Tank Bag vs paint

wolfdog

• Member Contributer

Hi. I'm a new member from Nova Scotia, Canada. I've finally broken the straight four habit and bought an '02 VFR800. I love the bike and should have made the move much sooner. It was a sweet deal with only 16K, Corbin seat, Givi hard bags and a very nice Oxford tank bag. I'm having the tank painted this winter because the previous owner used the bag all the time and it has beat up the paint on the tank. I like the idea of using the bag but would like to find a solution to the paint wear. the Oxford bag has very strong magnets and if there is any grit at all under them it's goodbye paint.

Has anyone used a barrier between the bag and the tank to protect the paint and if so what's the best material?

Thanks a lot. This is a great site!

Roger Flagg (aka wolfdog)

• Member Contributer

Thanks Tom. That looks like a good solution. Is the clear tape invisible or do you take it off when you remove the bag?

• Member Contributer

Hey Wolfdog

Welcome to a great forum. I have been very anal taking care when usin gmy tank bag but over the years i have many fine scratches in the paint. Tom i like that racers tape , might have to give that a try .......

Gary

• Member Contributer

I use a detail spray and microfiber towel to clean the tank before I put on the tank bag. I do polish and wax by hand once a year to take out any fine scratches. 4 years and 20k miles later and it looks almost perfect.

• Member Contributer

I have used this in the past works great, the 3m with the sticky back is perfect. does not leave any residue if removed (cannot reuse once removed) but when it is on it is truly invisible, they claim that the film is clear coated to be just as glossy as oem paint. and it can be polished.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin/products_ip/browser.cgi?prevtype=Motorcycles&prevyear=2002&prevmake=Honda&prevmodel=&prevsubmodel=&prevseries=&type=Motorcycles&year=2002&make=Honda&model=VFR+800

• Member Contributer

There are also new tank bags from GIVI and SW-Motech that use an attachment ring that gets mounted to the tank via the filler cap ring. Essentially the bags attach to the ring and never touch the gas tank at all. The other cool thing is that the ring mount gives them a "quick" connect/disconnect feature.

I have the GIVI T-480 and the TPH-02 Easy Lock bags, I use them interchangeably using the same ring. When I do short hauls or sport rides I use the smaller 4L bag (TPH-02), when I am traveling with my tools/test gear for work, I use the larger bag 14-22L bag (T-480). They are a bit pricey, but I would recommend them as a viable no scratch option.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

I managed 12 years w/o scratching the tank with a magnetic tankbag, ALWAYS magking sure the uderside to be free of sand.

Then a moment of carelessness.... :pissed:

Och well, let's call them beauty lines.....

If I ever buy a new bike, I will go for the system mentioned above.

• Member Contributer

+1 Duc said

locking tank bags are awesome and they mount to your fill cap ring. I've had one since I've had my bike and it work awesome, unless you forget to zip it closed and in which case your belongings become one with the road trash......

For a semi-permanent solution the 3M clear film is worth consideration. However having installed some of this stuff after purchasing a new vehicle for my wife a few years ago, I can confidently say it requires 1) mild-to-warm temperatures, 2) some tools (water bottle, squeege, etc), 3) more that a little skill plus 4) considerable patience to position, stretch and work air bubbles out from under the clear film.

Here's a link to some other products I've discovered which might be worth consideration as a less-permanant, but much-easier-to-install option:

http://mag-knight.co...ple%20Sheet.htm

http://mag-knight.com/Tank%20Pad.htm

Of course, for a non-permanent short-term solution simply stretching some heavy-duty household cling-wrap across the top of the tank should provide some potection against scratches from dirt which may accumulated under a magnetic or strap-on tank bag.

Simply apply a layer or two across the tank's surface before (very carefully) using a sharp cutter to make an opening around the fuel filler cap. Try to make sure there is a good seal along the leading edges of the film so that air pressure should not cause the film to lift where dust might blow under and accumulate between the film and the gas tank's glossy painted surfaces.

• Member Contributer

Thank you all for some great idea's. The first thing the newly painted tank will get are several coats of Liquid Glass (the best automotive finish I've found) and then some form of added protection.

• Member Contributer

you may want to wait about a month before putting anything on the tank. I have always been told to let fresh paint set for a while to let all the vapor out. this might be BS but i never wanted to risk it

I started to get some minor scratches on my RWB tank as well as it was driving me crazy. So I went this route--a little pricey-but I love it. I used it on a 2000 mile trip this summer and it was awesome. I only wish they sold a ring for my 'busa so I could use it on there as well.

post-19840-0-85993500-1328447011.jpg

Archived