1st longer ride UPDATE

• Member Contributer

Popping and backfiring in traffic

What gives

Worried about getting home

I changed the toggle switch I was using for an ignition, tightened the ground to the rear coils and repaired a shorted wire and it appears I have no more issues! It was either the grounding on the coils or more likely the crap toggle switch I was using.

Thanks again for the help

Sounds like you nay have to fatten up the carbs when you get home.

Just remember: if it was easy, we would all be doing it. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

This was a 15 mile ride mostly on freeway nice and easy below 6 grand it starts this popping and backfiring after some bumper to bumper city riding almost like the ignition is shut off for a split second, enough so that I worried about getting to my buddies house a few blocks away. We wired up my headlights so they work properly and I notice the fuel filter was on backwards so I flipped that around test rode and everything seemed fine. (a car fuel filter with same size tubes as stock but diameter is about half size). Back on the bridge 12 miles it does one quick buck and pop and on city streets it did it a few more times until I got home. On prior two test rides less then 10 miles no issues.

This was the longest and first ride after I got the ground issue on the battery solved which has a much shorter battery ground wire bolted to the chassis not engine block. The thing cranks better then it ever did now. I'll pull a plug and see what it looks like.

Fattening up the carbs would require different jets no?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

RR running hot, overcharging the battery.

It has an upgraded finned style rr now that should be getting decent air flow

• Member Contributer

The plug was very CLEAN no deposits at all, looks lean to me, but why if it is a gas problem would it only crop up after 10-15 miles?

There was a loose ground on the rear two coils that could have caused an issue?

Another test ride is in order.

if your carbs are jetted stock, they are way too lean. they come lean from the factory, and then with and end can, it gets worse.

god bless fuel injection!

if your carbs are jetted stock, they are way too lean. they come lean from the factory, and then with and end can, it gets worse.

Actually, the 3rd & 4th gens came rich from the factory. They love slip ons and an opened airbox! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Wouldn't hurt to check the electrical system anyway.

Check your tank cap vent, and the fuel lines for kinks.

Yeah checked all hoses, stupid question where is the tank cap vent?

• Member Contributer

"Actually, the 3rd & 4th gens came rich from the factory. They love slip ons and an opened airbox!"

Roger that. Seb, what do you mean by an opened air box? Just a de-snorkel or some holes drilled in it?

• Member Contributer

"Actually, the 3rd & 4th gens came rich from the factory. They love slip ons and an opened airbox!"

Roger that. Seb, what do you mean by an opened air box? Just a de-snorkel or some holes drilled in it?

Speaking of snorkels, do you just pull that rubber thing out or do you have open the airbox?

• Member Contributer

I can see where drilling holes on the front facing air box wall would be beneficial.

• Member Contributer

Actually, the 3rd & 4th gens came rich from the factory. They love slip ons and an opened airbox! :fing02:

+1 to that. - I didnt do a slip on but added a K&N to my old 4th gen and whenever I checked the plugs, they were as perfect a tan color you could ask for.

- Mbe a pair valve thing going on?

Desnorkel and an aftermarket filter.

• Member Contributer

+1 to that. - I didnt do a slip on but added a K&N to my old 4th gen and whenever I checked the plugs, they were as perfect a tan color you could ask for.

- Mbe a pair valve thing going on?

I stripped off all the pair valve stuff

Archived