Best textile jacket brand for durability

kaldek

• Member Contributer

The other gripe is Teknic's waterproof system, it works but the liner is on the inside so the outside of the coat gets soaked.

I have the same issue with my Olympia Viper. I find the rain travels down my arm between the jacket and the liner, right into my gloves! :pissed:

• Member Contributer

The other gripe is Teknic's waterproof system, it works but the liner is on the inside so the outside of the coat gets soaked.

I have the same issue with my Olympia Viper. I find the rain travels down my arm between the jacket and the liner, right into my gloves! :pissed:

If you're not wearing a waterproof overjacket like Frogg Toggs that goes over your glove gauntlet, you need a glove that will fit under your jacket sleeve completely. You probably already knew that...

Teknic is hard to beat for the money. I have owned and used Teknic, Tourmaster/Cortech, and Firstgear. Of all the commerically produced gear, I believe these are the best bang for the buck. When they have failed (stupid things like zippers or tabs), those compaines all took care of me, out of warranty or not.

I have the TM GX Air Jacket and it is AWESOME!!!! The best jacket I own because of it's versitility. Good luck!

• Member Contributer

Teknic is hard to beat for the money. I have owned and used Teknic, Tourmaster/Cortech, and Firstgear. Of all the commerically produced gear, I believe these are the best bang for the buck. When they have failed (stupid things like zippers or tabs), those compaines all took care of me, out of warranty or not.

I have the TM GX Air Jacket and it is AWESOME!!!! The best jacket I own because of it's versitility. Good luck!

Jon, you say you've had good customer service with Tourmaster out of warranty? One of the zippers on my Tourmaster overpants has been acting up, but is now broken. They're about 2 years old, so I wasn't going to bother contact them. But if you've had good luck with them, I guess I will contact them. Thanks.

Yes sir, I sure have. I just called and used the nice young lady's first name, told her how much I liked their stuff and was friendly. Perhpaps that was the difference I do not know...but she was very nice and promptly handled my issue!

• Member Contributer

Slightly off-topic, but as I donned my trusty Dainese Belzebù paddock jacket on a chilly morning last week, I noted that it had survived 15-20 years and was still going strong (not to mention being oh-so stylish...)

g.dainese%20belzebu.jpg

Hey, I liked the styling then, and I see no reason to change my mind!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Wow I forgot to post a status update. Anyway my jacket is back and the craftsmanship is excellent for the repair. My jacket is the primo model from RST, the paragon 2. It has both DWR and gore-tex style material inside it so it was worth the repair.

• Member Contributer

The new Alpinestars textile look nice. I like the hi-viz mesh one. I don't need another jacket, though. Nor can I afford one. But if I was in the market, I'd look real close at the AStar.

• Member Contributer

Aussie "Dririder" brand

I looked though this web-site and the design leans heavily towards a form fit, which is fine. But when making such a garment even for the trim figured users, there is going to be a lot of stress put on any thing that holds it together. I would want to be looking for "double -stiched-seams" ; re-enforcement box-stetching at seam direction changes ; DS waterproof zippers ; DS velcro, etc...... Most importantly that the thread used is to be synthetic, not cotton.

They look great on the site but not being able to see them up close doesn't allow me to check the way they are constructed. Which is in my opinion why we need to see at least something(one item) from a manufacturer, if not the actual item we want before buying.

There are so many good products out there that will meet my likes/needs....... But in answer to your search, Olympia (nothing gained by me) is my choice of gear.

Good thread - I'm in the market myself.

But anyway, check-out Monk's Navy aircrew life support training/experience coming to the fore - very impressive my friend :happy:

• Member Contributer

+1 on the Tourmaster Transition, I've got the same jacket and it seems very durable, but only had it for two years.

h_kc_hi_visibility_yellow.jpg

I will contribute my two bits on the Tourmaster Transition:

My trip this summer gave it a definite test in all weather conditions. My jacket arrived the week before I left on my six and a half week tour (coast to coast Canada and four corners of the States) when I wore it daily in all types of conditions. Since then I have added a few miles to it. At this point I have ridden about 35,000 km with this jacket. (I think mileage is a better indication of jacket age than actual physical age, because a jacket that is only taken out a few times a month isn't going to show the same wear as a daily rider or tourer).

1. Colour: Very visible but disappointing how quickly the hi viz yellow faded - evident after the first six weeks (25,000 km). If I compare a section of the jacket from underneath the belt to the rest of the fabric significant fading is evident. The most fading seems to be on the top of the back (shoulderblade area). It sunbleached quickly.

2. Water Resistant: In a light rain the jacket does very well, but a heavy rain makes it through the jacket, especially around the elbow area. I won't bother putting on a rainsuit if I am riding through light drizzle, but as soon as the heavy rain appears a rainsuit is a necessity. A few times on my trip I misjudged the rain and was soaked to the skin as the water wicked up the lining.

3. Temperature Range: Excellent. A lot of venting kept me comfortable in the high temperatures of Florida and Arizona. When open the vents on top of the shoulders act as an air scoop, picking up the jacket to let the air flow through. Most of the time I was cool enough as long as I was moving. If I were exclusively riding in the hot I probably would choose a lighter, better vented jacket, but if you are limited to one jacket this is an excellent choice. In cooler temperatures (Canada. Do I really need to say more? Been riding below freezing a number of times with this gear) this jacket does a decent job of insulating with liner installed. Colder temperatures definitely need the addition of a neck tube or scarf, as there is enough room at the neck for cold air to flow down the jacket. That's a minor quibble.

4. Craftsmanship: Very well made. So far the jacket has held up well. Zippers are heavy duty, seams are well stitched. I have a few places where the fabric is fuzzing a bit from contact with the velcro on my gloves - very minor and definitely under the catagory of normal wear.

5. Washability: Once you remove the pads you can wash the jacket in a home washing machine (hang it to dry). Makes for easy care, but I have some road-stains that I can't seem to get out of the fabric. Likely much more visible because of the high viz yellow colour.

Generally I have been happy with this jacket, with the two criticisms about water working in around the elbows and significant fading of colour in a little over six weeks.

My previous textile jacket, a Joe Rocket Ballistic (the cheapest version of it), had a lot of stitching coming out of the seams which I resewed a few times. It never really had the fit and finish that said quality construction.

Archived