hard way with titanium fastners on the mountain bike.

• Member Contributer

Drilling it out is usually the easiest solution if you do not have an easy-out.

Take your time and ensure that you are running the drill bit in straight. Patience is a virtue.

• Member Contributer

Well, I got it out today! I went to harbor Freight... Got everything I needed... $25.00 Later (I love that place). But I didn't need any of it :ohmy: I wanted to try one last thing. I have a small set of allen tips for my electric screwdriver, so I got the 5mm one and pounded it in real hard, then got my small 1/4 drive socket wrench and popped it right off :rolleyes: Oh well, at least I have the tools for the next time this happens...

Thanks guy's for all the suggestions.

• Member Contributer

Well, I got it out today! I went to harbor Freight... Got everything I needed... $25.00 Later (I love that place). But I didn't need any of it :ohmy: I wanted to try one last thing. I have a small set of allen tips for my electric screwdriver, so I got the 5mm one and pounded it in real hard, then got my small 1/4 drive socket wrench and popped it right off :rolleyes: Oh well, at least I have the tools for the next time this happens...

Thanks guy's for all the suggestions.

LOL. Been there. Done that!!!! Glad you got through that.

Archived