Rear wheel stand

Guest Civilizeddog

Guest Civilizeddog

Getting ready to bring the bike in for a big winter overhaul and was looking at rear wheel stands for this bad boy. I noticed that some VFR owners are using standard rear stands (the stands typically designed for bikes with arms on both sides) by sliding a piece of pipe through the hole in the swingarm's hub and proping it up using the two ends of the pipe as contact points. Has anyone here done that and is it effectively secure? I have an opportunity to pick up one of these stands for pennies on the dollar and would like your 2 cents, thanks!

You can use standard rear stand on the back of your Viffer, if you jack up the bike to get a bar between the two spool supports. Or for that matter you can do the same with two jack stands and a piece of pipe. Done both, but it limits you some as you can't remove or install the rear wheel or run the bike in gear.

I just picked up one of these and it's great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3984Q2em1423Q2el2649QQitemZ250859567333QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT

Pull/install rear wheel, don't need to jack the bike up to get it under it and you can run the bike in gear as the pin rides in two bearings so it spins freely.

Note I did Not buy this exact one, found almost identical one on Amazon.

Yeah man, I've seen those, was gonna snag one but read a few posts from riders who complained about their bikes coming off of the pin while they were working on them. Not sure how that could happen unless they pushed against the bike but I decided to hold off until I checked some other options, but $40 for that stand is not a bad deal, thanks for the tip.

• Member Contributer

Yeah man, I've seen those, was gonna snag one but read a few posts from riders who complained about their bikes coming off of the pin while they were working on them. Not sure how that could happen unless they pushed against the bike but I decided to hold off until I checked some other options, but $40 for that stand is not a bad deal, thanks for the tip.

No experience with that stand, but having the bike running can cause vibration to walk it off the stand if it leans at all...

Turbo your absolutely right, when it comes down to it the bike value outweighs the cost of a good, trustworthy stand. I'll be cleaning the carbs soon which means I'll also be running the engine to sync them, don't want any problems with a crummy stand just cause I saved a few bucks.

• Member Contributer

I love Pitbull stands! Even though I don't have one for the VFR, I have a conventional one for my RC51, and a front. Single Swing Arm stand from Pitbull is on my list, for sure.

American Made! :fing02:

I've got one of these and I'm very happy with it. It's very sturdy.

http://www.motorcycl...garm_stand.html

I've got one of those too. Mine seems to lean a bit from the weight of the bike though. I've never had issues, but do think Pit Bull stands are a bit more sturdy and confidence inspiring.

• Member Contributer

I love Pitbull stands!

American Made! :fing02:

For your Japanese bike - lol!

Just bustin your balls. I'll be getting a PB for the VFR.

Yeah well, I didn't buy a Chinese copy of a Japanese developed bike. :fing02:

Found a great stand on Pit Bull's website, about $140 but looks like it'll stand the test of time and I plan on having the Viffer around for quite a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I know this post is a little old, but I got this for for Christmas this year. Not sure who makes it but for those of us in the north, You can order one from Royal Distributing for $120. Not sure if I'd pull the centre stand and leave the bike on it all winter, but it's great for adjusting the chain

285daf2d.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

For those of you with the PSR single sided stand. How much does it tilt? I finally got around to trying mine out, and it seems to tilt maybe 10-15 degrees. Does a front stand level it out? I have enough parts queued up to machine, so I need to spend a weekend at the shop. I was going to make a better fitting and longer pin to see if that helped out any.

I have every pin they offer for all makes for my PSR Mario stand(if you want measurements).

My bike will tilt on the stand, but only if forced. I've never felt it was in danger of tipping over. That being said, I've only ever used it in my shop and in my driveway, both of which are pretty smooth and level.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, my garage has a bit of camber to it, as I finally noticed with the car on stands. Tilted enough that with all jacks at the same height, it still tripods.

I have all the pins, but it feels a bit on the loose side. Maybe it is just the tilted garage floor. Otherwise the stand is really nice to use.

Archived