Best textile jacket brand for durability

kaldek

• Member Contributer

Folks, I need your advice on getting a decent textile (waterproof) jacket, with durability.

I have been riding since 2001, and am now on my sixth jacket. Five of these were the Aussie "Dririder" brand, and the last one was RST. The list of problems I've had includes:

• Broken zipper tags
  • Broken zipper runners
  • Velcro coming un-stitched
  • Waterproof capability disappearing (so that I get very wet inside my so-called waterproof jacket)
  • Zipper itself coming apart (the appear to glue the zips to the material now!)

Right now I'm not interested in finding the cheapest option, I just need to find a freakin' jacket that won't fall apart on me and will last for years and stay waterproof!

i've had a Joe Rocket 'Meteor' for about 5 years now. structurally it has not failed except a zipper pull tab, the little fabric thingy at the end of the zipper, but that is easy to fix. the zippers and velcro are still good. it has faded from the sun.

the waterproofness is no longer there, but i think that is something you have to maintain with treatments like 'Scotchgaurd' or something like that. i live in the desert so rain is welcome and you dry quickly. i've been very happy with it.

• Member Contributer

I have been riding with a Tour Master Air Intake for the last 4 years. Velcro on sleeves wore out and I replaced it with snaps. It it great from 32 degree F to 95 degree F because of open weave and 2 liners. It is still water proof.

I have a Tourmaster Transitions Jacket. I can't speak for its durability because I have not had it long enough. I has great ventilation! but might be to hot during the summer months. Its a heavy jacket. Its an awesome jacket when it gets cool. Close all the vents and no wind gets through. I have ridden in driving rain in it and got a little wet, I have also ridden all day with off and on showers and have stayed completely dry. I would say it waterproof qualities are pretty good not great. I also scotch guard it for what it is worth. They come in a variety of different colors and you can get the pants to match. Worth checking out. I believe there are youtube videos also of the jacket.

• Member Contributer

Folks, I need your advice on getting a decent textile (waterproof) jacket, with durability.

I have been riding since 2001, and am now on my sixth jacket. Five of these were the Aussie "Dririder" brand, and the last one was RST. The list of problems I've had includes:

• Broken zipper tags
  • Broken zipper runners
  • Waterproof capability disappearing (so that I get very wet inside my so-called waterproof jacket)

Right now I'm not interested in finding the cheapest option, I just need to find a freakin' jacket that won't fall apart on me and will last for years and stay waterproof!

I have had a roadcrafter jacket from Aerostich http://www.aerostich...r-jacket-9.html for about 10 years. I am very satisfied with it (and it has not come apart, like a couple of my cheaper jackets have). Not described as waterproof (due to the armpit zipper vents), but it has a goretex layer. When I remember to wash it (once every year or two), I use a wash-in re-waterproofing liquid, to renew the water repellancy.

I was inspired to buy this jacket because I also have a one-piece roadcrafter suit from Aerostich http://www.aerostich...piece-suit.html which I picked up 2nd hand in 1994; the PO bought it in the late 1980s. I've had to *replace a couple of zipper pulls, and *a couple of pieces of velcro. I also upgraded the body armor, and *added velcro for knee sliders. And, again, when I wash it, I use the same wash-in re-waterproofing. (* That is to say, I sent it back to Aerostich to have them do this. I'm all thumbs at such work.) But it still works, and so well that I wore it to the Keith Code school back in 2008.

If you are looking for a jacket only, and for a waterproof jacket, you may want to consider one of their Darien jackets http://www.aerostich...ien-jacket.html or DarienLight jackets http://www.aerostich...ght-jacket.html both of which are described as waterproof.

I know that they're not in AU, but you might try sending them a note http://www.aerostich...act-and-visitor If you feel like calling them, it appears that their evening business hours currently overlap with normal morning hours in Melbourne.

(Also, note that their jackets do not come with back armor. Aerostich sells a couple of different types of back armor - which take up different amount of room in the back of the jacket. If you work with them to determine the correct size of jacket, go ahead & discuss the back armor with them at that time.)

You might also look at options for Rukka and Motoport and BMW, but I don't have experience with any of those.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Ron

• Member Contributer

I have a two piece suit that zips together (you can buy separately), Rev It Ignition Jacket with matching pants. Impact, slide, and seating areas are waterproof leather with mesh (textile) panels everywhere else. It has a thermal vest liner and a waterproof/windproof full liner. The liners can be worn seperately or in combo. I have been very happy with the quality...in my third season with it and still looks brand new except for the bugs . I would say however (and you probably know this) that the best way to stay really dry is to wear what you want gear-wise and buy a good quality rain oversuit to don when the heavens open up. I use a Frogg Toggs Highway series rain suit.

I bought this jacket after submitting to the southern arizona heat. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/gx_air_series_2_motorcycle_jacket.html

Comes with 2 liners 1 is a fully waterproof/ wind breaker liner and the second is a well insulated thermal liner that goes underneath the wind breaker for cold weather. Tour master, first gear, and olympia items are probably the best textile products you can get for the money. There are a lot of specials on the first gear katmandu jacket as well which has a big following.

• Member Contributer

I have an older Joe Rocket. More like a ski jacket. I don't use it anymore. Maybe the newer stuff is better.

I have an Olympia phantom suit. Way cheaper than Aerostich and super sturdy. Very good style and protection for the money. In addition to suits they make nice jackets. Nice people too and will help with sizing if you call.

I have seen Motoport textile jackets at cycle shows. Kevlar. They seem to be a very good value. Maybe not the most fashionable, but sturdy as hell and cheap for what you get. They might even custom order.

• Member Contributer

I've got a Cortech by Tourmaster Sonora Air. It's a decent jacket, but I've had issues with the velcro sleeve tabs. The velcro appears to be glued on and I've had to re-glue it a couple of times.

Like Ron said, Aerostich is one of the best, but it'll cost you. When it's time to replace my Sonora, I'm going to look into the Motoport. The kevlar really intrigues me.

• Member Contributer

Teknic Tornado has served me well for three years now. Waterproof breathable shell with removable thermal liner. I see it's not available at MC superstore any more but may be at other places.

2008_Teknic_Tornado_Jacket.jpg

Some reviews are here.

It looks like most places are out of stock on it but http://www.motorcycletoystore.com/sport/shop.php/jackets/textile/teknic-textile-jackets/teknic-tornado-textile-jacket/p_2040.html still has some in stock. I've seen it on sale as low as $89 but nowhere that still has any.

• Member Contributer

My Olympia still works like new even though it's 3-4 years old. Sleeves run a bit longer, which I need

I will say, however, I've been eying a new jacket from motoport (http://www.motoport.com). No-kidding kevlar mesh sounds really good ... lotsa coin though

11718103465.jpg

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/motorcyle-clothing/jackets/hein-gericke-psx-rs-gore-texr-proshell-jacke-lockout-schwarz.html

Sleek sporty design, thats more than suitable for touring " and the mixture of a highly functional GORE-TEX ® Pro Shell and dynamic design makes this jacket ideal for all year round use. The jacket is a comfortable fitted cut " that performs and looks above the rest. Thanks to the built in GORE-TEX ® stretch Laminatee you have complete freedom of movement giving extreme comfort even on long journeys.

• Highly breathable, durable, water and windproof GORE-TEX ® Pro Shell Laminatee designed for extreme conditions.
  • Sporty comfortable fit
  • Large GORE-TEX ® stretch material
  • Additional padding on shoulders and elbows
  • Width adjustment at waist
  • 2 side vents
  • Ventilation at the back
  • Removable, washable inner liner

• GORE-TEX® Pro Shell, Leather & Stretch Laminatee
  • Extreme Wet Weather Construction
  • Armacor® Product Technology
  • 80% Polyamid, 17% Leather, 2% Other, 1% aramide fibres
  • Membrane: 100% Polytetrafluorethylen (GORE-TEX®)
  • Removable Lining: 100% Polyester

heingerickepsxrsgoretex.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have a brother that has an Aerostitch Darien that's over 11 years old...still works, nothing has broken and it's still waterproof. He also has a Roadcrafter that's 5 years old, he recently crashed his FJR while wearing it...held up great. I have a Darien that's two yeras old...never let me down.

Before the Darien I have owned a Tourmaster 3/4 jacket...good durability but the waterproofing lasted only about one year. An Olympia AST that was never waterproof, leaked very badly, on the first ride...the day I got it in the mail incidentally. (they were very good about it, tried to help and promptly refunded me my money) a Firstgear Killiminjaro thats three years old...still works. A five year old Tourmaster 3/4 light...good light duty jacket but don't get within the same state as any rain. A Tourmaster sport jacket...same story as the others, good durability but not waterproof as claimed.

My room mate just bought a Gerbings ladies hybrid LT jacket...very nice jacket but it's stricktly for winter use because of the built in heating elements...too hot for summer use.

goin on the 4th year in my Teknic Freeway. I wear it summer and winter for my daily commute and she has done me very, very well. I liked it so much, I now have a black one and a hi-viz yellow one.

teknic freeway black.gif

teknic-freeway-jacket-rear.jpg

Aussie "Dririder" brand

I looked though this web-site and the design leans heavily towards a form fit, which is fine. But when making such a garment even for the trim figured users, there is going to be a lot of stress put on any thing that holds it together. I would want to be looking for "double -stiched-seams" ; re-enforcement box-stetching at seam direction changes ; DS waterproof zippers ; DS velcro, etc...... Most importantly that the thread used is to be synthetic, not cotton.

They look great on the site but not being able to see them up close doesn't allow me to check the way they are constructed. Which is in my opinion why we need to see at least something(one item) from a manufacturer, if not the actual item we want before buying.

There are so many good products out there that will meet my likes/needs....... But in answer to your search, Olympia (nothing gained by me) is my choice of gear.

• Member Contributer

http://www.hein-geri...ut-schwarz.html

Sleek sporty design, that’s more than suitable for touring " and the mixture of a highly functional GORE-TEX ® Pro Shell and dynamic design makes this jacket ideal for all year round use. The jacket is a comfortable fitted cut " that performs and looks above the rest. Thanks to the built in GORE-TEX ® stretch Laminatee you have complete freedom of movement giving extreme comfort even on long journeys.

• Highly breathable, durable, water and windproof GORE-TEX ® Pro Shell Laminatee designed for extreme conditions.
  • Sporty comfortable fit
  • Large GORE-TEX ® stretch material
  • Additional padding on shoulders and elbows
  • Width adjustment at waist
  • 2 side vents
  • Ventilation at the back
  • Removable, washable inner liner

• GORE-TEX® Pro Shell, Leather & Stretch Laminatee
  • Extreme Wet Weather Construction
  • Armacor® Product Technology
  • 80% Polyamid, 17% Leather, 2% Other, 1% aramide fibres
  • Membrane: 100% Polytetrafluorethylen (GORE-TEX®)
  • Removable Lining: 100% Polyester

And yours for only SIX HUNDRED POUNDS.

Ah, no.

• Member Contributer

OK, to break the cycle I've decided to have my newest jacket repaired. $130 to replace the outer zip, and I'll work on the waterproofing myself using Nikwax TX.Direct at home.

I know it's expensive, but I figured it's worth at least having a repair done once to see how it changes the longevity of the jacket. The high price is explained by the fact that they do a proper job and disassemble the jacket before replacing the zip and doing proper double stitching.

I have a Tourmaster Transitions Jacket. I can't speak for its durability because I have not had it long enough. I has great ventilation! but might be to hot during the summer months. Its a heavy jacket. Its an awesome jacket when it gets cool. Close all the vents and no wind gets through. I have ridden in driving rain in it and got a little wet, I have also ridden all day with off and on showers and have stayed completely dry. I would say it waterproof qualities are pretty good not great. I also scotch guard it for what it is worth. They come in a variety of different colors and you can get the pants to match. Worth checking out. I believe there are youtube videos also of the jacket.

+1 on the Tourmaster Transition, I've got the same jacket and it seems very durable, but only had it for two years.

h_kc_hi_visibility_yellow.jpg

Of course, others have mentioned AeroStich, who are well known for their high quality and durability, so you surely can't go wrong there either.

• Member Contributer

Kal, there is a big reveiw article on textile gear in Rider magazine, September issue here in the states.

• Member Contributer

OK, to break the cycle I've decided to have my newest jacket repaired. $130 to replace the outer zip, and I'll work on the waterproofing myself using Nikwax TX.Direct at home.

I know it's expensive, but I figured it's worth at least having a repair done once to see how it changes the longevity of the jacket. The high price is explained by the fact that they do a proper job and disassemble the jacket before replacing the zip and doing proper double stitching.

"

• Broken zipper tags
  • Broken zipper runners

"

These are the problems you listed in your first post. I think I actually paid $190 for my Teknic tornado retail and I've had none of these problems over three years or so. Seems to me that repairing your jacket might be throwing good money after bad.

2008_Teknic_Tornado_Jacket.jpg

Just sayin'

When looking at stitching, check the end of a part to see if they back stitched it (which locks the end from coming undone)........ you should see a 2nd short(--------)row that is real close or on top of the stitch line.

snip

Rukka will fill all your needs.

I wear my 12 year old Aerostich Roadcrafter probably 80% of the time, if you have the $ I highly recommend going Stich. I also have a Teknic Sprint jacket that is pretty decent. No longer made but Teknic offers a couple 3/4 length jackets that are similiar. If I am being picky my biggest gripes on the Teknic are the vents don't work that well which is true of every non mesh coat I have experience with except the Roadcrafter and the list is quite long including other Teknic products, TourMaster/Cortech, Joe Rocket, FirstGear, Fieldsheer, and 2 "off" brands I can't recall. The other gripe is Teknic's waterproof system, it works but the liner is on the inside so the outside of the coat gets soaked.

This maybe obvious but in case you can't try on the coats while sitting on your bike be aware of the coat length. I know I have issues with 3/4 length and touring length jackets when riding my VFR, Duc, and RD's with clipons.

Archived