Tire comparison/question?

Guest redrider740

Guest redrider740

So I'll be getting new tires sometime over winter to put on before spring time and was just wondering some things. Right now there are Pirelli Diablo Rossos on my bike and I really liked them and am contemplating getting them again but maybe this time the Rosso II. I have heard a lot of good things on this site about the Michelin Pilot Powers and was wondering how they compare to the Pirellis. I'm guessing that the Rosso would grip more but the Pilot Powers would last longer? If any of you have any input it would be appreciated. I just kind of want to see what others think about them or if any of you have personally tried both and which one you liked better.

I love the PP. I can get 3K miles... That is outstanding!

But remember my riding location and style might be much different from yours.

So please take tire comments with a gain of salt. Tire threads from a global site may not be the best option.

I do like the PR2 but I personally don't get many miles out of them, 2400.

I have heard of riders getting 11K without any issues.

The feel and feedback from them on a ST bike is amazing.

This makes No sense! :ohmy: You get 3k from the PP and 2.4k from a PR2 ???

Redrider, Pirelli makes some great tires! I've run many, but not the Rosso. Sure they are a very good tire, but doubt they or any other tires provides the grip and life of a PR2.

BR

Look at my bike list...

I run PR2 on a Concours 14 in Western Carolina. You know the area...

I destroy PR2s everytime I get on the bike.

I run PP on every other bike I own.

Again... Tire threads are useless on a global site. Everyone rides their own pace and none are the same.

I run PR2 on a Concours 14 in Western Carolina. You know the area...

I destroy PR2s everytime I get on the bike.

I run PP on every other bike I own.

It makes it confusing when you tell someone that you get less miles from a PR2 than a PP!

Your trying to compare PP mileage on one bike(848 or VFR) to PR2 mileage on another type bike(C-14)??? That's not a comparison. :ph34r:

How many miles do you get from a set of PP's on the C14? Or PR2's on the VFR? That would be comparable. :tongue:

I would run PP on every thing!

But as fate would have it... You can not get a pp 190/55-17.

The PP2CT wear out much quicker than the PR2s. MUCH QUICKER!

I can get 3K out of PP on VFRs and 848... They make about the same HP.

The PP are usually under 200.00 per set.

You don't even want to know the generic Cycle Gear Diablos... 1800 miles. Then they are so scary that I have to change them and my shorts.

If I am getting 3K on PP there is no reason OP can't get 5K or 6K riding properly and obeying every traffic signal device.

Did I mention that I LOVE Michelin?

• Member Contributer

Modern sport bike tires are so good that any of the popular brands sport tires will work well.

They will all give you more than enough grip for even agressive street riding. Each will have slightly different handling charactaristics. None of them last very long. You will have to go with a sport touring tire if you want more than around 3000 to 4000 miles from the rear.

Performance wise, I like the Pirelli Rosso Corsa, but they are a bit pricey. The Dunlop Q2 is probably the best performing tire in the class, but they wear out quickly. They are what I am using now since I can usually get them for 200 bucks shipped. Pilot Powers are hard to beat for a balance between performance and wear.

• Member Contributer

I think these threads spark up more fire than anything short of me making a bad joke against Dutchy's bad bike outfits!!!!

I converted from the BT-16's to Pilot Power 2Ct's and absolutley love them. I bought them based on all of the feedback on here and on the website I bought from. Everyone was saying they get 6-9 k out of a set. I put about 800 miles on them this month and I love the tire but I can see some wear on the outter compound. I've also been nowhere but the twisties so it really depends.

I think these threads are a good way to get some different input from different areas, but again, at the end of the day it's your ass in the saddle. Buy what makes you comfortable and hits 3 or more of your main goals (speed, longevity, cornering, stablility, compound, etc) and I think you will see - more and more as technology improves, most tires out there will fit that group so it's down to what you think.....

In one ot the latest test I saw that had the Rosso II it came out on top but the differences with other sport tires are very small. In another test I've read the Dunlop Sportsmart came out on top. It wasn't best in the wet or dry or long lasting, but it came second in all of those making it a great all round sport tire.

Bridgestone BT016 pro 262 punten

Pirelli diablo rosso ll 262 punten

Dunlop sportsmart 258 punten

Michelin powerpure D 258 punten

??? You can. Michelin 190/55/17 are available in PP, PP2CT, PR2, PR3, Power One & Pilot Pure. The same tires are also available in 190/50/17

• Member Contributer

But remember my riding location and style might be much different from yours.

So please take tire comments with a gain of salt. Tire threads from a global site may not be the best option.

I have heard of riders getting 11K without any issues.

The feel and feedback from them on a ST bike is amazing.

..........................learn some throttle control.

3k 2CT's

6k PP's

......and I ride like an idiot.

??? You can. Michelin 190/55/17 are available in PP, PP2CT, PR2, PR3, Power One & Pilot Pure. The same tires are also available in 190/50/17

I only buy from JakeWilson.com due to their discount teir system. I purchased 9K worth of tires from them last year.

They only offer 190/50-17 in the PP. I doubt PP will be available much longer. Always something new on the horizon.

The sides of the PP2CT wear to quickly as do any dual compound tire when you only ride in the mountains.

6K on tires for a Altima is not that good.

As for thottle control... WTF??? I hope you are joking since you probably don't ride a fraction of the miles which

I do in a year and I never go more than 100 miles from Tail of the Dragon and never ride straight roads...

I almost hit 25K mountain miles this year. Poor weather hindered a lot of my riding time. But I did get a lot of wet riding in.

Waste of time, arguing on the internet about tires.

I won't be coming back to read the relies... Flaming gets old on forums.

I would run PP on every thing!

The PP2CT wear out much quicker than the PR2s. MUCH QUICKER!

I can get 3K out of PP on VFRs and 848... They make about the same HP.

The PP are usually under 200.00 per set.

You don't even want to know the generic Cycle Gear Diablos... 1800 miles. Then they are so scary that I have to change them and my shorts.

If I am getting 3K on PP there is no reason OP can't get 5K or 6K riding properly and obeying every traffic signal device.

Did I mention that I LOVE Michelin?

I agree with BR on the no sense and comparison, but I get 2000 mile on a rear ppower and double that on a road 2, and there's nothing Legal about my riding.

I dont see how a road 2 would not easily beat a Ppower on the same bike, atleast Ive never seen it happen. Assuming pressures arent being a detriment to tire Life.

But on your connie, what tire do you run to extend life that can Meet the road two's traction level??

I only buy from JakeWilson.com due to their discount teir system. I purchased 9K worth of tires from them last year.

They only offer 190/50-17 in the PP. I doubt PP will be available much longer. Always something new on the horizon.

And they also only offer one spec tire? Because for your concours you might be better off getting the PR2B.

Common sense would suggest that if you wear out your tires on the sides, dual compounds won't do anything for you. In fact it is plausible that a PR2 'might' wear out faster than a PP (side wear-out folks only) because the flex characteristic of the harder center compound of a PR2 may introduce a little more loading on the sides when leaned over. I just making that up, more as a point that it is plausible that gr8vfr's observations are legitimate. If I remember correctly, SEBSPEED made a similar observation a few months back, asking whether the higher price of the PR2s justified the slim mileage margin he was experiencing, especially when they start sliding around in their last stages of life. I gotta agree with the 'greasy' feeling PR2s have in their last 30% of life, especially before they heat up, which takes awhile up here is Canada...sometimes.

Brian

In fact it is plausible that a PR2 'might' wear out faster than a PP (side wear-out folks only) because the flex characteristic of the harder center compound of a PR2 may introduce a little more loading on the sides when leaned over. I just making that up, more as a point that it is plausible that gr8vfr's observations are legitimate.

Brian

That's the whole point! gr8vfr is Not doing comparable wear test! ie: It means absolutely nothing that Dunlop Roadsmarts on a Ninja 250 gets different mileage than Dunlop GPA's on a GSXR 1k, they are not related in any way and so provide no usable comparison.

Just like saying his C14 wears out PR2's faster than a 750 VFR wears out PP's, they are Not related in any way and it provides no usable info. If you want to compare PP's to PR2's than you need to run both them on the same bike riding the same style and roads in order to make a reasonable comparison. :ph34r:

I can just about guarantee that he would wear out PP's faster on his C14 than he would PR2's as would PR2's last longer on his 848/VFR than PP's! :tour:

A usable comparison would be that I avg. 2200 miles on a set of PP's and 3200 miles on a set of PP/PR2 combo On my VFR.

BR

Common sense would suggest that if you wear out your tires on the sides, dual compounds won't do anything for you. In fact it is plausible that a PR2 'might' wear out faster than a PP (side wear-out folks only) because the flex characteristic of the harder center compound of a PR2 may introduce a little more loading on the sides when leaned over. I just making that up, more as a point that it is plausible that gr8vfr's observations are legitimate. If I remember correctly, SEBSPEED made a similar observation a few months back, asking whether the higher price of the PR2s justified the slim mileage margin he was experiencing, especially when they start sliding around in their last stages of life. I gotta agree with the 'greasy' feeling PR2s have in their last 30% of life, especially before they heat up, which takes awhile up here is Canada...sometimes.

Brian

When he posted a pic of the tire, it didnt show the sides had worn to a great advantage over the center, as a result I'd expect zero life gain with a PPower.

In fact it is plausible that a PR2 'might' wear out faster than a PP (side wear-out folks only) because the flex characteristic of the harder center compound of a PR2 may introduce a little more loading on the sides when leaned over. I just making that up, more as a point that it is plausible that gr8vfr's observations are legitimate.

Brian

That's the whole point! gr8vfr is Not doing comparable wear test! ie: ...If you want to compare PP's to PR2's than you need to run both them on the same bike riding the same style and roads in order to make a reasonable comparison. :ph34r:

BR

I don't dispute that only an 'apples to apples' comparison is valid. What I meant to imply was that there was a theoretical situation where PR2s might not yield the increased mileage that most (if not all) of us see. That and a 'graceful detour' to the thread direction... :wink:

Brian

• Forum CEO

Yes tire life from one area to another will vary greatly even with the same rider depending on the road surfaces, I could imagine my tires lasting a little longer in the heart of the Dragon area compared to North Georgia cause NG has more roads with chip seal, and that stuff just slices off tire rubber quicker then asphault. The roads tend to be smoother in NC and in better overall condition, even the most backwater of roads. Road surfaces are a big factor.

Conversly average temps are much higher in the deep south then here in Colorado as well - where I find myself riding in 50-60 degree F for almost half of my ride every time I go out even in the middle of summer till things heat up with a mid day sun, not so in lower elevations where its warmer overall. My tires are usually gone after my annual trip to Tmac, but I will run 1k more miles to Oregon or CA on the west coast and still have tire left over! No more slab between the twisties but overall its cooler most of the day compared to down south so I wear out the tires more along my Tmac route compared to my PNW rides - same guy same skill level and roughly the same amount of slab to and fro, I seem to live in an oasis between the great slabs east and west, the great plaines and the high deserts. The only difference is I am riding in cooler weather for most of my ride west then east and I can get another 1k out of a PR2 going west, of course if we are talking $$ its a wash cause everythings more expensive out west.

I think that Pirelli rosso 2 have good grip, beautiful feedback and fast warming, better than any Michelin except power one :wink: ...and also Pirelli have a more modern project.The problem is that Pirelli last less than Michelin expecially the diablo rosso, diablo standard are quite better, in my experience another problems of Pirelli (and Metz) is that at the final of their life (or after 5000 km... ) the grip is much worse than Michelin

Archived