Anyone running without an oil cooler?

• Member Contributer

I was about to replace my oil cooler with a relocated smaller item, but am still unhappy with the arrangement.

Anyone already running without one with the pipes looped or similar? 3 and 4th gens are the same.

Any reports back on performance?

• Member Contributer

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me, especially considering the small size of the VFR radiator and the fact that you track your bike. I think your best bet would be to run a smaller but more efficient cooler like a Setrab or similar.

• Member Contributer

Was happy to add a cooler to start, but connecting things nicely is not there yet!

Might just be the replacement i picked up cheap from a small pit bike.?

Maybe i should go shopping again for a better shape, small rad. Am not throwing money at this as its a simple £15- second hand replacement rad originally.

But i guess the way things are going nothing short of something made to fit a specific space will be the best answer £££ rather than looking to replace with one from another bike?

Plans are to be running an electric water cooler very soon. which i have been informed keeps things cooler in general -

Enough to help with the loss of an oil cooler i have no idea??

Some experience from some who have gone without would be handy

username 'shaneliberty' ran his looped, no cooler.

my personal experience is that 3/4 gen VFRs run too cool, and makes me think bypassing the cooler with a loop could be a good idea, especially since mines much lighter and purely solo. also my personal automotive experiene tells me oil coolers are only really necessary in heavy duty towing vehicles/situations (think a fully bagged out and two up VFR is that? i think yes.)

• Member Contributer

That would fit into my reasoning sure.

That was the impression i have been left with as this was discussed a while back..over engineered vfr, but thats why it was so good as a touring road bike.

I do remember hearing the oil cooler was there as the bodywork does not help with heat loss..Its not there at all on the earlier v4 Honda, vf750 i think? which uses the same fitting pump arrangement. its simply blocked off in the sump at the factory.

Anyone here could make a hard loop to fit? Looks like im in the market for one.

• Member Contributer

I have no experience... But I plan to bypass the oil cooler all together with a VF750C oil pump. I will however be running without fairings and won't likely be on a track.

I enjoy frequently beating the ever loving crap out of my bike, and therefore I am actually looking at an oil cooler upgrade, the 'Busa cooler almost looks like it will bolt up to our stock lines without much work. And they are a hell of a lot bigger, most engines will gain power from runnning colder, its only the modern stuff that makes the best power at high temps.

Think about the oil flow to the head, fairly significant, right? That directly relates to combustion chamber temperatures. Not to mention oil viscosity and bearing protection. For me, performance beats aestethics, every time.

• Member Contributer

Think ive sussed it now..

Cheap as well... back to plan a..

Picked up a very cheap rad for a pit bike some time ago. Its not as long as the vfr one and is a row thicker. The connectors are a few mm smaller, but my hoses should nip them up.

Still want to cut and weld them steel rod connectors first. Removing all the rod to connect the block and rad with hoses i have.

Looks like plenty of room on the right side to keep things tidy.

- although i did previously run the original rad on the left. Was messy, but worked.

Also leaves room for a water pump on left without hindrance.

The best solution really is the same as the RC30. A water cooled - oil filter adapter.

I tried this using a blade cooler on the vfr, but my 2bors system front pipe does not allow room for it to fit.

Our water pump comes with the holes to drill and tap into for the hose job to connect up...

But a different downpipe is needed. Maybe the standard system allows room? I never tried.

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

So, I know it's an old as dirt thread (actually, by vfrd standards, it's old as pavement maybe?)

Any ideas what other oil coolers I can run?

My bike is naked, so, no worries about space really (though, the cbr front end fits a lttle more snug than the stock front). I'm on board for pretty much anything, can mount with the stock mounts (I think) or with just straight hose. I'd actually be interested in something odd than something correct. But inexpensive and functional are priorities. Right now, all I've got is a hose looping it around. . . cooler started leaking pretty bad and I had to take it off. . .

• Member Contributer

Cheap.... chinese rads avaliable online.. slightly shorted.. extra row... even with 10mm fittings included.

i had a stronger bracket welded on for track strength as the one it came with split after i bent it to position better.

Also cut down the standard metal oil pipe, ends rewelded on, very short and at an angle.

New oil lines now much shorter as rads mounted lower left side.

Expensive.... custom build all the way...

Ideally i would find a space under the headlight to mount as standard...cheap to replace and works 100%..

• Member Contributer

No room under my headlight anymore. . . actually, my headlight bucket may rub my fender at full compression. The oil cooler was mounted below the radiator, behind the tire, in front of the headers. . .

Is something like this what you were refrencing as cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/COOLER-PLATE-Monkey-PITBIKE-Special/dp/B00C87EJXC/ref=sr_1_66?ie=UTF8&qid=1418047808&sr=8-66&keywords=oil+cooler

Not looking for custom. I'd just find a honda one on ebay if I were concerned about it being 'right' but I definitely do want it to work.

Also, any idea if a power steering cooler would flow correctly with the viscosity of motor oil? Those seem to be closer in size to the two row cooler that was there. . .

• Member Contributer

i would say the monkey bike coolers of which there are many examples, are not the correct size...

Deceptivly large looking, but with only 6mm, or at best 8mm fitting..

Not the easyest to find and not always avaliable on ebay, the 10 mm fittings is the size your looking for. means the flow is similar to standard 10mm hose.

i found a 3 row, approx 20cm universal pattern rad. with 10mm fittings..only paid about £12.50..

• Member Contributer

Closer to this:

https://www.ooracing.com/store/cooler-oil-high-flow-compact-unit-74mm-x-180mm.html

Also, this is the space I've got on my bike right now. You can see the oil cooler in the gap behind the front wheel.

IMG 20141014 092253

• Member Contributer

That example you give is similar to the one that failed on me first try.. the right angle fitting did not leave enough room so would not seal with a hose clamp comfortably and was weak.

Have found the same cheapy i used. Replaced the mounting bracket with a larger and stronger welded mounting piece. removed the other tabs as the new weld was much thicker aluminium to take race pace shakes...

The fittings allow much improved over the example above.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-OIL-COOLER-YAMAHA-HONDA-SUZUKI-KAWASAKI-/171537840180?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27f073b834

Lasted 2 track seasons now with only the stronger weld added after first year.

If i remember correctly i even used the existing honda fittings to complete the set up...

Might also consider putting cooler in that bottom fairing...

• Member Contributer

I was thinking a square one would fit inside it nicely. Actually, I think some had a cutout. Maybe the vf1000s?

Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, I figured out what probably caused the failure in the first place. . . actually surprised it didn't fail sooner. . .

Tmac return trip

IMG 20140526 190422 compressed

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So, I've had bad luck with replacements so far. The 'universal' oil cooler was not universal. Honda and Suzuki shape their connections similar, but the spacing was incompatible. Ebay seller refunded me. The Derale oil cooler from Amazon had improperly cut threads and was unusable, so it's being returned. Anyone know where I can find some zuki oil lines that are possibly ruptured. I have this feeling I'm going to end up cutting them and sticking a hose on between that and the stock honda line end that is still in place at the other end. Also, any idea what the outside diameter is on the gsxr part?

In other news, there is a drought of motorcycle wreckers starting. Has anyone else noticed it too, or just me?

Archived