How to get USA ECU working on Euro/Aussie 6th-gen bikes

kaldek

• Member Contributer

Well folks, I finally worked out how to get a USA model ECU working on a Euro/Aussie 6th-gen VFR. Took me a while though as I had to map all the pins on each ECU until I found the culprit, but it's actually a very simple difference. Note that the following is only guaranteed on a 2006+ model bike.

• The USA ECU has two power inputs into it. They are both the Black/White wire 12 volt input from the engine stop relay, and one goes to the black connector while the other goes to the grey connector.
  • The Aussie/Euro ECU only has one power input. It is also the Black/white wire but only goes to the black connector.

In order to easily drop in a USA model ECU into a Euro Aussie bike, you will need to add a pin and wire to pin #16 on the grey connector, and then splice that wire into the black/white wire feed from the black connector. Once this is done, the bike will fire right up.

Now, there's a small "gotcha" here. And that is the fact that you need to find a connector pin from somewhere! Unless you happen to have a bunch of wiring harnesses lying around (*cough* Kaldek *cough*), your only option will be to remove one of the pins used for the HISS circuit and move that pin and wire across to pin #16 on the white connector. I haven't traced exactly which ones of these is the best source, but once I do I will add that to this post, along with some pics. :-)

If you plan on only making this a temporary modification, I would put a switch on the spliced wire feed into Pin #16 so you can safely cut that circuit before you connect an Aussie/Euro ECU back into the wiring harness. If you don't do this, I guess there is a chance that you could create an internal short circuit inside the ECU (which would be bad).

• Member Contributer

Dude, you've made so many changes, I've lost track of where you are at. How 'bout a quick history post? 2002 to '06 ecu to engine to xxxx to etc...... lol. (your wife may be getting jealous of that bike.lol.) Carry on bro.... :cool:

• Member Contributer

Forgive my ignorance but what is the benefit of the US vs. Aussie/Euro version? Normally you hear how they "tame" the US version for one reason or another. I'll probably never have to deal with this but just knowing the difference has my curiosity piqued.

• Member Contributer

Forgive my ignorance but what is the benefit of the US vs. Aussie/Euro version? Normally you hear how they "tame" the US version for one reason or another. I'll probably never have to deal with this but just knowing the difference has my curiosity piqued.

Good question! I bought the USA ECU (and wiring harness) as a cheap method of replacing my 2002 model ECU, because US bikes do not have HISS and therefore you don't need matching coded keys. What I wanted was to upgrade to the 2006 ECU over the 2002 unit, because of the benefits of the newer ECU hardware (better throttle response).

After putting that ECU in, I had other issues still related to my 2002 motor which meant that in the end I bought an Aussie 2006 donor bike for parts and used the wiring harness and ECU from that bike. That bike brought its own problems - rich running - and I wanted to go back to testing the USA ECU I bought initially.

Yes, I opened Pandora's box when I started twiddling. I just can't leave it alone!

• Member Contributer

"Yes, I opened Pandora's box when I started twiddling... "

True, but think of how much you (and we) have learned.

Thanks for sharing. :happy:

Thanks mate, I really do appreciate comments like that!! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Ahh, the HISS keys, that makes sense. Sometimes the things they leave off the US models makes it worthwhile too I guess. Thanks for sharing and Good Luck on the build.

Good question! I bought the USA ECU (and wiring harness) as a cheap method of replacing my 2002 model ECU, because US bikes do not have HISS and therefore you don't need matching coded keys. What I wanted was to upgrade to the 2006 ECU over the 2002 unit, because of the benefits of the newer ECU hardware (better throttle response).

I too had been wondering why you were going through all this. Now it makes perfect sense to me. Good job cutting a path through the forest.

I'll be following this more out of curiosity than necessity. It should make for some interesting reading.

I saw your other post regarding a code reader too. That should make for some interesting information.

• 6 months later...

Dude i just sent you aa private message asking this very question.... you ALWAYS have the answer... looks like you knew I was going to ask...

this is wickedly excellent... thank you!!

• 2 months later...

BTW... having recently performed this operation (a U.S. CPU on a Euro 2006 VTEC), I can confirm this is necessary and succesful.

I would like to add the discovery that, at least in my case, it was also necessary to realign another cable that doesn't line up causing the instrument panel and front "parking" lights to not light up.

I don't have the exact details on me right now but suffice to say if you hold the two halves of the connectors side by side, you'll see the one that doesn't line up... that is, it's other half is in a different cell...

I believe on one side of the connector it was a black/red wire... got to hunt down the exact info and post it up...

We jumpered across and bingo, lights are on!! (Fuses are there to protect you, well not you, the electricals).