Heated Grips

• Member Contributer

I'll second the DualStar grip heaters. Used them on my ST1100 and my VFR. I had occasional issues with the round rocker switches, because they were not waterproof, but they are cheap and easy to replace. I'm currently running the OEM ST1300 heated grips because I like the cool controller and I got them for less than $60 through a miracle of circumstances.

Consider getting the Symtec system. Works great, easy to install, cheap...cheap...did I say cheap (but well made. Mine cost me something like 15 bucks. when I got it)? Plus the heating is balanced because the heating grids are different from left to right to compensate for the effect of the plastic throttle barrel.

I've had one for over 3 years now on my 95 and it hasn't let me down yet.

Never did like the old fashoioned looking hard grips that Hotgrips typically provided with their system, plus you have to deal with mounting one of those ceramic resistors on your bike that I think gets quite hot. They might have changed them already, but I also remember the Hotgrips had an ugly looking switch in their kit that looks like it came from a WW2 army vehicle.

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

Cool! I'll check them out.

Seems like switches should be easy to switch out. Hello Radioshack!

Thanks Guys!

Jim

Several years ago Duel Star changed their heaters to like the Symtec using a hotter heater on the left bar, Also DuelStar sells the nice flat round switches for a $5 option as the stock switch is a crappy bar type.

BR

I use symtech and the switch is crap, but I ride in the rain alot and the switch is not tucked under the screen like some have done. Replacing the switch evey couple if years is no big problem for me.

• Member Contributer

I second the symtec's. I too have had some issues with the rocker switch but when I called them about the problem, they sent me two replacement switches for free! Have used them on four different bikes with great success and easy to install. I see that you live in San Jose, you can ride on up to California Sport Touring in Rodeo and pick them up (in stock).

• Member Contributer

I am running Dual-Stars, but I think they are repackaged Symtec's. The design is the same and I doubt Dual-Star makes their own being a small company and all.

Guest Goosechef

I have a set out of Show Chrome. They are better than the set I had to replace. This unit is sealed with silicone so there will be no vibration/moisture issue inside the board. You will like what ever you get. They help good gloves. If you have the grips and crappy gloves, you will still have cold hands.

• Member Contributer

I use symtech and the switch is crap, but I ride in the rain alot and the switch is not tucked under the screen like some have done. Replacing the switch evey couple if years is no big problem for me.

I went through this issue last night.

I've been noticing that my grips were not as hot on high as they were on low so I attacked with a multimeter last night and believe I found the problem.

I checked the resistance of the switch through both the high and low terminals to center, and found that the resistance was .5 ohm through the low terminal and 1.8-2.5 ohms through the high terminal. Obviously the switch was moved to the appropriate position for the test. I then sprayed some WD40 in the switch by dripping it adjacent to the rocker itself, then flipped it back and forth about 50 times to scrub the contacts inside. The resistance afterwards was .5 ohm on both high and low settings. I then tested the amperage draw through both high and low by reconnecting both the high and low side terminals but placing the multimeter between the hot wire and the center terminal. I noted about 1.5 amps on low and 2.8 amps on high (from memory) so I think I've found the problem.

I guess these switches need to be protected from the weather.

I have not tested the grips on high in a real world test yet.

I don't know whether the WD40 is partially responsible for correcting the resistance readings or if it was just cycling the switch. I don't want to take the switch apart to actually find out whether there is any weather protection built in as they are often impossible to re-assemble.

The lesson here is either get a weatherproof switch or place it somewhere out of the weather.

BC

• Member Contributer

On the rocker switches, I've had some success water proofing them by removing the rocker part and filling the cavity with dielectric grease, then reinstalling the rocker. You just have to be carefully not to lose any parts, and part it back together properly.

• Member Contributer

I have hot grips and they are great...very, very, hot...so hot in fact, that on high you will have to remove your hands from the grips periodically, even with gloves.

• Member Contributer

On the rocker switches, I've had some success water proofing them by removing the rocker part and filling the cavity with dielectric grease, then reinstalling the rocker. You just have to be carefully not to lose any parts, and part it back together properly.

Thanks for that. I tested the grips on high this morning and they are back to normal lava temperature so my switch fiddling worked at least temporarily. I will take your advice and disassemble the switch to add some grease. Is your switch the round black one like this picture shows as opposed to the big metal locomotive headlight switch?

symtec_heated_grip_kit.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that. I tested the grips on high this morning and they are back to normal lava temperature so my switch fiddling worked at least temporarily. I will take your advice and disassemble the switch to add some grease. Is your switch the round black one like this picture shows as opposed to the big metal locomotive headlight switch?

Yes, it was the round black rocker switch that gave me problems. You can carefully pry the rocker out of the main body. As I remember, there is a spring or two inside that you want to be careful with. The metal switch, while ugly, works great when you add a water proof condom to it. S-D-420479-1_med.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yes, it was the round black rocker switch that gave me problems. You can carefully pry the rocker out of the main body. As I remember, there is a spring or two inside that you want to be careful with. The metal switch, while ugly, works great when you add a water proof condom to it. S-D-420479-1_med.jpg

Where might one find this swithc set up? Looks like the answer to me! Any part mumbers would be most helpful!

• Member Contributer

Where might one find this swithc set up? Looks like the answer to me! Any part mumbers would be most helpful!

I think I bought the condom at Home Depot years ago. They had the switches too, but I used it with the metal switch that came with the first heater kit that I installed on my ST1100. Marine/boating supply stores might have them as well.

I use the dual stars, with a rocker vs a toggle switch. Mine is tucked under the windscreen so no issues. There is a condom deal available for round rockers too...I bought a bunch to look at and I include them with the switches I sell.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I installed my HotGrips yesterday. Model # 475-875.

I've had these sitting in my drawer for 2 or 3 years - just finally got around to installation as I didn't want yet another really uncomfortable late Fall / early Winter commute experience.

I love them! Rode today for the first time albeit in really nice Fall weather. They look clean (I'm OCD and routed wires, taped and zip-tied everything properly), heat up to reasonable temperatures and are generally easy to install for anyone with intermediate mechanical skills. I'm so now looking forward to the colder weather (not really - ha) now that the most significantly cold part of my body (hands) on bad days has been addressed.

The most challenging parts of the whole install are (1) routing the wires and resistor appropriately and (2) finding an appropriate power source/lead. I tapped a thick red constant +12v right after a 30amp fuse behind the battery for now. I have to go to Radio Shack or something tomorrow to get a relay as I'm worried I might one day forget to turn the thing off or worse, some idiot in the City is messing with the switch on my behalf one day lest I come out to a dead battery.

Net net, I'm very happy.

-Freddy

• 4 weeks later...

I also have the Symtec Heated grips however I didn't use the rocker switch provided. I used one purchased at a local Electronics store with a rubber boot for protection, installed an LED to let me know the grips are on, fuse protected and even installed a relay so that when the bike is on (12v from number plate light to coil), power is given to the switch but if the bike is off, the grips wont stay on. This relay is also responsible for the power to my USB ports (for charging music players on the go).

I mounted the switch and LED on the inner black panel on the left hand side of the tank. It's unused space as far as I can tell and perfect for mounting all the bits and pieces. I'll see if I can dig up a photo.