Project 85 VF1000R

JWhelan65

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

You call that completely torn down?? :laugh:

R projects are always fun. Make sure the PC guys don't bake the wheels too hot, I've heard of R wheels loosening up after getting PC'd, they're only bolted together after all. Welcome aboard, I'll be watching this one. I see an 1100F no less.

You call that completely torn down?? :laugh:

R projects are always fun. Make sure the PC guys don't bake the wheels too hot, I've heard of R wheels loosening up after getting PC'd, they're only bolted together after all. Welcome aboard, I'll be watching this one. I see an 1100F no less.

Lets just say it is torn down as far as I want to take it :smile:

• Member Contributer

The VF1000F looks like it uses the same sprocket. I'm sure that's what you meant.

I see the CB1100F in the faster blue color... And what looks like a XN85 in the background...?

Can't recall what it said on the box but when I got sprockets for my 1KR there was a long list of Honda bikes that they fit. Did both sprockets and chain at same time.

Check the valve clearance and cams while you have the bike apart

this is what happened to my '86 with under 20K miles

IMG_20110827_143816.jpg

IMG_20110827_153629.jpg

The VF1000F looks like it uses the same sprocket. I'm sure that's what you meant.

I see the CB1100F in the faster blue color... And what looks like a XN85 in the background...?

Yep, this is the 1100F the other bike you see is an 85 GS700ES

IMG_4757.jpg

I spy a set of fancy lightweight wheels!

Yes, Marchesini Magnesium's

Very nice. Are they going on one of the bikes listed here?

I had plans for them but I dont think they will work for what I intended, so I guess they are for sale

• 2 weeks later...

Before you go nuts with upgrades adjust the valves and check the cams, I just got a whole new motor cause my cam was boned (posted pics earlier) the new motor has similar issue with same rear exhaust cam. Also all the used cams I found so far have similar pitting on the same lobe...

IMG_20111103_144342.jpg

I put whole lot of money and effort in to this bike, had I known the cam was bad would have just abandon the project early on before I rebuilt the rest of it.

Before you go nuts with upgrades adjust the valves and check the cams, I just got a whole new motor cause my cam was boned (posted pics earlier) the new motor has similar issue with same rear exhaust cam. Also all the used cams I found so far have similar pitting on the same lobe...

IMG_20111103_144342.jpg

I put whole lot of money and effort in to this bike, had I known the cam was bad would have just abandon the project early on before I rebuilt the rest of it.

Yep on the list..

Archived