Deep/Bass heavy exhaust?

Guest Soundguy

Guest Soundguy

Hey folks,

Now that I've been riding my recently purchased 94 VFR for about 2500km since I bought her in February, I decided that I wanted an exhaust that's a bit louder than the stock can.

Since I don't want a raspy/shrieky kind of sound and favor a more bass heavy deep tone, I wanted to know how the shape/length and material of an exhaust are involved in getting such a tone.

Are there any exhausts out there that deliver such a tone? From what I know Devil and Leo Vince are pretty rumbly exhausts, but hard to get for a fourth gen.

Got any ideas?

Cheers

(pictures and introduction can be found here: http://www.vfrdiscus...6-austrian-vfr/)

DSC00302

• Member Contributer

Well IME having 2 5th gens in the garage with different pipes the stainless Scorpion on viffergyrl's has a deeper, more rumbly sound compared to the midrange bark of my 2 Bros carbon. Both pipes are very similar in size, and shape. Actually I think the 2 Bros on my bike was originally from a 4th gen as the mounting bracket that came with it didn't work that well. I just made my own mount, and it's fine now.

• Member Contributer

What I've heard of the Devil titanium cans, I love the sound, with a super low tone that really is quite different from a lot of other cans out on the market. Can't a universal slip-on be used on a 4th gen with maybe a little work done to the midpipe?

• Member Contributer
Can't a universal slip-on be used on a 4th gen with maybe a little work done to the midpipe?

I had a SV650 here for a while with a Scorpion full exhaust on it. Exact same muffler as the VFR.

• Member Contributer

Both my 1999 VFR and 2001 RC51 had the TwoBros systems on them and they were very deep. This was my main reason for going with TwoBros. However, I believe the Micron was even deeper but I don't know if they were produced for your 1994- you'll have to check. I didn't purchase the Micron because I felt the TwoBros was nicer looking and still had a deep rumble- although not as deep as the Micron.

Both my 1999 VFR and 2001 RC51 had the TwoBros systems on them and they were very deep. This was my main reason for going with TwoBros. However, I believe the Micron was even deeper but I don't know if they were produced for your 1994- you'll have to check. I didn't purchase the Micron because I felt the TwoBros was nicer looking and still had a deep rumble- although not as deep as the Micron.

The most basso VFR750 I've heard also had a Two Brothers system on it, but that's a full system, not a slip-on. It sounded like two Ducati v-twins idling next to each other :musik20:

• Member Contributer

I'm the same way about tone... Might check out DAM exhaust. Love their sound, a bit pricey though.

They make a can for all the VFR's but I can't find a youtube vid of the 1994 with the pipe, but you can check the videos on their website to hear what they make.

*** edit:

I lied... found a video, but it's kinda crappy.

*** re-edit:

I've ordered one for my 1200... haven't gotten it yet though. Seems they make them as they're ordered. Hopefully will ship next week and I'll have it within a week or two of shipment. Sounds just beastly on the 1200 which will be a HUGE improvement over the stock sound. Currently it sounds like a juiced up lawnmower.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Given that you are in Europe, I would look at Scorpion, BSM, DeVil, Renegade, Laser, or even Delkevic. Shorter 'stubby' style exhaust will be louder and more rough sounding ~ closer to your bike without a muffler at all. To get a deeper sound you need a muffler with more volume ~ I have a Staintune on my 5th gen and it has a unique sound but the smaller diameter gives a higher tone.

I also had a 4th gen with a Two Brothers high mount muffler that had a much deeper sound than my Staintune, but also a bit louder overall, at least from the rider's perspective.

One thing you might want to consider is something with a removable restrictor ~ I have two different ones I use in the Staintune, and occassionally run it without one for a week or two for fun. But it's nice to be able to change it when you get tired of things being too loud / too quiet.

Micron carbon fiber cans for the 4th gen were known to have a very mellow and deep bass sound..........if you can find one, as IIRC, Micron closed its doors a few years ago, so the second hand market might be your only place to find them, unless you bump into an NOS unit in a dealer's back room somewhere..... It was available in Aluminum too, but it was the CF can that gave the best sound, according to owners

Only drawback with the CF cans is you need to repack them after a few years and the CF can eventually deteriorate from the heat and UV it is exposed to...............that is why I have a Staintune high right can on my 95. You never have to repack them because of its stainless steel wool packing and the stainless steel finish is pretty much good for life. The can looks just as good as when I bought it around 96 or 97. It actually eventually mellowed and lowered in tone as the exhaust carbon built up in it, and it sound much better than what it did when it was new.

BTW, don't be worried about the weight of the Staintune pipe as it is only about half the weight of the OEM muffler (Around 7 pounds, versus the OEM's 15 pounds).

Beck

95 VFR

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi there,

I have a DAM exhaust on my VFR800 from 2000.

http://www.damexhaust.com/mybike.php?lang=nl&brand_id=75&model_id=214&type_id=277

This is a very small Belgian manufacturer that makes pipes by hand.

I found mine too loud but it's very deep, so I went to them and they made a db-killer for me...took them 30 minutes and it was build from scratch.

This is what a DAM soundslike:

Maybe an idea, but I love their pipes, they sound and look very cool....

Archived