New battery still no crank

• Member Contributer

If the starter clutch fails will that cause similar issues?

Starter clutch failure will result in the starter motor spinning (the "vizzzz" noise) but not turning the motor over. Different problem to what you're describing.

In case you don't know what an unloaded starter motor sounds like, you can hear it by pressing the starter button when the bike is running. The sound is quite distinctive.

• Member Contributer

known good starter, new battery, new relay/solenoid, wires seem good still won't crank

WTF??!! It tries to crank then just clicks. I don't have the side stand light hooked up but that shouldn't matter?

I bought a new gel battery since I didn't know the history of the old one, I found a good starter which turned over the bike I got it from great, 30 bucks, new solenoid, 18 bucks so what the hell is wrong with this thing?

• Member Contributer

OKOKOK I'm stupid and shouldn't be allowed to touch anything electrical.

Bad ground, I moved the ground wire for the battery to a valve cover bolt, ops rubber gasket precluded a proper ground. Cranks like crazy now!!

Thanks

PS

I have two extra nice used batteries and starters, 20 bucks each

• Member Contributer

PS

I have two extra nice used batteries and starters, 20 bucks each

Free shipping to the Netherlands? :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Does it run yet?

Runs great, it had a bad ground, I shortened up the cable and it cranks like crazy now!

• Member Contributer

is that the green ground on the right side of the bike that wasn't bolted on? lol you're lucky you didn't fry the other wires. ;-)

KUDOS on the find...

Archived