givi wingrack 2 "special nut"

Ashok

• Member Contributer

Hi folks, I bought a wingrack 2 kit used on ebay and the package is missing a few nuts and bolts. Most of those I can find at the hardware store but the one thing I can't is #12 in the attached image.

It is just labelled "Special nut" with no size info.

Givi is not much help as they don't make that kit anymore.

Anyone have any pictures of it or have size information about it?

Thanks!

post-25231-0-80036900-1344271343.jpg

• Member Contributer

Where does it go on the rack? I can't see it in the image. I can dismantle mine & take a pic for you. Not sure how to measure its size though.

• Member Contributer

Where does it go on the rack? I can't see it in the image. I can dismantle mine & take a pic for you. Not sure how to measure its size though.

Thank you so much!

I've attached a picture with the special nut highlighted in red and where it goes. If you could send me a picture of it, maybe next to a tape that would really help.

post-25231-0-64305000-1344300735.png

• Member Contributer

Ok, I give in.....how do I download photos to the site?

• Member Contributer

I'll try this:

P1000226.jpg

So that is the bolt I think you want.

• Member Contributer

The bolt is 5cm long and has an 8mm nut on the end (plus another one between the rack bracket and the footpeg itself).

P1000231.jpg

Hope that helps.

• Member Contributer

(plus another one between the rack bracket and the footpeg itself) That is exactly what I'm trying to find, can you please send a picture of that with the ruler/tape if possible?

Thank you!

• Member Contributer

I don't think I explained it properly: there is one bolt, the one in the picture. Before the rack section is placed over it, there's a washer and a nut which secures the footrest. The rack then goes over the remaining protruding bolt and another nut (same size) & washer secure it. So, one bolt, 2 nuts, 2 washers.

Both nuts are standard 8mm nuts.

it is like that so when you torque down the mount, it doesn't prevent passenger footrest movement. You can use any old bolt that fits and two nuts.

(heh, heh....two nuts)

• Member Contributer

Actually, mine has 2.....small one to capture the nut, large one on either side of the rack because the hole in the rack for the bolt is quite large.

HTH

• Member Contributer

For my tube racks the nut that holds that screw that is closest to the peg is a 'shoulder' nut. It has a bit that protrudes to protect either the rack leg or the peg holder (I can't remember the orientation of the shoulder).

So, any nut will do, as mentioned above.

• Member Contributer

Here's a pic of the nut on my Givi installation - but it's a 95 VFR. The idea is the same as yours though. Sorry didn't put a tape measure to it.

I don't have the Wingrack currently installed but the bracket would slide in between the special nut and the outer nut. Does that make sense?

IMG-20120806-01059.jpg

• Member Contributer

Aha....I don't have one of those 'special nuts'. I can see what the OP was talking about now though.

Mine is still securely fastened without one of these 'special nuts'.

• Member Contributer

Presumably the shoulder helps to prevent some lateral motion as it fits into a slot on the bracket. But if tightly secured you should be okay as you have experienced.

• Member Contributer

Yup, that special nut is what I was trying to find some info on.

I'll try to find one like that at a hardware store, but it looks like it can be substituted by a regular nut.

Thanks for the responses.

Archived