Opinions needed on brake pads and chain lube.

zon

Hi all,

I have recently purchased an eight spoke wheel and I think that I may have my wheels powdercoated bright metallic sliver.

What I'm looking for are opinions-suggestions for new brake pads and a good chain lube that might help keep the wheels as clean as possible.

I know that this may be nearly impossible but all opinions, positive or negative (products to avoid) are welcome.

Thanks,

• Member Contributer

Being a creature of habit, I have been using Pro Honda HP chain lube a lot of years. Its a dry film type and a mix of Moly and Teflon, and doesnt sling off. My chains go about 25k.

-Chain wax? Ew, gross nasty stuff.

• Member Contributer

S100 chainspray white

Highest scoring in german mc magazine test for 2 years running

(Belray not in the test, maybe they donot sell it in Germany..)

Test done were:

WEAR; a chainroller is fixed in a rig that applied 200 newtonmeter pressusre against a metal ring for 3 minutes. wear surface is then measured

ADHESIVE: spray on a 12cm aluminium disc, leave and then rotate at 1250 rpm for 15 minutes

CREEPAGE :tongue: 2 glass plates, see how far is creeps up

CORROSION: testplates of cold pressured steel sprayed on, leave for one hour, then in solution 5% natrium chloride for 24 hours

they also looked if the sprays damages paint/plastics etc, but none did. And how easy/well the spray was to handle/apply

From a 100 point, S100 got 94 Also receiving top marks were 2 brands that I suspect are not sold in the US.... Caramba (89) and Procycle White (86).

Lowest scoring were MOTUL Road Plus (70) and "insufficient PDL Profi Dry Lube (50)

If people want, I can scan the full test scores, but S100 is the one to buy.

With only one brand bad, the weakest link in this procedure remains man, lazy man to be precise..... :tongue:

Why do you think I have a Scotoiler on my bike eh? :owned:

I run PJ1 Blue Label for my chain lube. Stock Honda pads. They've always done what I needed and lasted a long time.

Lubes are like engine oil, whatever fits your preference. However, I will say from my own experience to stay away from the Maxima as it always made a mess for me. That being said, using too much lube will make a mess no matter what brand you buy. A little goes a long ways.

09PJ1BlueLabel8LG.gif

• Member Contributer

I've only used Maxima chain wax and I've never had a problem with it flinging off (unless you apply too much) or cleaning it off (when I do apply too much). The reviews above are the first time I've ever heard anything negative about Maxima's product.

-Jake

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Motorex Strong. There is no other chain lube. PM Spud 746 about it.

Archived